Used PV Equipment

Does anyone have any thoughts on the value of used PV equipment in good working order? I have a customer that no longer wants his system, and is looking to get a fair price for it. I may have a market for it, but want to know what the fair market value of used equipment might be. I am located in northern New England, and the equipment is less than five years old. Modules are Schüco on a ground mount, and the inverters is a Kaco 2501xi.

Any input would be appreciated.

Comments

• jaggedben
    jaggedben Solar Expert Posts: 230 ✭✭
    Re: Used PV Equipment

I would say the modules should be worth a bit more than half of current prices for modules (per watt), and the inverter would be worth well under half.

I would probably be happy to pay 60-70 cents a watt for five year old modules that were undamaged.

The inverter has already been through a third-to-half of its useful life, and is possibly out of warranty or will be soon or if sold, so it is worth quite a bit less compared to a new one. A new Kaco 2.5kW inverter would be around $1300 so I would probably not pay more than $400 or so for a five year old one.

That's my 2 cents.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've pretty much always felt I recieved good value from used equipment, but I tend to be careful.

I'm surprised what 12 volt(nominal) used panels bring, here in central Missouri $1 a watt or even more for recent name brand.

I think if you check ebay "completed items" and look at what things actually sold for isn't a bad place to establish value. I take it this is a grid tied system, you sell the Kaco inverters on Ebay as well. Panels would be a local market, unless you want to palletize them, if your near a major metropolitan area I would advertise there, the thought being that even your local people will be looking at advertisments in the metro area.

Craigslist is a good spot and free, to start. They don't allow battery specific advertisments.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

The specs on the panels would make a difference too. "Standard" 12 or 24 Volt panels offer a wider range of applications, and thus more market. Small panels (less than 100 Watt) cost more new, and may or may not have more market used.

I agree with jaggedben about the inverter. You can test a panel and if it puts out close to Isc it will probably be good for years to come (barring accidents). An inverter that works today may quit tomorrow, and its 'new equivalent' probably is both better and less expensive than the old one was when new.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

The people who buy on eBay for single panels are ...shall we say idiots! They routinely pay way more for a used panel than a new one costs, when you sell them by the each. If you are selling a bunch and don't want to go thorugh the headache of selling each one, a price about 1/2 what a new on is worth is a good starting point.

Bottom line is what are they worth to the seller to move them' or the buy to get them. I will pay a bit more for ones that are close to me, but if they need to be shipped, it gets expensive in a hurry.

Tony
  • solarix
    solarix Solar Expert Posts: 713 ✭✭

The problem with used grid-tied equipment is that if you are trying to get utility rebates or even tax credits, the equipment has to be new. Our utility inspector joked one time that because we had 0001 kWHr on the meter (cause - ya, we tested it to make sure everything works) they could deny our rebate money - as the system is "used". Only thing used equipment is good for is small off grid systems. The Kaco inverter is only good for intertied systems. And as PV modules have come down so much in price, I wouldn't give more than half of wholesale (about 45 cents/watt) for 5 year old ones.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    icarus wrote: »
    The people who buy on eBay for single panels are ...shall we say idiots!

While I understand you are talking about used panels, I have three times purchased new panels on Ebay in pairs, cheaper than they were available any where else, including shipping! It use to be common for panels to be packaged in pairs, and they could still be shipped by UPS/FedX.

That said it is amazing to me that people get good money for cracked panels on Ebay. I guess there is a buyer for anything...

I would think local Craigs list would be the way to go, and if your an installer, you might work something out, on dismantling the system and keep the grid ties as spares for inverters that have to be sent back for repairs/service... but then again I guess you can't do that since it would likely require inspaction by the power company...
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • peakbagger
    peakbagger Solar Expert Posts: 341 ✭✭✭

Craiglist and Uncles Henry's has used solar equuipment listed on occasion. Unfortunately with the current price drops, the current owners are in for a shock when they list them for sale. The market for used solar is "thin" so how quickly the owner wants them gone makes a big difference. I have run into folks who have bought used gear for real cheap when the owner was moving and needed to move the gear quick.
  • rollandelliott
    rollandelliott Solar Expert Posts: 834 ✭✭

"I would probably be happy to pay 60-70 cents a watt for five year old modules that were undamaged."

ONe can buy new panels for around 70 cents a watt now so if panels last 25 years a 5 year old panels would command a 20% discount right away or 56cents/watt.
    I wouldn't pay more than 50 cents a watt.

that being said I've looked at a LOT of used solar gear and most sellers were asking more than I was willing to pay and some sucker came along and bought it anyways.
  • jaggedben
    jaggedben Solar Expert Posts: 230 ✭✭
    "I would probably be happy to pay 60-70 cents a watt for five year old modules that were undamaged."

ONe can buy new panels for around 70 cents a watt now so if panels last 25 years a 5 year old panels would command a 20% discount right away or 56cents/watt.
    I wouldn't pay more than 50 cents a watt.

I guess you've got the super hook-up, or you are buying a megawatt. Anyway my point was based on prices around $1.10/W which is what you can get around here (California) without spending too much time looking. Multiply your local price by 80 or 75 percent or so for used panels, that's the point. Keep in mind most degradation will happen in the first five years, so a bit over a 20% discount is probably more appropriate.
  • Rybren
    Rybren Solar Expert Posts: 351 ✭✭
    [ONe can buy new panels for around 70 cents a watt now so if panels last 25 years a 5 year old panels would command a 20% discount right away or 56cents/watt.

Not around here.

The cheapest new I could find was over $2.00/W. I ended up buying 4 used 210W panels at $0.72/W (they were used for less than 2 years and I got the remainder of the 25-year waranty transferred to me)
  • rollandelliott
    rollandelliott Solar Expert Posts: 834 ✭✭

I'm not talking about buying 2 or 4 panels at once I'm talking about buy a palette or more at once minimum 16 panels. Enough for a 4 or 5 kw or greater system.

I've gotten 3 emails from three different companies all this past week for panels 70 cents and LESS. It's quite a common "sale" price here in he USA. I'm not just making up some pie in the sky pricing.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    I'm not talking about buying 2 or 4 panels at once I'm talking about buy a palette or more at once minimum 16 panels. Enough for a 4 or 5 kw or greater system.

I've gotten 3 emails from three different companies all this past week for panels 70 cents and LESS. It's quite a common "sale" price here in he USA. I'm not just making up some pie in the sky pricing.

Rybren is in Canada. We do not have bargain pricing here. Not on anything. :cry:
    And when you bring anything in from the U.S. they get you at the border.