todays 200w panels

ws9876
ws9876 Solar Expert Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
are these mostly 24v...??
what is the average current of a 200 watt now?? the main players..

Comments

• john p
    john p Solar Expert Posts: 814 ✭✭✭
    Re: todays 200w panels

interesting thread..??? You asking ? you telling??
    :confused:

Could the answer be "one large coke and fries please":cool:?
  • XRinger
    XRinger Solar Expert Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure if CSI makes this model anymore,

cs200-labelw.jpg

The ones I've seen lately are 220, 230 etc..
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

remember it isn't just the current you are talking about as that depends on the voltage. a 200w pv with a 24v vmp will have more current than a 200w pv with say a 29v vmp. it's volts x amps = watts so this translates to watts/volts = amps too.

the answer to your question is easily seen by looking over the specs of pvs in that wattage category for most places that sell pvs. you can start with our host, but they currently don't list a 200w pv per-say. it will give you a rough idea of what you can expect though.
    http://www.solar-electric.com/hiposopa.html
  • raydias
    raydias Solar Expert Posts: 68 ✭✭✭✭

I found this site a while back that lists manufacturers and panel specs.

http://www.posharp.com/photovoltaic/solarmfg/database.aspx
  • Peter_V
    Peter_V Solar Expert Posts: 226 ✭✭✭
    ws9876 wrote: »
    are these mostly 24v...??
    what is the average current of a 200 watt now?? the main players..

Most of the ones I see seem to be 18V nominal, i.e. 60 cells in series with a Vmp around 28-30V. I believe these are primarily intended for Grid Tie setups.

But you can easily find 200 watt panels with nominal voltages of anywhere from 12V to 24V and a few with even higher nominal voltages.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Voltage out of the panel determines application. Most charge controllers built for 12v battery banks can't handle more than 21 volts input from the panel. That's why, in our systems, in the part of our manual that shows you how to add other companies' panels to our system, we tell you to check the output voltage and make sure it's 21 volts or less. We put the same caution if you're going to bring the out put from windmill or water wheel into our system.

What application are you planning to use these panels in? That's really what determines what panel voltage you should look at, not the overall current.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

MPPT charge controllers solve a lot of problems. :roll:
    Especially if you're choosing 200+ Watt panels because you're building a high Wattage array (over 400).
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

many controllers can handle more than 21v, but the efficiency can come into play when talking of pwm controllers with that high of a voltage difference between the pv and battery and some of those pwm controllers are limited in their input voltage tolerance. there is more flexibility with most mppt controllers, but there are exceptions there too with input voltage tolerances.

know what you need before you buy.
  • russ
    russ Solar Expert Posts: 593 ✭✭

For panel specs -

Sustainable by design http://www.susdesign.com/tools.php

Design tool http://www.solardesigntool.com/

Russ
  • XRinger
    XRinger Solar Expert Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

I've never really looked at the wiring inside these panel terminal boxes, very closely..

the125.jpg

the125box.jpg

Seems like to PV arrays (inside one panel) may be in series..?.
    Is there 8.7v on that center connection? (between the two wires/ two diodes).
    Or is that some kind of floating ground?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Those look like bypass diodes used to protect a shaded section from being over voltaged/current by other cells in the strings.

I think the by pass diodes are used to prevent more than ~12 volts of reverse voltage across a series of cells to protect them.

-bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset