Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Direct TV, DishNet, DVR's power usage, and input power Modifications (Discussion)

Default Direct TV, DishNet, DVR's power usage, and input power Modifications (Discussion)

I plan to do some testing to my receiver to bypass the internal power supply. well at least open it and test the output voltages and power consumption. if all goes well I may wish to modify my Direct TV receiver to work on a DC voltage. I am interested in others comments regarding this as well as power consumption results. I will open mine in the next day or so, will post my results here.
    4x suniva 245 watt panels. 1x Outback Flex80. 8x Trojan T-105's on 24 volts. 3x 24v to 12v. and 3x 24v to 19v step down regulators

Default Re: Direct TV, DishNet, DVR's power usage, and input power Modifications (Discussion)

Don't be surprised if you find a number of different voltages are required, and supplied by the original built in power supply. Would be awesome it it ran internally on 12 volts, but I fear it will be far more complicated, just because they can make it that way.
    1900 watts PV, (1000 watts PV feeding MidNite Classic 150; 900 watts PV + 160 watts micro hydro both feeding into a single shared Morningstar TS-MPPT-60) ; Xantrex Pure Sine 1800/12 for heavy loads; Xantrex Pure Sine 1000/12 on 24/7 for everything else; six Rolls Surrette 2 volt L16 @ 12 volts.
    Domestic hot water totally provided by the sun 8 months out of every year via thermal panel.

Default Re: Direct TV, DishNet, DVR's power usage, and input power Modifications (Discussion)

you may be correct, but I am guessing the highest voltage is the Vert on the LNB, so should be 18to24v. got my hopes up., I just cleaned out my media and power closet. removed all the old AC wires and extension cords. trying not to loose any cameras or disrupting anything else. There is only 2 devices plugged into AC now, used to be 50 to 60 AC connections because of all the cameras and all the other AC to DC plug adapters. amazing what a difference cleaning it out, just to get to the direct TV box. still like a Rat's nest though.
    4x suniva 245 watt panels. 1x Outback Flex80. 8x Trojan T-105's on 24 volts. 3x 24v to 12v. and 3x 24v to 19v step down regulators

I've moved this thread to the technical section because it could get very technical indeed!
    1220 Watts of PV, OB MX60, 232 Amp hrs, OB 3524, Honda eu2000.

Ohm's Law: Amps = Volts / Ohms
    Power Formula: Watts = Volts * Amps

try searching for 'schematic' (s) plus the model number of the receiver etc, you might hit pay-dirt.
    I did on the schematic for an instant on water heater a while back, had voltages from 5 to 117v dc and ac...?? who would have guessed...
    100% Off Grid @ 51* 46' N lat 124* 44' W long

New House system: coming - 2 arrays @ 2240W
    CL150&Epanel 2 @140 W 12v PVs , 24V C&D AT-15P AGM @ 950Ah
    + CL150 2@120W 12 V panels, 24V C&D AT-15P AGM @ 950Ah
    Cotek ST1500W inverter, TBS 30a-24v Omni-charger, Honda Eu3000is,

Guest cabin system: 3 - 70W panels to SB 2000e CC, with 2 - 100 ah 12v SAFT wet NiCd's , 600W TSW Inverter

Try powering your LNB with variable voltage power supply and see at which voltage it shuts off. It may work way below 18V. Post pics, will be watching your progress.

Edit: Here is a guy who got Intel Core i5 desktop computer running at 5.9 watts. He even measured each chip's individual power consumption on a mother board.

Quote Originally Posted by AntronX View Post
    Try powering your LNB with variable voltage power supply and see at which voltage it shuts off. It may work way below 18V. Post pics, will be watching your progress.
    One potential reason that the LNB may be specced to work at less than the normally delivered voltage is to allow for the IR voltage losses in the maximum allowed length of coax from the power inserter to the dish. If you have a longish coax already, you may benefit from adding the DC in closer to (next to) the dish using larger wires and power-insert adapter. You may need to put a DC-blocking adapter next to the box if you do this.
    Sunny Boy 3000US, 18 x BP Solar 175b panels, installed 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by AntronX View Post
    Try powering your LNB with variable voltage power supply and see at which voltage it shuts off. It may work way below 18V. ...
    Won't work if the system is a Directv system. The LNB retransmits either odd or even transceivers on the coax based on a 13 or 18 volt input.
    12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is, 4.2 kw APC UPS powered either by battery or a Prius. Really.

Quote Originally Posted by techntrek View Post
    Won't work if the system is a Directv system. The LNB retransmits either odd or even transceivers on the coax based on a 13 or 18 volt input.
    Basically the same technology used by the Bell system in Canada.
    1900 watts PV, (1000 watts PV feeding MidNite Classic 150; 900 watts PV + 160 watts micro hydro both feeding into a single shared Morningstar TS-MPPT-60) ; Xantrex Pure Sine 1800/12 for heavy loads; Xantrex Pure Sine 1000/12 on 24/7 for everything else; six Rolls Surrette 2 volt L16 @ 12 volts.
    Domestic hot water totally provided by the sun 8 months out of every year via thermal panel.

Heh, interesting. Did not know that.