Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Pros & Cons of Lithium-ion batteries for solar application

Default Re: Pros & Cons of Lithium-ion batteries for solar application

This is a link to the NZ supplier that I recently purchased a 200 AMP / Hr Lithium Iron Phosphate Yttrium Battery from: http://www.aasolar.co.nz/AA%20Solar%...Batteries.html I have had the battery installed and in regular use since April, and compared to the AGM,s I was using before this battery is absolutely stunning.
    Main advantages so far:
    Compact size & weight.
    Accepts huge charge amperage (best I can provide is around 40 amps) right up to 100% state of charge.
    High discharge loads cause little voltage drop even when battery is down to 20% state of charge.
    Hi current charging or discharging has little effect on battery life. (10 year pro rata warranty)

The only draw back is the initial cost, but if expressed in dollars, per usable amp / hr over the life expectancy of the battery, the LiPo4 comes into its own.

Cheers Chris
    Last edited by Cariboocoot; December 15th, 2012 at 8:41 PST.

The prices are certainly out of my bracket at the moment. The number of cycles and DOD capacity is massive! Might have to sell a property just to do my full blown system properly with batteries like that. =)

Is there any Battery Manage System (cell to cell management) with your setup?

-Bill
    20x BP 4175B panels (replacement) + Xantrex GT 3.3 inverter for 3kW Grid Tied system + Honda eu2000i Inverter/Generator for emergency backup.

Quote Originally Posted by BB. View Post
    Is there any Battery Manage System (cell to cell management) with your setup?

-Bill
    Hi Bill, I answered this question on my "newbie" thread, but in short, I have no automated monitoring system for cell balance, but now check manually about once per month and the 4 cells are always within 0.01v, which is even better than the supplier said they would be. Cell balance is apparently no longer an issue with the latest versions of this technology.

Cheers Chris

THis months home power has an article about Lithium Ions with the pros and cons. The big issue that stood out as a con was that the BMS's currently offered lack some critical features

Here is a link to the article that Peakbagger typed about (I think, don't know how long it will be available):

https://homepower.com/articles/lithi...s-grid-systems

-Bill
    20x BP 4175B panels (replacement) + Xantrex GT 3.3 inverter for 3kW Grid Tied system + Honda eu2000i Inverter/Generator for emergency backup.

BTW here is a chance at a Lithium Ion battery for cheap. Of course no BMS or TMS unless you can adapt the existing. Scrap the car out for parts which should cover purchase price and shipping and get your battery for free.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/130826602917
    My TED 5000 system
    Sticking it to the power company one watt at a time!
    60 Ningbo Electric 175 watt panels and 12 Canadian Solar 180 watt panels with 2 PVP 5200 Inverters

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    THis months home power has an article about Lithium Ions with the pros and cons. The big issue that stood out as a con was that the BMS's currently offered lack some critical features
    The one problem which seemed the hardest to deal with is that there are currently no standard Charge Controllers which can accept an external LVD signal from the BMS, nor is there a good way to handle the situation of pack voltage dropping and/or current increasing when the BMS bypasses several full cells.
    In principle, I think that you could get a situation in which the CC is sending current full blast into a pack with all of it going through the bypasses and heating things up.
    Sunny Boy 3000US, 18 x BP Solar 175b panels, installed 2009.

And from what I little I have read, the BMS setups cannot handle more than a few amps of bypassing current--If a non-integrated charger tries to continue to pump C/10 or C/5 current into the cells, the BMS will fail or or the fail safe will open (if one is present).

-Bill

I'm not sure I understand the issue here. In the ebike and DIY EV (cars and motorcycle) world there are thousands of people using Lithium batteries with intergrated BMS and external chargers that do not communicate directly with the BMS -but use a constant current, constant voltage type of charge profile (basically bulk and float) without problems. Why should it be any different with a RE system?

If there was the need to have the CC end bulk charging with an external signal - I think the Midnite Classic can be set up to do this - I believe Midnite is implementing the ability to send a logic signal into one of the Aux ports to do just that.
    Array 1: Sanyo HIT225 X 8 on Wattsun tracker. Array 2: Evergreen ES-E-225 X 12 on shed roof. Midnite e-panel with Outback GVFX3648, FNDC and Classic 150 X 2. 436 AH AGMs. Honda eu2000i X 2. Outback PSX-240 autotransformer. Remote monitoring and control with HP netbook running UltraVNC, Wattplot, Midnite local app and Cumulus weather station software. Waiting to be installed: PowerSpout ME120 microhydro turbine and 3rd Midnite Classic 150.