Electric Meter for Net Metering ?

Hello,

I'm working with my local utility to replace my current electric meter with a model that can "net meter". I currently have a Centron C1S that only reads in the forward direction, even when I'm putting power onto the grid. This is bad - I'm being charged for power I'm making!

Is anyone out there using another model Centron (formerly Schlumberger) meter, or a Centron accessory (or other brand digital LCD display) to net meter?

By the way, my local utility (small Oklahoma town) is very interested in helping me. They just don't have experience with net metering. Any info I can give them will be extremely helpful.

Thanks for your time, Mike

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: Electric Meter for Net Metering ?

The plain old fashioned meter with the aluminum disk ( and no one-way clutch ) works just great on my system.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Noodles wrote: »
    Hello,

I'm working with my local utility to replace my current electric meter with a model that can "net meter". I currently have a Centron C1S that only reads in the forward direction, even when I'm putting power onto the grid. This is bad - I'm being charged for power I'm making!

Is anyone out there using another model Centron (formerly Schlumberger) meter, or a Centron accessory (or other brand digital LCD display) to net meter?

By the way, my local utility (small Oklahoma town) is very interested in helping me. They just don't have experience with net metering. Any info I can give them will be extremely helpful.

Thanks for your time, Mike

Here's another model Centron meter that looks like it will work for you if the utility infrastructure (the "Master Station" I guess) supports the directional metering: http://www.itron.com/asset.asp?path=/products/specsheets/itr_016104.pdf

Be advised that I have no experience with net metering.

Cheers,

Bad Apple
  • Noodles
    Noodles Solar Expert Posts: 30 ✭✭
    mike90045 wrote: »
    The plain old fashioned meter with the aluminum disk ( and no one-way clutch ) works just great on my system.

Thanks, and that is exactly what we installed today. An Elster AB1 is now installed and working great! I keep going outside to watch the meter spin backwards! (I have a Skystream wind gen pushing 10A on each phase).

When I first contacted the power company, I was under the impression that they had a bunch of Centrons like mine all over town, and that is why I asked the question about the Centrons here. But I was wrong. They actually had plenty of good old fashioned meters around(this one is brand new). These guys were simply awesome to work with.

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I hope other folks have the same luck dealing with their local power companies. Now I'm off to plan my grid-tie solar addition......Mike
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

For future reference, the local utility (PG&E in Northern California) installed a GE kV2 meter for my particular grid tied system, which allows for time of use metering as well as net metering.

http://www.gepower.com/prod_serv/products/metering/en/utility_revenue_meters/kv2_multifunc_elec.htm

Phil
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Mine, installed a couple years ago for E-7 Residential Time Of Use meter was a GE kV2cs...

The manual is here...

And, the meter has some other functions that can be accessed by holding a magnet to the left side of the meter:
    Less than 3 seconds:

Restarts the Normal Display scroll or produces one
    Normal Display scroll if an Error, Caution or Diagnostic is
    frozen on the display.

3 to 6 seconds:

Enters the Alternate Display mode for one scroll then
    returns to the Normal Display mode.

More than 6 seconds:

Enters the Site Genie Display mode for one scroll then
    returns to the Normal Display mode.
    You can read phase voltages, currents, angles, power factor, etc. with these extra modes... Kind of neat.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • neelix
    neelix Registered Users Posts: 12

We just had this meter installed, where is the generation figure on the display? I need to report this monthly to the Mass CEC for credit but can't figure it out. Is it cumulative from when the meter was installed?

Thanks

Rob