Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question On APS EPR-6 Rate Schedule...

Default Question On APS EPR-6 Rate Schedule...

I know at the end of a calendar year, under the EPR-6 schedule, APS converts any remaining kWh credits into a billing credit carried forward. But it's unclear to me when this actually occurs. In the rate schedule, it refers to "the last billing period of each calendar year" but in my case, my meter gets read and the billing period ends on or around the 8th of the month meaning, as I interpret it, that the billing credit will be generated for me on my December 8th bill and not the January 8th bill even though the latter includes a large chunk of December usage. Has anyone been on the plan long enough to have had an end of year billing credit generated and confirm my interpretation?

Default Re: Question On APS EPR-6 Rate Schedule...

I just got my PG&E credit--Not very much (something like $0.05 a kWH) but it did knock ~$20-30 or so off my bill.

-Bill
    20x BP 4175B panels (replacement) + Xantrex GT 3.3 inverter for 3kW Grid Tied system + Honda eu2000i Inverter/Generator for emergency backup.

APS interprets this as the end of your December bill. You want this to be as late as possible in order to use up the excess credit from fall generation. You may be able to request APS to change your billing date to an end of the month cycle. It is dependent on the available meter reading cycles though.
    2.7kW Trina/Xantrex GT, 3.7kW Trina/SolarEdge, 2kW CSI/SMA GT, Solar well pump on 6, 25yr old Holeck 48W modules. Toyota SR5 converted to 108V EV. Prius w/Enginer PHEV conversion. BSEE, C11-residential, NABCEP, SunnyPro >600kW installed
    "Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof." - John Kenneth Galbraith

Yes it is on the bill with the bulk of Dec on it. I noticed after a while they got my billing cycle very close to month end, plus or minus a day or so, YMMV.
    My TED 5000 system
    Sticking it to the power company one watt at a time!
    60 Ningbo Electric 175 watt panels and 12 Canadian Solar 180 watt panels with 2 PVP 5200 Inverters

Quote Originally Posted by solarix View Post
    APS interprets this as the end of your December bill. You want this to be as late as possible in order to use up the excess credit from fall generation. You may be able to request APS to change your billing date to an end of the month cycle. It is dependent on the available meter reading cycles though.
    I thought I would want this as early as possible so I could start banking peak credits for the new year.

Quote Originally Posted by solar_dave View Post
    Yes it is on the bill with the bulk of Dec on it. I noticed after a while they got my billing cycle very close to month end, plus or minus a day or so, YMMV.
    So far my bill date hasn't changed but I guess I'll watch for that. Thanks.

Well, I got my December APS bill (through the 10th) and it has determined and applied my my annual $ credit for unused solar. All of that credit was from on-peak production so I'll have the rest of December to start building on-peak credits for next summer!

I found this thread while investigating a Delivery Charge issue on my bill. The power company pays me a Delivery Charge for each kWh I send to the grid, but they will not allow the Delivery Charge line item to go negative.

I installed solar last June, living in the Phoenix AZ area. My Dec billing ended on the 31st. To me the EPR-6 reconciliation value of each On Peak solar kWh remaining at year end is worth $0.027 cents more than the value the power company assigns, but the $0.027 is not assured. For me that raises the value of my On Peak excess to something approaching $0.09/kWh.
    Last edited by Dashadeaux; February 1st, 2013 at 15:43 PST.

Welcome to the Forum Dashadeaux!

There seem to be as many billing plans as there are utilities (in my case, there are about 4 different GT plans). For my utility, in Northern California, we get credited the retail rate for power based on Time of Use and how much we use/generate (tiers) every month.

We get retail credit, but at the end of one year, if there is a positive balance, the account is zeroed out--And just last few months, they now pay us a few cents per kWH for every "extra" kWH we generate over our usage.

For commercial customers, the details are a lot more complex.

-Bill
    20x BP 4175B panels (replacement) + Xantrex GT 3.3 inverter for 3kW Grid Tied system + Honda eu2000i Inverter/Generator for emergency backup.

Thank you BB,

I'm not new to solar but there are questions that arise from time to time, and this forum in my opinion, answers them well. I understand many are buying their solar, but my experience is limited to leasing solar... so please read with that in mind.

I've only dealt with one utility, and from that experience I am ready to accept that every utility functions differently. I've read some of Solar_dave's responses and find that he as well was a bit confused about how the local AHJ was handling excess solar. I don't know if he's gotten a resolution as yet, but my experience was similar and the AHJ has answered the question.

I'm leasing my solar equipment and the leasing co has installed a reasonably good monitor that allows me to extract daily production at 5 minute intervals. Using this daily output I have built an XL spread sheet that provides to the penny what my solar savings are.

To my mind, anyone owning and staying in the home for 3+ years should install solar. Our AHJ is just starting a recovery process that will help restore lost revenue due to residential and commercial solar installations, and I believe the recovery process is just beginning.

Those living in the Phoenix area will see a new line item on their power bill soon, perhaps as early as Mar 01, 2013. The line item (Lost Fixed Cost Recovery, or LFCR) will affect every homeowner and is expected to be 1% of the amount the power company bills (taxes and assessment not included).

While going thru the solar installation process, the power company gives the homeowner the choice of selecting how to reconcile excess solar, the choice being EPR-2 or EPR-6 (this may be universal... don't know). I suppose there are times when EPR-2 is the best option, but as far as my experience goes EPR-6 wins by a landslide.
    Last edited by Dashadeaux; February 1st, 2013 at 21:45 PST.