Used Absolyte Batteries

Greetings Folks,

I work for a metal trading company and we've started to get quite a few absolyte batteries in. I know these things have a life span up to 20 years and noticed a lot of them have manufacture dates with the mid-2000s on them.

Is there an aftermarket use for these?

If I'm testing them, what do I need to look for?

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Used Absolyte Batteries
    interco wrote: »
    Greetings Folks,

I work for a metal trading company and we've started to get quite a few absolyte batteries in. I know these things have a life span up to 20 years and noticed a lot of them have manufacture dates with the mid-2000s on them.

Well, there is more than you possibly want to know here.

More seriously, testing will require charging them and then doing a controlled load test to at least 50% discharge to see what you get. Since you cannot measure the electrolyte SG, there is no instant test.

Used as recommended, they may have some useful life in them, but they may be designed for UPS or other use which will not make them the best for solar PV use.
    And if they have been abused, they are worth only scrap value.

Unfortunately, testing them will take some investment of time and equipment.

But you can make a good start by just measuring the voltage. If it is below 11.6 volts, they are probably not worth more effort because either they are damaged or they have been left off charge long enough that they may well be damaged. Above that voltage, they may be worth charging and testing.

Other opinions?
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

I have removed the other thread (by accident:cry:)--But one thread is enough for your questions--Everything regarding your discussion topic in one place.

Regarding used batteries--I frequently start by suggesting a "buyer" look at paying scrap pricing (check their local scrappers to see how much the pay/charge).

Next, if the battery has a good history, it may be worth more than scrap.

And if the battery has sat for more than 1 month (flooded cell) or 3 months (AGM) without float charging, then it is probably starting to sulfate--And without load/discharge testing, it is unknown how much they have been degraded by sitting.

I would check with local forklift battery warehouses... Frequently, they have a pretty good business refurbishing/testing used batteries for sale. Perhaps they can give you some guidance too.

We have a few people here that buy used (and abused) forklift batteries--Charge/cycle them, looking for bad cells--Frequently, they can remove a couple failed cells from (for example) a 36 volt battery bank and change it into a very serviceable 12 or 24 volt bank.

-Bill

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • inetdog
    BB. wrote: »
    I have removed the other thread (by accident:cry:)----Everything regarding your discussion topic in one place.

-Bill

I will, therefore, add back in my comment from the other thread: Absolyte batteries are, AFAIK, all AGM. So SG testing will not be an option, but at least they can survive self-discharge for longer periods without damage. That will not help if they were removed from service at less than full charge.
  • BB.

And I asked if you could get a drop of electrolyte from AGM and measure the SG with a refractometer...

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • inetdog
    And I asked if you could get a drop of electrolyte from AGM and measure the SG with a refractometer...

-Bill

And it looks like the discussion on that is continuing in this thread (not a duplicate, started by a different OP, I believe.)
  • BB.

Thinks do get a bit blurry at times. :confused:

Sorry,
    -Bill :blush:
  • Garycpennock
    Garycpennock Registered Users Posts: 2
    interco wrote: »
    Greetings Folks,

I am looking for a used Absolyte llP 3-100-33 1600 A/hr 2V cell or optionally a 6V battery. One of the 2V cells in the 24Volt (4each 6V Batteries) system overheats and needs to be replaced. Any help greatly appreciated? I am located in Southern Ca. 92064
    EMail Contact Info: pennockgaryc@yahoo.com
    Phone: (858) 486-3282
  • BERI
    BERI Registered Users Posts: 1
    We have a few people here that buy used (and abused) forklift batteries--Charge/cycle them, looking for bad cells--Frequently, they can remove a couple failed cells from (for example) a 36 volt battery bank and change it into a very serviceable 12 or 24 volt bank.

The company I work for can assist you in absolyte recycling...We actually pay for the absolyte too. Not just absolyte batteries but we buy many other batteries that need scraped. Give me a call if you would like. Joe @ 608-764-1104
  • BB.

Joe, I am guessing you are out of Deerfield Wisconsin area?

Do you only buy/recycle batteries (and other electronics/etc.), or do you sell used serviceable batteries too?

-Billl
  • H2SO4_guy
    H2SO4_guy Solar Expert Posts: 213 ✭✭✭

Just a Heads-Up.... Most scrap dealers will pay considerably less or possibly not take at all the Absolyte series of battery. I think it has some extra-nasty stuff in there that is becoming taboo with the EPA or something. So I would bid way less than the current scrap value.

I use Panasonic AGM batteries that I got used and they rock!

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Skip
    12K asst panels charging through Midnite Classic 150's, powering Exeltechs and Outback VFX-3648 inverter at 12 and 48 volts.  2080 AH @ 48 VDC of Panasonic Stationary batteries (2 strings of 1040 AH each) purchased for slightly over scrap, installed August 2013.  Outback PSX-240X for 220 volt duties.  No genny usage since 2014. 
  • BB.

I think it was cadmium.

¬ Bill
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

Yup, and the new "G" series has less if not no Cd in them...

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada