U.S. Will Place Tariffs on Chinese Solar Panels

U.S. Will Place Tariffs on Chinese Solar Panels
http://trade.gov/press/press-releases/2012/final-determinations-in-the-antidumping-duty-and-countervailing-duty-investigations-of-imports-of-solar-cells-from-china-101012.asp

Today, the Department of Commerce (Commerce) announced its affirmative final determinations in the antidumping duty and countervailing duty investigations of imports of solar cells from China. Solar cells are produced from ultra-refined polysilicon and are the building blocks of solar photovoltaic power-generation systems, which convert the energy of sunlight directly into electricity.
Commerce determined that Chinese producers/exporters have sold solar cells in the United States at dumping margins ranging from 18.32 to 249.96 percent. Commerce also determined that Chinese producers/exporters have received countervailable subsidies of 14.78 to 15.97 percent.

Comments

• rollandelliott
    rollandelliott Solar Expert Posts: 834 ✭✭
    Re: U.S. Will Place Tariffs on Chinese Solar Panels

what do those numbers mean in english please? what is a 100 percent dumping margin?
    Does that mean that it costs them $1/watt to make, but they are selling it at 50 cents a watt?
    countervailable subsidies?!?!?
  • tmarch
    tmarch Solar Expert Posts: 143 ✭✭
    Re: U.S. Will Place Tariffs on Chinese Solar Panels

And I can just see Solarworld sticking their tongue out and say nanner nanner nanner.
    While I believe in buying American as much as possible thia kind of stuff turns my stomach.
    The real losers will be the installers and anyone that works in the field.