Sourcing batteries - local options, Batteries Plus okay?

bebey
bebey Solar Expert Posts: 27 ✭✭
I'm trying to find the most reasonable price on local batteries for a small solar project. I'm looking at getting either T105s or L16 variants, depending on what our calculations drive us towards when we are done.

Is Batteries Plus a reasonable source for batteries from a cost perspective? They have their own Rayovac brand of both those batteries but the amp hours is less so I would likely go with Trojans or other industry standard.

I seem to recall someone saying somewhere that there was a cheaper way than Battery Plus but I can't find that comment now.

Any advice? And thank you!

Comments

• Brock
    Brock Solar Expert Posts: 639 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Sourcing batteries - local options, Batteries Plus okay?

The cheapest place locally I could find was an industrial supply place. They mostly do forklift and other big industrial stuff, but they were willing to sell me batteries at about 20% less than Batteries Plus, they also delivered them in a big truck for free. If your only looking for a few batteries or don't want to go that route Sam's carries golf cart batteries, not sure what else. Around the upper mid west places like Fleet Farm have bigger 4D and 8D batteries, but not the L16 size.
    3kw solar PV, 4 LiFePO4 100a, xw 6048, Honda eu2000i, iota DLS-54-13, Tesla 3, Leaf, Volt, 4 ton horizontal geothermal, grid tied - Green Bay, WI
  • 2manytoyz
    2manytoyz Solar Expert Posts: 373 ✭✭✭

I've been buying 6V Golf Cart batteries (T105 clones) from Sam's Club.

Pics and prices posted in a previous thread: http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?15349-Two-6-V-vs-Two-12-V-Batteries&p=114736#post114736

FWIW, the oldest GC batteries I own are a few months away from being 6 years old. A recent check of their specific gravity with a hydrometer showed them still at 90%.
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    2manytoyz wrote: »
    I've been buying 6V Golf Cart batteries (T105 clones) from Sam's Club.

FWIW, the oldest GC batteries I own are a few months away from being 6 years old. A recent check of their specific gravity with a hydrometer showed them still at 90%.

A man who takes good care of his toys!
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    inetdog wrote: »
    A man who takes good care of his toys!

indeed and he even has buggies. do you own a warehouse for all of your toys?:p
  • 2manytoyz

Ah, you mean my 48V mobile battery bank!

dscn8158.jpg

Four T-1260 batteries in series. Cart is a 2009, just recently got it. Probably do a clean and shine of the batteries this weekend, and check the SG. Also going to replace all the cables with 2 ga.

dscn8159.jpg

Hey, the toyz fit in the garage just fine!

dscn8173.jpg

But my truck lives in the driveway... too long anyway.

Be kind to your batteries, they are expensive!
  • Eric L
    Eric L Solar Expert Posts: 262 ✭✭

I called and visited different distributors when I was ready to buy (all within driving distance to save on shipping). I took the best quotes I had to each one and asked if they could beat it. The best price on my L16s in the end came from these guys, and it was a lot cheaper than anything I see for sale on the web:

http://www.batterysalesandservice.com/
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

robert,
    yup, that's what i meant.:D

my other half would love to have something like that, but it would need to be licensed for the road. it would be easy for her to go to work less than 1/4 mile away in that, but not in the winter.:grr it matters not as it would get stolen around this neighborhood anyway and as far as i'm concerned she needs to walk more. i'm dreaming if i think i can get her to walk that short distance.:roll:
  • 2manytoyz

The theft issue is why it lives in the garage, rather than being parked behind my shed on the back corner of our property. Crime isn't an issue here (end of a culdesac) that I've ever heard of (only here a year) but these are way too easy to steal. Turns out, EZGO only has ONE key for all their carts! That another mod soon to be fixed.

If you do get a wild hair, be sure to see what it takes to make one street legal in PA. In FL, you end up having to convert it to a Low Speed Vehicle (LSV), fill out paperwork to get a VIN assigned, it has to be weighed, then go through a formal inspection at the DMV. Here, must have a DOT approved glass windshield, DOT tires, must go 20-25 MPH (golf carts legally must go under 20 MPH), have seatbelts, working turn signals, lights, blah blah. Gets to be EXPENSIVE to make it an LSV! Then must stay on roads where the posted limit is 35 MPH or less. In some golf cart communities, they do allow unmodified golf carts on the roads, but not at my area.

How 'bout one of those electric assist type bicycles? That should work fine a good part of the year.

I lived in Charlevoix (Northern MI) for a few years as a teenager. I rode my bike all year. The hard packed snow still gave enough traction to ride on "most" of the time.
  • inetdog
    2manytoyz wrote: »
    I lived in Charlevoix (Northern MI) for a few years as a teenager. I rode my bike all year. The hard packed snow still gave enough traction to ride on "most" of the time.

I rode a bicycle all winter during four years of college in Minnesota (just south of Minneapolis) and it is hard to beat the thrill of riding down ice-rutted roads when the slush has frozen overnight. It still beat walking, and the natural stability of a bicycle is amazing. Never got good at riding on the outdoor hockey rink though.
  • Dill
    Dill Solar Expert Posts: 170 ✭✭
    I rode a bicycle all winter during four years of college in Minnesota (just south of Minneapolis) and it is hard to beat the thrill of riding down ice-rutted roads when the slush has frozen overnight. It still beat walking, and the natural stability of a bicycle is amazing. Never got good at riding on the outdoor hockey rink though.

so you're one of those guys I shake my head at, and question their sanity? :D
  • inetdog
    Dill wrote: »
    so you're one of those guys I shake my head at, and question their sanity? :D

Absolutely! I admit that I am crazy, how about you? :-)
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think he's crazy, sounds like fun, here's me 7 miles down, 7000 miles to go...
    Attachment not found.
    ...but I'm much better now...
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Dill
    Dill Solar Expert Posts: 170 ✭✭
    Absolutely! I admit that I am crazy, how about you? :-)

people say that is default by living here.