U.S. Solar Industry Anticipates Utility Backlash Over Metering

RSSfeed
RSSfeed Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭
body-u-s-solar-industry-anticipates-utility-backlash-over-metering.jpg The growing use of rooftop solar systems are spurring concern that U.S. utilities may decline to purchase power generated by the panels, according to the Solar Energy Industries Association.

More...

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: U.S. Solar Industry Anticipates Utility Backlash Over Metering

This is logical and fair to the utilities. They can not manage the generation of solar power the way they can conventional power plants, so the more power that comes from 'unmanageable sources' the bigger their headaches. All well and good for governments to mandate the purchase of solar generated electricity, but it does not solve the basic 'no storage' problem. It's why some have considered household kW allocations and limits (which could be controlled by smart meters).
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can see it as a predictable future problem, but when it makes up less than 1% I can't imagine it creates any problem at all, the grid must be flexable enough to deal with the ramping up of machinery, a much greater problem than the, current limit in many/most states of a 10 KW array. Heck my Hot water heater turning on would be greater difference than a cloud passing over a 10KW array and that would be nothing compared to a big newsprint press starting up.

Of course multiple arrays in the same area may act together.

I do believe there is a 10KW limit, both to the buying requirments and the licensing, for most states.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • raydias
    raydias Solar Expert Posts: 68 ✭✭✭✭

This is why sizing an array to offset your consumption to zero is probably the best way to avoid this issue. The FIT's and REC's people are looking for revenue generation and that demographic would be the biggest problem for utilities to manage IMHO.