Inverters with outlets converted to HARDWIRE option..

ywhic
ywhic Solar Expert Posts: 621 ✭✭
I know a few companies (Samlex) offer the terminal strips to hardwire there inverters to 110-120 AC panels and outlets.. does anyone know where to get them direct?? Samlex says you must special order from your local dealer when ordering the inverter (AKA.. not sold separately)??

Apparantly they fit in a standard outlet sized 'hole'... and just wire right in..

Hardwire.jpg

Anyone have a lead or an idea on how to simulate that?? I had found some 'barrier terminal strips' but someone must make the regular outlet thing like above..

Its for a cabin so I could just wire a 10/3 plug and then run that to my 'load center' that feeds the cabin, but I prefer something proper.. ideas accepted (with sample pics) on how to do this as I am sure I am not the only person to have EVER done this..

Comments

• inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Inverters with outlets converted to HARDWIRE option..
    ywhic wrote: »
    I know a few companies (Samlex) offer the terminal strips to hardwire there inverters to 110-120 AC panels and outlets.. does anyone know where to get them direct?? Samlex says you must special order from your local dealer when ordering the inverter (AKA.. not sold separately)??

Apparantly they fit in a standard outlet sized 'hole'... and just wire right in..

Hardwire.jpg

Anyone have a lead or an idea on how to simulate that?? I had found some 'barrier terminal strips' but someone must make the regular outlet thing like above..

Its for a cabin so I could just wire a 10/3 plug and then run that to my 'load center' that feeds the cabin, but I prefer something proper.. ideas accepted (with sample pics) on how to do this as I am sure I am not the only person to have EVER done this..

Since you are not in a grid-tie or even backup power situation, the power from your inverter should be similar to power from a generator. Attaching a socket (not a plug!) to your inverter would then allow you to run a suitable fixed or portable cord with a plug on the end to your load center.
    Whatever option you choose, the output of the inverter must go directly to its own breaker in the load center (in this case it could be the main breaker) without any direct connection to any loads. (That is, if you use the terminal strip in an outlet box method, there should not be any other outlets on that circuit.)
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Al, get creative!
    Take the outlet out and see about adapting a standard junction box in its place. Bring your AC feed lines in through a knock-out (with restrainer) and wire nut them to the inverter wires like you would any junction.

The Samlex has its output circuit protection built-in (in order for the outlet to be safe) does it not? No need to buy their specially-adapted duplex replacement terminal strip just to make a safe, secure wiring connection.

I had (still have somewhere) an inverter with outlet on it that also had a standard wiring knock-out which allowed access to the connections for hard-wiring.
  • ywhic
    inetdog wrote: »
    Since you are not in a grid-tie or even backup power situation, the power from your inverter should be similar to power from a generator. Attaching a socket (not a plug!) to your inverter would then allow you to run a suitable fixed or portable cord with a plug on the end to your load center.
    Whatever option you choose, the output of the inverter must go directly to its own breaker in the load center (in this case it could be the main breaker) without any direct connection to any loads. (That is, if you use the terminal strip in an outlet box method, there should not be any other outlets on that circuit.)

The inverter I may get has GFCI outlets.. I was hoping to locate the DROP-IN like the one in the picture that fits the hole (and get rid of the possible GFCI issue before it starts).. another forum said I can't technically use an inverter for a cabin that has plugs and must go with a hard-wire 'TYPE' inverter..

That was my thought, just a wire with plug from the LOAD CENTER that simply plugs into the outlet on the inverter..

Could I bring it into the LOAD CENTER like a mains wire from the top and just feed the HOT backbone (and neutral & ground busbars), or do I have to run it into say a 30 amp breaker on actual the LOAD CENTER strip next to the OUTBOUND breakers??
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    ywhic wrote: »
    The inverter I may get has GFCI outlets.. I was hoping to locate the DROP-IN like the one in the picture that fits the hole (and get rid of the possible GFCI issue before it starts).. another forum said I can't technically use an inverter for a cabin that has plugs and must go with a hard-wire 'TYPE' inverter..

Load of dingo's kidneys. I have the only hard-wired system in any cabin on this lake, and my gen input is a plug.
    That was my thought, just a wire with plug from the LOAD CENTER that simply plugs into the outlet on the inverter..

Could I bring it into the LOAD CENTER like a mains wire from the top and just feed the HOT backbone (and neutral & ground busbars), or do I have to run it into say a 30 amp breaker on actual the LOAD CENTER strip next to the OUTBOUND breakers??

External breakers on inverters in this sort of application are largely useless. My 3.5kW Outback will fault before any of the 15 Amp breakers trip.

The built-in GFI outlet on an inverter can be replaced with a non-GFI type. The outlet can then plug in to a load center or indeed feed household wiring (with or without additional fuses/breakers) so long as the inverter's output has proper circuit protection and the wiring is not undersized. We are not talking about a massive 48kW electric service here, but rather one that's the equivalent of a single 15 Amp outlet.
  • ywhic
    The built-in GFI outlet on an inverter can be replaced with a non-GFI type. The outlet can then plug in to a load center or indeed feed household wiring (with or without additional fuses/breakers) so long as the inverter's output has proper circuit protection and the wiring is not undersized. We are not talking about a massive 48kW electric service here, but rather one that's the equivalent of a single 15 Amp outlet.

Correct.. single 2000 watt inverter with GFCI, which I will probably replace with non-GFCI and then do the wire drop plan..

I may try to mock-up a hardwire panel (like I see on on some inverters) using a terminal barrier strip with cover.. or do like you said and try a patch panel with knock-outs and hardwaire..

I will put breakers in the load center for the outlets and such.. in case I do end up running a 'genny' (if the batteries or low or I need more JUICE to the circuits) I will have some breaker protection as well.

I was just hoping someone would know someone in the electrical 'business' and maybe point to a MFG for the drop-in..

I like the fact the drop-in fits right in the standard size hosuing and the screws seem to be in the right place also..
  • blakviper
    blakviper Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi, did you find a solution? I'm trying to do the same, connect a modified sine wave inveter to a 20A breaker box. Any suggestions? can ne1 provide me with a diagram? I have this box

http://goo.gl/4UnxaZ

Thanks...
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure what your asking, but I haven't seen a post from Al in 18 months or so...

Likely best to start your own thread...

With a modified sine wave inverter you likely need to worry about a bonded neutral and ground.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.