Grounding a small system?

Hi Guys,
I'm biulding a small system for camping, and one day, hopefully,
some of the panels and other components can be used for a larger and more
permanent install in a shed or cabin.

I'm wondering when exactly is Earth grounding required in the transition from a
small setup for camping to a very large system, and why?

Is grounding required once you reach a certain wattage, or certain type of array structure?
Cheers, Art.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Grounding a small system?

Art,

Earth grounding is primarily a safety issue for lightning (and utility line surges). Unless you have a "large/distributed system" (such as a scientific monitoring system) and can guarantee a solid ground (4' ground rod driven in the ground)--I would not worry about earth grounding a camping system (or even an larger RV system)...

It is no different than not grounding your car and using the cigarette lighter plug to power a laptop computer on the picnic table or using a small inverter for the TV.

Just put the panels/cables away before storms, or just don't approach the system (or any metal objects/trees/etc.) if there is lightning in the area.

When you build a big, fixed system (or happen to be building a stage for a rock concert), just follow normal building codes.

-Bill

Another issue with earth grounding (since you are asking), is it is possible to build static charges on tall metal structures if they are not grounded... The earth's natural electric field is very roughly ~120 volts/meter in clear air. So, it is possible to charge any tall, ungrounded, metallic structure (towers, antennas, wiring). Obviously, there is not much current available from free-air charges--but there is a potential for capacitive shock.

In the end, small in physical size, portable electrical systems--don't bother grounding.

Larger and fixed systems (and those that require permits like fairs, etc. that distribute power to multiple booths and locations) should have a proper earth grounding rod/system.
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Art
    Art Solar Expert Posts: 32
    Re: Grounding a small system?

Ah, thanks BB, that clears things up for me.