Broken glass - Solar Car Battery Charger

FPGA 89
FPGA 89 Registered Users Posts: 2
Respected Wind Sun forum,

My friend informed me that my solar charger arrived damaged, as seen from this picture he sent me today: http://i.imgur.com/gwvX4.jpg

It seems, someone at our custom was rather indolent - for lack of more harsh word - in returning the panel in original case and once checked, panel was placed in bare nylon; considering the amount of packages while traveling to final destination via local courier, no wonder is the state the panel was brought. There was more then one item in that package, but this was the most fragile by nature of transport. Anyway, I will order another one, but just for sake of curiosity and environment; could you kindly supply some wis to my curiosity.

Since the very application of this charger is strictly indoors, well, car interior to be exact. Just supposing, if those cells are intact and experienced no damage; simply for practical and cosmetic reasons, should I add another glass on top of this?

I wont mind having another charger like this, and since another one is on its way, I feel really bad about this one having no use.

Since I can’t at the moment examine this panel more closely; does this (even in reduced power state) panel have any charging capability considering its state?

I appreciate your inputs.

Comments

• icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Broken glass - Solar Car Battery Charger

It is junk! Even if the cells are intact, the effect of the broken glass is to make the panel essentially worthless. It may put out voltage, but not current.

Tony
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Also, see if you can find these panels used... They are usually supplied by auto manufacturers when shipping/storing cars.

Here is a search on Ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=m570.l3201&_nkw=solar+panel+car+charger&_sacat=0
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=m570.l3201&_nkw=vw+solar+charger&_sacat=0 (vw solar charger on www.ebay.com if link does not work)

60 Pounds is way too expensive for this type of unit.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

Its possible the glass is broken but not the PV underneath it. Wouldn't hurt to run tests on it to see if it will output current.
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Note that most solar cells do not like moisture over the long term--And thin film/amorphous cells do not like moisture or oxygen at all (that appears to be a thin film/amorphous panel).

The glass is also (usually) the mechanical support for the cells... So you are talking about perhaps a few months of use before the performance drops (my guess).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • FPGA 89
    FPGA 89 Registered Users Posts: 2
    icarus wrote: »
    It is junk! Even if the cells are intact, the effect of the broken glass is to make the panel essentially worthless. It may put out voltage, but not current. Tony

I understand this, but would equivalent size glass - provided cells are intact - continue serving the role of the broken one?
    When you say "the effect of the broken glass" are you alluding to possible impact breaking introduced to cells? Are those really so fragile?
    Mind you, this is just question, not constatation. I'm here to ask, and much obliged for your kind response.
    BB. wrote: »
    Also, see if you can find these panels used... They are usually supplied by auto manufacturers when shipping/storing cars. Here is a search on Ebay. 60 Pounds is way too expensive for this type of unit.

Thanks BB, indeed you are right. However, although this model would hardly assume the need for a charge regulator, I like that touch of "Overengineering" compared to majority of similar size models with protecting diode. In this price range, I usually like to purchase things brand new. This product has build excellent reputation with reliability and quality, because it was originally targeted as product for car salons and several big auto names. I was using their previous products and never had return anything. In fact, some are working even far from their designated lifetime.

Ebay’s car/solar category… sellers sometime leave plenty of doubt in their understanding what they are actually selling. Examine description from the link you kindly provided :
    BB. wrote: »

He actually treats OBD as a "Cigarette Plug" which alone is not reason to skip, but, this leaves some doubt in his skills and methodology capable to say for sure whether something is brand new or 100% functional.
    techntrek wrote: »
    Its possible the glass is broken but not the PV underneath it. Wouldn't hurt to run tests on it to see if it will output current.

I will look into this over the weekend.
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    FPGA 89 wrote: »
    When you say "the effect of the broken glass" you are you alluding to possible impact breaking introduced to cells? Are those really so fragile?
    With a thin film module, yeah, pretty much.