Compare Nickel-Iron Edison Batteries and Chinese Ni-Fe Cells

13»

Comments

• softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't find much comfort in that battery cable...their customer is trying to show off?
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With our Nickel Iron batteries, you can discharge up to 80% of the total capacity without any damage the cell or its future capacity.  With a lead acid battery, it's recommended to use only 20-30% of the total battery capacity to get 5 years of life.

You can USE 80% of the capacity (according to them)  But the voltage range from Full to Empty, is so large, that many inverters will start to shut off from under-voltage before you get to -80%

Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
    mike95490 said:
    With our Nickel Iron batteries, you can discharge up to 80% of the total capacity without any damage the cell or its future capacity.  With a lead acid battery, it's recommended to use only 20-30% of the total battery capacity to get 5 years of life.

You can USE 80% of the capacity (according to them)  But the voltage range from Full to Empty, is so large, that many inverters will start to shut off from under-voltage before you get to -80%

Makes sense....their web site did not install confidence that they are battery experts. More like salespeople really.

What do you think of the chart showing the very strong correlation between water consumption and temperature?

Would you do NiFe again? I like almost everything but the price...

Is it possible to find much better prices anywhere?
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • TGC
    TGC Registered Users Posts: 17 ✭✭
    Hi Mike,
    Just bought 40x500Ah from CiYi (very good experience buying direct) - still fingers crossed I made the right choice including capacity, ...maybe I should have gone for 800, but the good thing about NiFe is that I SHOULD be able to add more in parallel if needed.
    In any case my questions are:
    Do you have an update on capacity drop since you bought them ? (that would be 6y ago, right?)
    When you say they are water hungry - how much exactly say per cell per month? and have you found any tricks to reduce that?
    Thanks
  • TGC
    sorry @mike95490... previous post for fya.
  • mike95490
    Lower charge voltages = less water use, but less capacity.  I go through about 5 gallons in 2 weeks.. (I batch refill about 1/3 of my cells at a time, then 2 weeks later, another 1/3 of them - it's a lot of work, dribbling 1/2 gallon into each cell)
    No noticeable drop, they actually seem to be holding up overnight even better than when new, or I'm getting more dialed in on the charging of them.
    Adding more in parallel would be painful - come time to water all of them !!
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

• TGC
    thanks for that - very true re watering large numbers if I put more in parallel...! Maybe I should have gone 800Ah. Oh well.
    20 litres every two weeks !!! Gah. Not looking fwd to that. Need to think about an industrial distilled water production. I don;t think rainwater would do.... too much organic residues from the tanks.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Filter the rainwater, maintain the tanks! Have it tested. I have had two sets of batteries in over 20 years offgrid.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• TGC
    Thanks Dave, very interesting. Do you mean that you use the tank water (properly maintained) in the batteries directly? Correct? Lead acid?
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    No Sir!  I use a Britta filter from Costco before the lead acid battery. 
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• TGC
    Guys, esp @mike95490, I need advice. Newly installed 500ah 48V NiFe, and, I'm trying to cycle them as you should for new ones, but even after 4/5 cycles they are still not at full capacity
    a) if I put a 2kw load, the voltage drops to 36V after about 3.5hrs. After that I still can use a 1Kw load for another 4hrs or so, but I can't draw more than at any point 2KW without heavy voltage drop. The missus not going to be happy if the 2.4Kw hot water doesn't work....
    b) when it gets to low voltage, as soon as I take the load off then voltage bounces back to 46V. You can imagine the inverter cycling every 20sec low battery cutout > battteries recover instantly > inverter starts again > voltage drops instantly > low battery cutout ...
    c) it looks like they have plateaued at 1Kwh out of 24kNwh, but I can't cycle them more?
    d) What charging setting are you using Mike? At the moment I'm at 62V absorption which gets me about 50/60A into them, and the charge current drops to float in about 4hrs, so I get 12Kwh out of them, which is consistent with the discharge, but not enough!
    e) Shoould I try a slower charge? I can current limit (Schneider 8548), but if I put the absorb voltage at say 60 or lower, it might take longer?
    f) Interested to know what charge setting you use @mike95490

Thanks !!!

(PS, measured voltage on each cell, they all behave the same, so there isn't a dud one... as I hoped)

• TGC
    Sorry, meant " I can't current lmit..."
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017 #74
    TGC said:
    Sorry, meant " I can't current lmit..."

You can go to that post and edit it. Click on the gear at the top right corner of the comment  window.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know much about these batteries, but I don't think they handle high charge/discharge rates well. C/10 might be pushing it for these.

Assuming you are off grid, I would suggest getting a gas water heater to keep the missus happy, and maybe use the electric one as an opportunity load to preheat water ahead of the gas unit. As an opportunity load, the water heater would use solar generation that would otherwise be lost after battery charging.

Heating stuff off grid with pv except as an opportunity load generally isn't viable irrespective of battery type.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • TGC
    Thanks for the tip @littleharbor2!
  • Lumisol
    Lumisol Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭✭
    Just a quick question. Are the batteries being compared comparable in price? ie. in the same price range?
  • mike95490
    I run 1.6V per cell for absorb, and generally absorb for 2 hours.
    My overnight load is about 4kwh
    here's a chart of my low and high voltages (cloudy day, tricked the controllers into 3 absorb cycles) 67.5 - 53.5V just before dawn
    Remember, NiFe is very high internal resistance, so you need about 2x the ah that a lead acid would be designed for, ( a 400ah lead acid bank can be replaced with a 800ah NiFe bank)