solar panels for $0.64 a watt, can they get any cheaper?

post dated June 8th. I'm going to try and get a couple of palettes. If anyone is interested send me a PM. It's not clear from the post if you have to buy a whole container load or not. I'm near Columbia, SC.

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: solar panels for $0.64 a watt, can they get any cheaper?

we do not condone this type of group buying via the forum as too many problems can arise.
  • john p
    john p Solar Expert Posts: 814 ✭✭✭

As Niel says so many problems can occur for group buying.
    Like you get the panels all sent to your address then what? you have to arrange for some transport from your place to their place. If they arrive damaged at final destination then what?
    If some panels fail in 5 yrs time then the other buyers send them back to you then you arrange replacements and transport? What if the place you buy them from is out of business then the buyers that went in it with you get you to do what??
    Its unlikely the seller will want to be sending out small amounts of panels to all the buyers that go into buying them with you..
  • meridiansolar
    meridiansolar Solar Expert Posts: 34

Never mind looks like they updated their blog and will be selling them direct for 78 cents a watt by the palette in a month. It wouldn't be worth the effort to organize a group buy anyways.
  • rollandelliott
    rollandelliott Solar Expert Posts: 834 ✭✭

I just got an email today from a reputable solar panel seller for 77 cents a watt (only if you buy rack OR inverter system too)
    I guess the prices for solar panels still have room to go lower!
  • rtcy2998
    rtcy2998 Registered Users Posts: 7
    Never mind looks like they updated their blog and will be selling them direct for 78 cents a watt by the palette in a month. It wouldn't be worth the effort to organize a group buy anyways.

so is it allowed to ask for a link to whom ever it was that was selling it. would like to compare what they sell versus the cells on ebay for home made panels

I can receive emails rtcy2008 -at- gmail.com

this is my first post here, after reading through the faq's and what not. my head is whirling LOL. this used to be easy and fun. bu I'm willing to read and learn, I have the skills and patience to make the panels myself IF the savings are there.

I have a brand new Vanner vlt 12-1500 and deciding if it's worth using or if it can ONLY be used as a stand alone not grid tied set up. anyways lots of reading ahead on this and on micro-inverters and the bigger ones that are fed by DC to a central inverter (grid-tied)
  • rollandelliott
    rollandelliott Solar Expert Posts: 834 ✭✭

deffinetely NOT worth it to make your own. nor cost effective.
    there are several panels around $1 a watt, sorry do not know of any in the 60 or 70 cents range. German Qcells has gone out of busines and you can get pallett full of their product for around 92 cents a watt. the cheapest i know of.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll send you a couple links, to site that specialize in close outs and buy outs of businesses and solar manufacturers who have gone out of business, but be aware that some come without UL listing and may effect you connecting to the grid, and/or not being able to meet Code hence not qualifying for the tax credit.

Others may be from manufacturers who have gone out of business, and the warranty will be no better than the seller.

Also some of the 'cheap' panels are thin film panels with very high voltage requiring lots of connecting cables, in general the cheaper panels will be grid connect type requiring MPPT type charge controllers.

Expect No help or service from these sellers, if your new I would suggest sticking with a quality merchant like our sponsor, Northern Arizona Wind and Sun. (NAWS). I've been off grid for 10 years and just purchased $950 worth of charge controllers from them. A great value and their long business with the manufacturer allowed them to have a supply line, when no one else did!

Basically a long post to say buyer beware.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    rtcy2998 wrote: »
    so is it allowed to ask for a link to whom ever it was that was selling it. would like to compare what they sell versus the cells on ebay for home made panels

I can receive emails rtcy2008 -at- gmail.com

this is my first post here, after reading through the faq's and what not. my head is whirling LOL. this used to be easy and fun. bu I'm willing to read and learn, I have the skills and patience to make the panels myself IF the savings are there.

I have a brand new Vanner vlt 12-1500 and deciding if it's worth using or if it can ONLY be used as a stand alone not grid tied set up. anyways lots of reading ahead on this and on micro-inverters and the bigger ones that are fed by DC to a central inverter (grid-tied)

Welcome to the forum.

Your Vanner VLT is not a grid-tie inverter and cannot be connected in that way.

I broke up your e-mail link to avoid its being "harvested" by the spam bots that habitually troll web sites looking for such information.

Lots of reading before you buy is good. ;)