Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Off-grid wiring schematic - How does this look?

Question Off-grid wiring schematic - How does this look?

Hello, I have learned a lot about wiring in the last few months but I still need some help with grounding my off-grid system, especially the grounding relating to the inverter and ac wiring. I included notes from the inverter's manual in the diagram. Please let me know the changes I need to make. Thanks everyone in advance...everyone's been really helpful so far.

One other question...Should I connect the battery's negative post to the ground rod with 6wag copper wire? The manufacturer seems to want me to do so...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	off-grid schematic.jpg 
Views:	1892 
Size:	164.5 KB 
ID:	3422
    Last edited by Kgelles; May 18th, 2012 at 7:22 PDT. Reason: double-posted attachment

Default Re: Off-grid wiring schematic - How does this look?

My eyesight is not the best, but I see nothing wrong with it at all. No ground loops, only one neutral-ground bond, circuit protection in the right places, very neatly drawn.

6 AWG should be sufficient for negative to ground wiring. Manufacturers usually know what they're talking about.
    1220 Watts of PV, OB MX60, 232 Amp hrs, OB 3524, Honda eu2000.

Ohm's Law: Amps = Volts / Ohms
    Power Formula: Watts = Volts * Amps

Quote Originally Posted by Kgelles View Post
    Hello, I have learned a lot about wiring in the last few months but I still need some help with grounding my off-grid system, especially the grounding relating to the inverter and ac wiring. I included notes from the inverter's manual in the diagram. Please let me know the changes I need to make. Thanks everyone in advance...everyone's been really helpful so far.

One other question...Should I connect the battery's negative post to the ground rod with 6wag copper wire? The manufacturer seems to want me to do so...

Name:	off-grid schematic.jpg 
Views:	1892 
Size:	164.5 KB 
ID:	3422
    nice drawing, one of the best ones I have seen for a home system.

do you want to add breakers to your combiner box? you may want to add more panels/strings later and if you put in a combiner box that can accomodate 4 to 6 breakers then it will be easy to do that...

one more thought, do you want to add in a bus bar off the battery bank and have the CC and loads tie in to that instead of at the battery bank?

Quote Originally Posted by Caneman View Post
    nice drawing, one of the best ones I have seen for a home system.

do you want to add breakers to your combiner box? you may want to add more panels/strings later and if you put in a combiner box that can accommodate 4 to 6 breakers then it will be easy to do that...

one more thought, do you want to add in a bus bar off the battery bank and have the CC and loads tie in to that instead of at the battery bank?
    Thanks for the reply. I'm glad the drawing was clear.

As far as adding combiner box fuses...I think that's a great idea. And besides, I may add two more panels in the future so....

I attached a new screen grab of the schematic with combiner box fuses and a busbar off of the battery positive. Should I add one to the grounded negative post wire as well?

Thanks again.

Name:	new wiring.jpg 
Views:	516 
Size:	173.3 KB 
ID:	3423

Should I add one to the grounded negative post wire as well?

Thanks again.

Name:	new wiring.jpg 
Views:	516 
Size:	173.3 KB 
ID:	3423
    that is what i have seen, and you can run your (-) ground off of that as well...

do you have a (+) battery disconnect switch?

Quote Originally Posted by Caneman View Post
    that is what i have seen, and you can run your (-) ground off of that as well...

do you have a (+) battery disconnect switch?
    Wonderful. This is a great forum Thanks Caneman.

I will add a negative busbar and ground off that. And I will add a disconnect switch near the battery positive terminal.

I am connecting a Magnum MS-PAE 4024 inverter to a 100a main panel which will distribute power to my cabin.

The instructions for the 100a main panel obviously (but unfortunately for me) did not include any useful information for off-grid setups.

Everything just said that the sub-panel shouldn't be neutral-ground bonded but the main panel should; rather, the first point of entry should be neutral-ground bonded. But in my setup I was confused, because the first point of entry would be the inverter, but I couldn't find anything about this in the instructions.

Now it seems like I should bond the inverter ground with the inverter neutral as indicated by this drawing. Yes? And do not bond neutral to ground in the main panel but instead connect a grounding bus bar inside the panel.

Wonderful. This is a great forum Thanks Caneman.

I will add a negative busbar and ground off that. And I will add a disconnect switch near the battery positive terminal.

welcome to the forum.
    you may be needlessly confusing yourself. normally your standard entrance cb box is the first thing as the utility power would just come straight into it. the buses for neutral and ground are usually prebonded straight to the metal box itself. you can open your box and see this for yourself. if, on a lark, it isn't and one is insulated from the box then you can just add a jumper to bond the 2 buses.

as you figured this is where most have the neutral/ground bond and this goes off to the ground rod as well. the magnum should not have the neutral ground bond being it is in the main panel.
    NIEL

Quote Originally Posted by niel View Post
    welcome to the forum.
    you may be needlessly confusing yourself. normally your standard entrance cb box is the first thing as the utility power would just come straight into it. the buses for neutral and ground are usually prebonded straight to the metal box itself. you can open your box and see this for yourself. if, on a lark, it isn't and one is insulated from the box then you can just add a jumper to bond the 2 buses.

as you figured this is where most have the neutral/ground bond and this goes off to the ground rod as well. the magnum should not have the neutral ground bond being it is in the main panel.
    OK. My main panel, a homeline 100a, came with a mysterious bonding screw but it isn't attached. I do not know where to put this screw. So, just to be clear, the magnum inverter will not bond neutral with ground, but the main panel will (once I figure where to put the screw).

I still do not understand this.

can you link to the panel in question or show us a pic?
    NIEL