What 12v Flooded Battery Settings for my new TS45 controller..

ywhic
ywhic Solar Expert Posts: 621 ✭✭
In the MorningStar TS-45 Charge Controller Manual (PWM) is has these settings for me to choose from.. I'll be running 2 Trojan T105 battery for a 12v system initally.. I know they are flooded but which setting should I go with..?? Number 4, 5, or 6??

The TriStar provides 7 standard battery charging algorithms
Set the 4-6 DIP switchs according to your preferred settings..

Type Absorb Float Equal
off-off-off 1 - Sealed 14.0 13.4 none
off-off-on 2 - Sealed 14.15 13.4 14.2
off-on-off 3 - Sealed 14.35 13.4 14.4
off-on-on 4 - Flooded 14.4 13.4 15.1
on-off-off 5- Flooded 14.6 13.4 15.3
on-off-on 6 - Flooded 14.8 13.4 15.3

on-on-off 7 - L-16 15.0 13.4 15.3

As always help is appreciated..

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: What 12v Flooded Battery Settings for my new TS45 controller..

Number six, because Trojan specs 14.8 for Absorb charge.
  • Jim45D
    Jim45D Solar Expert Posts: 102 ✭✭

I have roughly the same senario, with the exception my battery(s) are AGM's. According to Concorde's charging page they suggest a charge of 14.4 to 14.6. However, these two settings fall within the FLA's range. The last setting of 14.35 falls .5 below what they recommend, but #4 & #5 fall within specs, out of the sealed stages. What would any of you suggest? I'd like to get the fastest, highest charge possible during bulk and absorb. I'm not worried about the equalization stage. OR, should I go with switch #8 and perform a custom setting of perhaps 14.5 to 14.6 within sealed settings, if they even exist. OR, can I simply set #'s 4 or 5 appropriately? The float charge is the same regardless.
  • ywhic
    Number six, because Trojan specs 14.8 for Absorb charge.

Are most flooded Trojan T-105 equivalents going to be the same??

I'm having a hard time finding info on OTHER batteries that are 'equivalent'..
  • Cariboocoot
    Jim45D wrote: »
    I have roughly the same senario, with the exception my battery(s) are AGM's. According to Concorde's charging page they suggest a charge of 14.4 to 14.6. However, these two settings fall within the FLA's range. The last setting of 14.35 falls .5 below what they recommend, but #4 & #5 fall within specs, out of the sealed stages. What would any of you suggest? I'd like to get the fastest, highest charge possible during bulk and absorb. I'm not worried about the equalization stage. OR, should I go with switch #8 and perform a custom setting of perhaps 14.5 to 14.6 within sealed settings, if they even exist. OR, can I simply set #'s 4 or 5 appropriately? The float charge is the same regardless.

Were it me, I'd go with a custom setting for any AGM to be sure it meets manufacturer's specs as close as possible. AGM's do not forgive "mistakes" the way FLA's do and are particularly picky about Voltages. Pretty sure MS View software is available for free but you'll need to connect controller to computer of course.

For fastest Bulk charge it isn't a matter of Voltage setting so much as having sufficient panel to provide serious current. AGM's will take a lot more than FLA's in that respect.
  • Cariboocoot
    ywhic wrote: »
    Are most flooded Trojan T-105 equivalents going to be the same??

I'm having a hard time finding info on OTHER batteries that are 'equivalent'..

Not necessarily the same.
    On the up side, you can start high and reduce the Absorb Voltage setting if you find you're using too much water.
  • ywhic

Should I Auto equalize every 28 days using the settings or do it manually with the switch??

I'm going to assume I need to remove the CAPS (from flooded type) during the process correct...
  • Cariboocoot
    Should I Auto equalize every 28 days using the settings or do it manually with the switch??

I'm going to assume I need to remove the CAPS (from flooded type) during the process correct...

Do not auto equalize. Trojan specifically recommends against this. Their instructions (which I find work for any battery) are to check every cell's SG once a month and then equalize if there are any significant discrepancies (like more than 0.010 between any two cells). It's a bit of a pain, but I find running the EQ cycle for one hour, recheck the cells, and repeat if necessary until there's no improvement is best. Less strain (heating) on the batteries. This probably means you'll have to Bulk with the generator to start with, as there are only so many hours in a day and the batteries need to be fully charged in order for the SG readings to be accurate and the EQ cycle to work properly. Technically you should disconnect the loads as well, but ...

Removing the caps is a good idea as there will be a lot of gassing from the higher Voltage cycle, and you don't want it building up inside the cells.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

you can do it manually if you wish to keep close track of specific gravities and voltages of individual batteries. light usages could make the interval for eq longer than every month, but monthly won't hurt if you remember to keep a close watch on the electrolyte levels.

leave the caps on.
  • ywhic

If my combiner box with 6 10 amp breakers is right next to my controller (less than 1 ft.) do I still need to put a 60 amp breaker (as rated in controller manual) between it and the controller??

That would seem redundant IMHO..
  • Cariboocoot
    If my combiner box with 6 10 amp breakers is right next to my controller (less than 1 ft.) do I still need to put a 60 amp breaker (as rated in controller manual) between it and the controller??

That would seem redundant IMHO..

The individual breakers protect the panels in parallel connection. The big breaker is to protect the circuit between the array and the controller (combined current of all panels).

Technically you don't need any circuit protection at all; it isn't necessary to function. It's there in case something goes wrong.
  • niel

no, but a switch for disconnecting would be warranted. many use breakers as switches in addition to their protective qualities so one larger breaker would suffice for both capacities being a protective device and a switch. you can decide what way you wish to approach that, but all of the individual breakers do suffice for the protective needs.
  • ywhic

Would a 60 Amp ANL fuse be OK to utilize..?? it will cover up to 32vDC and be used in conjuntion with aformentioned breaker panel..

I am maxing the system for 12v and not 24v.. so I am thinking this would be fine..
  • niel

your need is more of a switch than a protective device and fuses are more difficult to pull than a switch. up to you.
  • ywhic

How about a 60 amp rated inline mini-breaker (same ratings)..??

inline60B.jpg
  • niel

that may work, but why not just use a switch made to take the on/off changes often?

http://www.solar-electric.com/blseabaswon3.html
  • ywhic

Think I'll stick with the ANL fuse setup.. simpler/cheaper ($10) and not as CHEEZY looking as the car audio breaker ($15)...

I don't mind shutting off 6 switches to kill the power to the fuse & controller.. & I don't plan on doing it that often..

I may buy/use that 350A ON/OFF switch on the battery wire coming back to the inverter.. as its made for that..

ETA: I decided to just buy the mini-60 Amp Inline Breaker (like above).. I can mount it inside the combiner box.. this will give me the option of hitting the button and cutting all power to the controller with 1 switch/breaker..

I'll take pics when its wired up..

I will be buying the 350AMP battery switch though for my battery-inverter positive wire (along with a 200 amp ANL fuse)..