Burnt Out Wind Energy 7 Charge Controllers

Kefalonianman
Kefalonianman Solar Expert Posts: 60 ✭✭✭✭
I have recently been away on vaction and on my return one of the above charge controllers has stopped working i took the cover off and the three input wires one was very black and all the circuit board aboth was burnt as well, dead i presume, but on checking the other one t was the same, the other thing noticed was one of the taik fins was flat therefore not catching the wind,

anyone got any ideas what would have caused this and is there likely to be damage in the turbine itself

and finally can anyone tell me if they have created 24v mptt wind charge controllers as yet.

many thankss

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Burnt Out Wind Energy 7 Charge Controllers

Regarding the failure--Very often a poor electrical connection (loose wire clamp/screw, corrosion, too small wire/connection for current being carried, etc.) can cause what you see. It overheats the connection and chars the wire and printed circuit board).

Your question about MPPT wind turbine controllers, I typed this last February for you:
    BB. wrote: »
    I don't think you would be very sucessful trying to use one MPPT controller to control two wind turbines. You need to match the curve to each turbine as they would probably not match/track each other's RPM's (each would need its own controller to match its present RPM/Torque, etc.).

Also, I believe that a true Wind MPPT controller keeps track of the RPM from the pulses of the rectified alternator output. Two unsync'ed alternators would confuse the tracking/maximum RPM programing control.

The only true MPPT wind controller that is shipping (that I am aware of) is the Midnite Classic system. Includes MPPT controller and dump loads/dump control. Not going to be cheap. But, from earlier reports, you can get 2-3 times more energy. A couple of the Midnite folks do post here--so they can probably help you with more information. Or you can try their forum too.

NAWS Midnite page (may have to call NAWS for wind controller version pricing/availability)
    www.midnitesolar.com home page
    Midnite Forum

Lastly if you want to do your own experimentation... What is the unloaded maximum voltage of your turbine?

If it is less than ~140-150 VDC, you could look into a MorningStar TS 45 MPPT controller. I wonder if your connect the controller to a wind turbine if it will track the output fast enough to accurately do MPPT control of the turbine(???).

Wayne from NS Canada uses a the 15 amp MPPT MorningStar Solar Charge Controller on his micro water turbine (around 150 watts 24x7) and has been very happy with the results. In his case, the turbine maximum voltage is less than the ~70 VDC input max of the controller, and his turbine will not over-speed to destruction if it is unloaded (probably has the MPPT charging voltage set much higher than his battery bank voltage--may have some sort of, perhaps manual, dump loads since the turbine is relatively small).

You would need to do more research if this is even possible/practical--I do not know the details and would have to do the same thing if I was interested (no wind/water power at my home).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Cari Baird
    Cari Baird Registered Users Posts: 1

dear Kefalonianman:
    I found this old thread while searching for info on windenergy7's product. I am wondering after a couple years, how do you like your roofmill system, or whatever you have? I read a lot of rooftop windmill complaints and bashing online, and can't find any good reviews. I think in general happy people don't think about blogging about their experience, just angry ones do .
    Thanks for any response.
    Cari in PA
  • Kefalonianman
    Kefalonianman Solar Expert Posts: 60 ✭✭✭✭

Carl

I have learnt the problem with turbines is that they only produce in good winds, I have enjoyed excellent results from the solar, but the two turbines I have are very hard to monitor output,I have burnt out both charge controllers and now I use charge controller from Missouri winds rated at 100 Amps but these too are showing signs of melting.
    The problem I have where my property is located the winds becomes tunneled down the valley and a southerly wind can be magnified on such a windy dat I can experience 80 - 90 Amos for short periods. The problems with turbines is they don't produce well low down or in a swift breeze. Great as a second source but would not use as main source unless it was a very large turbine

Hope this helps your questions
    One final thing is I think there's better turbines out there then the ones your looking out and I did have problem with after sales but maybe because I am in Europe.
  • captbob61
    captbob61 Registered Users Posts: 1

This WindEnergy7 is bad news, you purchase a system and once the guy get the money - you are lucky if you get what you pay for.
    Stay away from this guy..
    robert
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭

All other considerations aside, turbines sold for rooftop mounting are not going to get clean wind. (Turbulence kills output)
    And if they actually turn they will transmit really annoying, if not damaging, vibration into the building structure unless mounted in a way that is not justified by the output you get in return.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.