Can five panels be wired in series/parallel?

Options
Kgelles
Kgelles Solar Expert Posts: 25
I have space for five panels on my roof. I have a Tri-Star MPPT controller and I would like to wire two pairs in series/parallel (a total of four panels) and add the fifth panel's amperage in parallel to one of the sets. Is the attached diagram going to work? I am still learning. I hope someone can help me. Thanks.

Attachment not found.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Can five panels be wired in series/parallel?

Welcome to the forum.

The answer is "no" unfortunately.
    The reason is that the set on the right in your diagram will have its current output limited by the single panel, effectively eliminating the fifth panel from the mix (not 100% but enough so to make it a wasted effort).

There's really no way to mix odd numbers of the same panels in a series/parallel configuration.
  • Kgelles
    Kgelles Solar Expert Posts: 25
    Options
    Welcome to the forum.

The answer is "no" unfortunately.
    The reason is that the set on the right in your diagram will have its current output limited by the single panel, effectively eliminating the fifth panel from the mix (not 100% but enough so to make it a wasted effort).

There's really no way to mix odd numbers of the same panels in a series/parallel configuration.

Thanks for your help. That would explain why all of the PV wiring diagrams incorporate an even number of panels.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you want to mount 5 panels, and you have a 24V system you could, run 2 strings(series) of 2 - 12 volt nominal panels each parallel with a single 24 V nominal panel. You would want the added voltages of the 12V panels to be close to the Voltage of the 24 volt panel.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Jigme Urgyen
    Jigme Urgyen Registered Users Posts: 13
    Options

what you can do is connect 4 panels to your inverter/change controller. connect the 5th panel to a micro inverter, something like enphase or SMA micro.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    what you can do is connect 4 panels to your inverter/change controller. connect the 5th panel to a micro inverter, something like enphase or SMA micro.

Except that this is an off-grid system where a microinverter is pretty much useless.

Don't start explaining about AC coupling possibilities; that sort of thing is confusing to newbies. :roll: