Would like input on system. Getting ready to order...

2»

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Would like input on system. Getting ready to order...

You know what's really scary Vic? When it comes to component integrated systems Outback's is the best.

Still waiting for the guys at MidNite to release the controller with built-in battery monitor. Then if they'd make an inverter and really integrate all functions ... that would be off-grid solar heaven. :D
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

Marc,

Well, personally, I am waiting for Midnite to make a separate stand-alone Bat Mon, as already have some of their great CCs. Two Kelvin leads into the CC COULD allow it to measure actual Net batt charge current from the shunt in the battery neg lead.. MN does have a lot on their plates, and CC EA works well enough for systems here for CCs that have it implemented. It is difficult for me to find the correct Asorb time on systems that are not attended daily, and on systems with varied DOD. EA is nirvana. Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Cariboocoot

Vic;

Just now I'm having the same problem. It's been raining for almost two weeks and that means gen charging through the VFX. No End Amps, and I don't want to leave the gen running for every last bit every day so ... Watch the charge Amps and go kill the gen when they drop to 1 AC (about 5 on the DC side). Pain-in-the-anatomy! :grr

Today the sun finally shone and Float was the order for hours on end. That sure feels good. Reconfirms my plan of adding "morning panels" too.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Vic wrote: »
    But in the context of the post from vtmaps (as I read it) the implication that the Battery Monitor from OB, the FNDC, would terminate the CC's charge with EA read from the shunt in the neg lead of the batteries.
    I do not own an FN-DC, so I only know what I read.

Using the Mate, go ADV/MATE/PG3/FN-DC/enable FN-DC charge termination

From the mate manual:
    Pressing the <YES> soft key enables the (FLEXnet) FN-DC charge termination. The FNDC
    determines the batteries are fully charged when Charge parms met is satisfied. The MATE
    then commands all inverters and charge controllers to terminate their charge cycle
    . Pressing the
    <NO> soft key disables the FN-DC charge termination.

vtmaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • MadJack
    MadJack Solar Expert Posts: 47 ✭✭

Whoa, I'm going to have to bookmark this page for when my system is 'on-line'.
  • Cariboocoot

Yes, that's what it says. Seems some people have had different experience with how it works. Maybe they haven't programmed the MATE correctly (needs to poll and recognize the controllers, and they have to be plugged into the HUB in the right order). Or perhaps you still have to program the End Amps into the FM's anyway, to get everything to agree (will share data; won't share settings without them being put in to each device individually).

I would not fault anyone for missing a programming setting on an Outback system; their flexibility makes them very complex.
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

Hi vt,

Just was posting this on the OB Forum. Thanks again for the info. Did not know enough to know that the Mate was a commander as well as a system readout. Have never had, used or even seen one. ..

My post from the OB Forum FWIW:

>>Hi vt,

Well, I do not know enough to know. I have never had any mate. Did try to read every word in the FNDC manual, but, guess that should have read the Mate manuals as well.

In any case thanks for the added detail. Am looking for a Bat Mon that is useable on my systems, but think the step for me is too large ... would need an FM CC, FNDC, and thecorrect Mate.

BUT, for many others, this could help solve concerns, especially in systems that have variable DODs from day-to-day.

As solar systems become more integrated (a good thing), they necessarily become more complex, so it is difficult to stay on top of all of the intricacies among all of the parts.

Thanks again. Vic<<<

For me, guess am going to wait for the MN Bat Mon function. Altho, notice that there is a ModBus command in the MN Classic CC 'Force Float' ... hmmmm, but too many projects here. Thanks again vt, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.