Would like input on system. Getting ready to order...

MadJack
MadJack Solar Expert Posts: 47 ✭✭
I am off grid, no power at street. I've been running an EU3000 4 to 6 hours per day for some time and I want to cut that time considerably. I have 2 Trojan L16H-AC 6volt batteries and plan to buy 2 more very soon.
My question is, will this system [below] handle the load or is it more than I need?
We're still working on power use [minimizing]. The list came from a supplier, working on getting quote/list from NAWS as well.
Also, may be installing 68' of Rohn-25 for communication (rx-tx) with possibility of a turbine in the future. [already own the tower]

System List [Loads are less than 5.5khs per day]

S-SCHOTT230 Yes Schott 230 Watt "P" Solar Module 10
SH-FQ Freight amount for shipping TBD 1
O-PVLUG 9a C PV Module Ground Lug/screw/nut 10
O-TYCO-CABLE 30' Cable w/ m/f TYCO plug end 5
S-MNPV-6 E Midnite 6 Circuit Combiner Box 1
S-OBPV-15 E Outback 15A PV Breaker 5
C-OB-FM80 I Outback 80A Charge Controller 1
C-OB-TEMP P Outback Temperature Sensor 1
O-FLEXCCB Mounting Bracket for Side Mount FM60 1
O-FLEXDCBOX-250 H Outback Flex500 250A <KIT> 1
O-FLEXDCBOX H Flex 500 DC Breaker Box
O-OBDC250 H 250 amp Breaker for Flexware 1
LA-MID-SPD300 F Midnite Surge Protector Device - 300V 3
O-OBDC80 H Outback 80A DC Breaker 1
O-OBDC100-SMALL H 100 amp DC Breaker - Small footprint 1
M-TRIONLY G Trimetric 2025 Meter only 1
M-TRIBOX Trimetric Mounting Box 1
M-TRI-WIRE Trimetric 22 awg 4 Cond Wire 25
O-INLINE H Inline 3 Amp Fuse and Holder INSTALLED 1
O-SHUNT-4/0-24 24in 4/0 cable with lug ends 1
O-SHUNT-4/0-36 36in 4/0 cable with lug ends 1
I-OB-FXDCA K Outback DC Conduit Adapter 1
I-OBMATE M Outback System Controller - Beige 1
I-OB-VFX3524 02 L Outback 3500 watt 24v Inverter 1
I-BC10-4/0 N 4/0 Inverter Cable set 10' 1
O-PVENT-24 Q [24V] Battery Power Vent Fan 1 0
O-MINIRELAY dgrm 12v Relay for Aux Output Terminal 1

Items for a 24 volt system. PV mount and
batteries not listed. Transmission wire not
included.

Local power company wants $18K (may be more) to run wire and install meter.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Would like input on system. Getting ready to order...

Let's do the simple check first.

You have a 12 Volt system using two 320 or 390 Amp hour L16's. Adding two more batteries could be problematic, as old don't mix well with new. Plus you run in to current sharing problems. But it can be done.

If those specs are right you're looking for:

32 Amps * 12 Volts = 384 Watts / 0.77 derating = 498 Watt array
    39 Amps * 12 Volts = 468 watts / 0.77 derating = 607 Watt array

Using 230 Watt panels that would be two or three for either battery bank (I don't know which model of L16 you have).
    If you were to double the battery bank capacity you'd double the array size of course.

I'm not clear on your list, but it appears to indicate ten of these panels. if so, why? That would be more than is necessary if that's the right battery bank size. Get this straightened out and your halfway home.

The other thing I'll comment on is the 12 Volt system itself. Using those big batteries, you have as much as 2kW hour capacity with one set of 390's, and up to 4kW hours if you double it. Perhaps you should consider upping the system Voltage to 24 and not only reduce the DC current but also simplify the battery bank by putting them all in series.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭

The trimetric is a good battery monitor (I have one). If you get a flexnet DC instead, you can use 'end amps' to terminate your absorb charge.

Also, I don't see an outback hub on your list. I don't have one either, but I have two temperature sensors. If you have a hub, your temp sensor can serve both the inverter/charger and the charge controller.
    --vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • MadJack

Thanks for the input so far.
    The plan is to have 4 - 6v batteries to build 24v system.
    Coot, look near the bottom... "Items for a 24 volt system. PV mount and
    batteries not listed. Transmission wire not included."

"I have 2 Trojan L16H-AC 6volt batteries"
    If the "old" batteries ( nearing a year old with very little draw) don't cut it I'll buy two more new ones. Gas [for the genny] being at $4 is a waist where new batteries will save money in the long run.

Why ten 230 watt panels? I'm in Maine, charts all say 3 to 5 hours mid-day sun [depending on season]... And that's what the [first] supplier suggested. *Haven't heard back from NAWS yet* And I may want to add another bank of 4 L16's for higher storage capacity in the future, if the system can't handle the loads in the house.

The batteries I have say 435AH for 20 hours.... I'm not sure how that converts to 2kW hour capacity or 4kW on my planned 24v system. I've never been a math wiz and have a very hard time remembering formulas.
    And what would I need [system] if I were to max out the 5.5khs per day?
  • MadJack

vtmaps, what are "end amps"?

Outback Hub? I'll have to look that one up to see what it does. is it a must? What are the benefits?
    I guess I don't understand your term "serve the inverter/charger and charge controller".

Thanks again guys, I may learn something here.
  • vtmaps
    MadJack wrote: »
    The batteries I have say 435AH for 20 hours.... I'm not sure how that converts to 2kW hour capacity or 4kW on my planned 24v system.

Those numbers were for your 12 volt system
    390 ampHours x 12 volts = 4.68 kilowattHours
    Allowing for a 50% discharge you have 2.34 kwh of available energy in those batteries.
    --vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps, what are "end amps"?

Outback Hub? I'll have to look that one up to see what it does. is it a must? What are the benefits?
    I guess I don't understand your term "serve the inverter/charger and charge controller".

Read our host's battery FAQ to learn about the charge cycle. The second charge stage is 'Absorb' stage. During that stage the charger holds the battery at a constant voltage (the 'absorb' voltage) and as the battery charges up it draws less and less amps. At some point you declare the battery to be fully charged and you stop the absorb stage. There are two common ways to know when to end absorb. One way is to set a time (for example, 2 hours). Some chargers vary the time based on the time it took for the first (bulk) stage of charging. The other way is to monitor the battery current and terminate the absorb stage when a certain current (the 'end amps') is achieved.

If you want to do end amps, you will need a hub and a flexnet DC.

Both your inverter/charger (vfx3524) and your charge controller (FM80) should have their own remote temp sensors. If you have a hub they can share one remote temp sensor.

--vtMaps
  • vtmaps

One more thought... you are building your Outback system on their flex500 box. Its very compact and is quite a pain to work on or in. Might I suggest that you build it on Midnite's stretched E-panel. Much easier to work on and more adaptable to custom needs (room for extra AC or DC breakers). You can buy them prewired from Midnite or NAWS.
    http://www.solar-electric.com/misoprousy3w5.html
    http://www.solar-electric.com/misoprousy3w1.html
    --vtMaps
  • MadJack

vtmaps, Your explanation [surprisingly] was understood by this electrical novice. FAQ lists can be tedious to go through but I will look through them.
    As for 'what I am building', I'm still not sure. The list I posted are not my choices as I'm not educated enough on solar electronics and such. The list is simply what *one supplier* thinks I need based on a twenty minute conversation. I posted that list here so I could hear/learn things like what is posted above with the flex500 box vs. the "Midnite stretched E-panel... Much easier to work on and more adaptable to custom needs"
    How could anyone know that if they haven't already been there or had that conversation? That is why I'm here!

I was pleasantly surprised to open my email this morning and have a quote from NAWS. They work on Saturday? Awesome!
    I still have some learning and need to review my quotes but I'm hoping to get my system on a truck in the next week or so.

Thanks again for the help.
  • MadJack

vtmaps, I just noticed your sig... do you run a complete house on that system and what are you running? (if you don't mind my asking...)
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps, I just noticed your sig... do you run a complete house on that system and what are you running? (if you don't mind my asking...)
    Yes I run my whole house on it. That includes an 8 cu ft fridge/freezer and an 8 cu ft chest freezer (both ultra efficient). But my daily consumption is about 2.5 kwh (half of what you propose to consume). I have excluded my workshop from the calculations... I run a generator when I have large loads in the shop, but I have been surprised at how often I can load shift (use tools on a sunny afternoon) and avoid the generator.

In my opinion you might benefit from a larger battery bank (your proposed array could support twice your proposed battery bank).

By the way, what are you planning to spend on this system (I assume that you will have an installer)? Your power company wants $18,000 to hook you up. I guess that the installer wants less than $18,000, but you will have ongoing expenses for battery replacement, generator fuel and maintenance, and equipment replacement. (We put $14 per month into our battery replacement fund). Also, you will have battery maintenance to deal with and you will constantly have to pay attention to a bunch of meters. When things don't work, you won't be able to call the power company.

Are you sure that $18,000 is such a bad deal?

--vtMaps
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭

You may want to talk to your tax accountant. Adding solar to the $18K line run might be tax deductible at the 30% federal credit. It would be required for a grid tie solar system.
  • MadJack
    vtmaps wrote: »
    In my opinion you might benefit from a larger battery bank (your proposed array could support twice your proposed battery bank).

By the way, what are you planning to spend on this system (I assume that you will have an installer)? Your power company wants $18,000 to hook you up. I guess that the installer wants less than $18,000, but you will have ongoing expenses for battery replacement, generator fuel and maintenance, and equipment replacement. (We put $14 per month into our battery replacement fund). Also, you will have battery maintenance to deal with and you will constantly have to pay attention to a bunch of meters. When things don't work, you won't be able to call the power company.

Are you sure that $18,000 is such a bad deal?

--vtMaps

So you think I should go with 2 strings of 24v (4- 6volts batteries)

I had asked both suppliers for two quotes, 1) low end, with room for expansion, and 2) full blown system.
    I will install myself with some professional help. High-end parts plus shipping was $8600.
    With battery replacement, genny fuel (moving to propane on the EU3000), maintenance, I'm not concerned with costs compared to what I'm spending now. Especially with limitations of my current situation.
    Meter and battery monitoring is a non-issue as I am working from home most of the time.

Since deregulation here, we pay for power AND a delivery charge [2/3 of the power bill], driving up the cost of 'line-power'. And CMP is trying to push delivery fees [for power] higher, 2 or 3 times per year. $18K+ for their install plus a monthly bill, no matter what the government offers [money taken from another working man] is no "deal".
  • MadJack
    solar_dave wrote: »
    You may want to talk to your tax accountant. Adding solar to the $18K line run might be tax deductible at the 30% federal credit. It would be required for a grid tie solar system.

As stated earlier, I don't want to deal with the grid. My neighbors are always complaining of power outages and high bills. I was there, not going back. And 30% federal credit is coming out of *someone's pocket*.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    My neighbors are always complaining of high bills. I was there, not going back.
    I'm living off grid, although I haven't cut the grid connections, as I might very well be glad to have grid if I become unable to maintain my off grid system. And although it gives me HUGE satisfaction to be producing my own power and living independent of the Grid, saving money is NOT one of the benefits! Off grid power will almost definitely cost you far more than living on grid. We each have our own reasons for living off grid, but if all things are considered, very few cases result in the saving of any money.
    That said, I LOVE living off grid!
    What I'm saying is don't go with off grid for the wrong reason/s, otherwise you will almost certainly regret the decision.
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    As stated earlier, I don't want to deal with the grid. My neighbors are always complaining of power outages and high bills. I was there, not going back. And 30% federal credit is coming out of *someone's pocket*.

Well that is a bit of cutting off your nose to spit your face. And the tax savings are your dollars already, it doesn't get paid out of someone else's pocket. Using tax law to your advantage is your right, he!! 50% of americans pay no tax already.

Go ahead and pay the taxes, no skin off my ...

But I think you will find off grid solar is no bargain.
  • vtmaps
    So you think I should go with 2 strings of 24v (4- 6volts batteries)
    I wrote that your array could support twice your battery bank, but I did NOT suggest 2 strings in parallel. Parallel battery strings can work, but they require constant vigilance and are inherently unstable. read: http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?14674
    I will install myself with some professional help. High-end parts plus shipping was $8600.
    I would do the same as you if the choice was $18,000 for grid vs. $8600 for off grid. I had assumed that you would have an installer and that your cost would be closer to $14000. There are hundreds of nuances to installing a system and a wise installer is often worth the price. In my opinion, designing a system correctly is much easier than installing a system correctly (have you read the NEC)?. If you have the time, keep reading this forum... you'll get there.
    --vtMaps
  • MadJack
    solar_dave wrote: »
    Well that is a bit of cutting off your nose to spit your face. And the tax savings are your dollars already, it doesn't get paid out of someone else's pocket. Using tax law to your advantage is your right, he!! 50% of americans pay no tax already.

Go ahead and pay the taxes, no skin off my ...

But I think you will find off grid solar is no bargain.

So I should spend $18,000 of my money in order to gain back $5400 of Federal money??? Must be that 'west coast' math...

I do not have grid now because it is not available on the road I live.
    Solar will be cheaper than what I pay for gasoline to run the genny and will pay for itself [in fuel & maintenance costs] over the next 30 or 31 months. With gas prices on the rise and the uncertain political fallout near the end of this year, I know I'll have at least some power looking toward the future. In my situation $4500 investment in solar [minimal but adequate] to $8600 Solar [max for what I may use] is quite a *bargain*.
  • MadJack

vtmaps, thanks again for the added info and encouragement.
    24 months ago I called a local solar sales and install Rep. they quoted me $30K for the system and another $30K for the install of that system.
    NEC = National Electrical Code? No. But I have someone to turn to during the installation process and a Master Electrician/Solar Installer (2 different people) to verify everything I do before and after hookup.

Just a bit more info on my house usage:
    No furnace, actually we use ZERO power for heat. Just a very efficient wood stove, using 2.5 to 4 cords of wood annually. Thermal convection circulates warm air in winter, 12v 4" blower pulls cooler air to upstairs in summer. Fairly open floor plan.

Hot water is a $269 Eco-Temp instant water heater [3 yrs old now] that uses 0.1 amp to run its exhaust fan.

All lighting is 11watt cfl or led [battery]. Still looking for 12v led's for the house.

Fridge, freezer, and well pump[110v] are biggest draw.

Thanks again to all for the help so far. I plan to keep this board updated as I progress through this project.
  • offgrid me
    offgrid me Solar Expert Posts: 119 ✭✭

MadJack
    I to am in Maine with a similar living situation as yours. CMP wanted $40k to run the power up the street. I built my whole system batts racking and all for $15k. Seemed like a no brainer to me. I use wood for heat, I have the same water heater and my only large draws are the fridge and water pump and TV. My average daily usage is 3.5kwh per day and I made it through the winter with only 12hrs of generator run time. To me it was worth over sizing my array to limit generator run time. Keep this in mind when figuring your panels and go on the high side of any estimates for wattage needed.
    Ned
  • MadJack

Ned, I'm also in Central ME. I would like to have a look at your racking system and 'sky-view' sometime. Looks like you have the PV backed up to a woodline to keep the wind-loading down on the 'sail'. Nice.
    How far a run from pv to inverter?
  • offgrid me
    offgrid me Solar Expert Posts: 119 ✭✭

Madjack
    Yes im backed up to the woods. Its about 85ft from CC to panels but I run a high voltage CC.
    Check your private messages
    Ned
  • MadJack

I would like to thank all who responded. Special thanks to 'offgridme' for his hospitality a couple weekends ago. He (and his wife) gave us a couple hours worth of explaining this & that, why's and how to.
    With the information gained on this site and seeing a system first hand, I feel a bit more comfortable that I'm investing my money wisely.

Thanks again Ned, when you two coming down this way?
  • MadJack

Ok, bringing this up one more time...

The above mentioned system has been trashed by an installer with supposedly 30+ years experience Floyd of Maine Solar in Starks Maine says a system with 4 - 6volt Trojan L16h-AC (435ah @ 20 hours) will not produce more than 6.? amps. "barely enough for some lights and a radio" he says.
    He also spews that he "only installs 48volt systems" but he has two (separate) Outback 3524's he was mounting to the Midnight box (wiring them up) along with the Outback FM60, meters and whatnot...

Come on... Really?
    I was going to make the call today and order but now I'm back on the sidelines, trying to decide if I have done enough homework. The last thing I need to do is toss over $5K in the trash!

With the system listed I'm really only hoping to get away from running the genny everyday, hopefully every third or fourth day. What do you guys think? Is this guy blowing smoke up my backside?
  • Cariboocoot

Let's see. Four 435 Amp hour 6 Volt batteries in a 24 Volt configuration. 25% DOD gives you 100 Amp hours @ 24 Volts, or 2.4 kW hours DC. Hmm. Just about what I run the cabin on. With a refrigerator, computer/satellite set-up, water pumps, lights, microwave ...

What do you think?

I think he doesn't know his brass from his oboe. :roll:
  • Dill
    Dill Solar Expert Posts: 170 ✭✭

agreed, find a new installer!
  • MadJack

Dill, I will be installing my own system with help from a couple guys smarter than me on this stuff.. Around here installers want $30 to $50K to do an install!
    I only wanted to visit his "store" to see if I could buy PV panels 'in hand' but he's asking $600+ each for 235w Sharp panels.

Thanks again 'coot'.
  • Dill
    Dill Solar Expert Posts: 170 ✭✭

ah I gotcha. Well, I would say he is off-base and just trying to sell you on his equipment and services.
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    vtmaps wrote: »
    The trimetric is a good battery monitor (I have one). If you get a flexnet DC instead, you can use 'end amps' to terminate your absorb charge.

Also, I don't see an outback hub on your list. I don't have one either, but I have two temperature sensors. If you have a hub, your temp sensor can serve both the inverter/charger and the charge controller.
    --vtMaps

BTW, in a telecon, plus a couple of posts from Outback Power on their Fourm, Using the OB Battery Monitor, the FNDC, the only End Amp termination of Asorb is when charging from Outback inverters -- NOT when charging from the FlexMax or the MX-60 Charge Controllers (unfortunately) ... This question took weeks for an answer to emerge. FWIW, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Cariboocoot
    Vic wrote: »
    BTW, in a telecon, plus a couple of posts from Outback Power on their Fourm, Using the OB Battery Monitor, the FNDC, the only End Amp termination of Asorb is when charging from Outback inverters -- NOT when charging from the FlexMax or the MX-60 Charge Controllers (unfortunately) ... This question took weeks for an answer to emerge. FWIW, Vic

Um, FM and MX charge controllers have End Amps built-in. The Flexnet adds this ability to inverters (where it has always been sadly lacking).
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

Yes indeed Marc they do.

But in the context of the post from vtmaps (as I read it) the implication that the Battery Monitor from OB, the FNDC, would terminate the CC's charge with EA read from the shunt in the neg lead of the batteries. That is, it would actually be Net EA into the batteries, not EA in the general direction of the batteries. The FNDC appears to have the Terminate Asorb on EA into the batts, but ONLY from the OB inverters, not ANY of their CCs Technically, this function may really come from a Mate #?. I dunno, there was some back and forth in a different thread than the linked one just below, anyway here is what OB said:
    http://www.outbackpower.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6253

It is too bad that even within a given mfg's line of solar hardware, that this function does not seem to exist for CCs terminating Asorb on that mfg's own battery monitor's reading of actual battery Net charge current. The battery monitor DOES have a shunt in the neg lead of the batts, the info is flowing into the batt mon, and the bat mon seems very busy igonring this info, when it could sent a 'Force Float' command to the CC, thus removing this favorite nit to pick about CCs and EA terminating Asorb.

Doubt that anyone cares, but this it the earlier discussion of Asorb times and EA.stuff, and vt was a part of that:
    http://www.outbackpower.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=6233

Anyway perhaps a bit too much shorthand in the earlier post of mine ... and so on. Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.