Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would like input on system. Getting ready to order...

Default Re: Would like input on system. Getting ready to order...

Ned, I'm also in Central ME. I would like to have a look at your racking system and 'sky-view' sometime. Looks like you have the PV backed up to a woodline to keep the wind-loading down on the 'sail'. Nice.
    How far a run from pv to inverter?

Madjack
    Yes im backed up to the woods. Its about 85ft from CC to panels but I run a high voltage CC.
    Check your private messages
    Ned
    20 evergreen 210 XW 6048 XW 80 600 16 trojan T105 victron bm custom ground mount all the power we need to live a normal off grid life

I would like to thank all who responded. Special thanks to 'offgridme' for his hospitality a couple weekends ago. He (and his wife) gave us a couple hours worth of explaining this & that, why's and how to.
    With the information gained on this site and seeing a system first hand, I feel a bit more comfortable that I'm investing my money wisely.

Thanks again Ned, when you two coming down this way?

Ok, bringing this up one more time...

The above mentioned system has been trashed by an installer with supposedly 30+ years experience Floyd of Maine Solar in Starks Maine says a system with 4 - 6volt Trojan L16h-AC (435ah @ 20 hours) will not produce more than 6.? amps. "barely enough for some lights and a radio" he says.
    He also spews that he "only installs 48volt systems" but he has two (separate) Outback 3524's he was mounting to the Midnight box (wiring them up) along with the Outback FM60, meters and whatnot...

Come on... Really?
    I was going to make the call today and order but now I'm back on the sidelines, trying to decide if I have done enough homework. The last thing I need to do is toss over $5K in the trash!

With the system listed I'm really only hoping to get away from running the genny everyday, hopefully every third or fourth day. What do you guys think? Is this guy blowing smoke up my backside?

Let's see. Four 435 Amp hour 6 Volt batteries in a 24 Volt configuration. 25% DOD gives you 100 Amp hours @ 24 Volts, or 2.4 kW hours DC. Hmm. Just about what I run the cabin on. With a refrigerator, computer/satellite set-up, water pumps, lights, microwave ...

What do you think?

I think he doesn't know his brass from his oboe.
    Four 175 Watt panels, OB MX60, 232 Amp hrs, OB 3524, Honda eu2000.

Ohm's Law: Amps = Volts / Ohms
    Power Formula: Watts = Volts * Amps

agreed, find a new installer!

Dill, I will be installing my own system with help from a couple guys smarter than me on this stuff.. Around here installers want $30 to $50K to do an install!
    I only wanted to visit his "store" to see if I could buy PV panels 'in hand' but he's asking $600+ each for 235w Sharp panels.

Thanks again 'coot'.

ah I gotcha. Well, I would say he is off-base and just trying to sell you on his equipment and services.

Quote Originally Posted by vtmaps View Post
    The trimetric is a good battery monitor (I have one). If you get a flexnet DC instead, you can use 'end amps' to terminate your absorb charge.

Also, I don't see an outback hub on your list. I don't have one either, but I have two temperature sensors. If you have a hub, your temp sensor can serve both the inverter/charger and the charge controller.
    --vtMaps
    BTW, in a telecon, plus a couple of posts from Outback Power on their Fourm, Using the OB Battery Monitor, the FNDC, the only End Amp termination of Asorb is when charging from Outback inverters -- NOT when charging from the FlexMax or the MX-60 Charge Controllers (unfortunately) ... This question took weeks for an answer to emerge. FWIW, Vic
    Off-Grid, Sys1: 1280 AH 48 V bat, 3.150 KW STC PV, Classic 150, MX-60, Xantrex Stacked SW+ 5548s; EU6500isa, 21KW Kubota diesel gens, misc Honda Eu gens
    Sys2: 1280 AH 48 V 4KS25 Surrettes, 5.88 KW STC, Two Classic 150s, MN SPDs, Stacked X SW+ 5548s; Kohler 18 KW LP, EU 3000isa gens, HB DC Charger, Midnite Breakers/boxes. Thanks for this great Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Vic View Post
    BTW, in a telecon, plus a couple of posts from Outback Power on their Fourm, Using the OB Battery Monitor, the FNDC, the only End Amp termination of Asorb is when charging from Outback inverters -- NOT when charging from the FlexMax or the MX-60 Charge Controllers (unfortunately) ... This question took weeks for an answer to emerge. FWIW, Vic
    Um, FM and MX charge controllers have End Amps built-in. The Flexnet adds this ability to inverters (where it has always been sadly lacking).
    Four 175 Watt panels, OB MX60, 232 Amp hrs, OB 3524, Honda eu2000.

Ohm's Law: Amps = Volts / Ohms
    Power Formula: Watts = Volts * Amps