Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: unavoidable laundry

Default Re: unavoidable laundry

Vic is correct.

Also, don't condemn a brand name because you had a problem with it. Maytag front loaders have been made by Maytag, Samsung, and Whirlpool in the last ten years. Kenmore front loaders have been made by Electrolux (Frigidaire), Whirlpool, LG, and Samsung in the same time period. I have seen bearing failures in all the major brands (except LG), but I know from my appliance repair buddies, that even the LG product can have a bearing failure.
    24V system. 8x BPSX170 and 4x Suntech 170 on Redrok trackers through Midnite Classic200. 250W of fixed homebrew panels though C40. DanB 10' Piggot axial style wind turbine through Classic 150 and Ryan-copied clipper. HuP Solar One, 845Ahr@24V Outback VFX3524. Generac 7550EXL.

Not condeming them, I'm just passing on the info I received from the repair guy. He said they have not yet fixed the design problem and suggested avoiding them. He did make it clear that a bearing failure is a new washer. If I remember correctly, $400 part and $200 labor.

Our Samsung front loader is about a year old, and does about 3 or 4 loads a week. So far, so good.

i went to sears recently and with general talking back and forth the salesperson alerted me that the whirlpool front loading washers have a reputation of burning out the electronics and that sears is no longer allowing whirlpool to make them for sears under the kenmore name.
    NIEL

Good to know Niel, thanks! Mine, I believe, is made by Frigidaire, with the Kenmore name stenciled on. SO FAR, still working great after almost 3 years. on the Xantrex Pure Sine 1800/12.
    1900 watts PV, (1000 watts PV feeding MidNite Classic 150; 900 watts PV + 160 watts micro hydro both feeding into a single shared Morningstar TS-MPPT-60) ; Xantrex Pure Sine 1800/12 for heavy loads; Xantrex Pure Sine 1000/12 on 24/7 for everything else; six Rolls Surrette 2 volt L16 @ 12 volts.
    Domestic hot water totally provided by the sun 8 months out of every year via thermal panel.

Quote Originally Posted by solar_dave View Post
    My wife tells me all laundry is unadvoidable, especially if you have 2 grand kids that like to roll in the dirt. <politically correct statement Personally I think nakedness for some would be an improvement but not so much for others!

Clothes line going up here real soon, that gosh dern dryer sucks the juice.
    Something I saw the other day that should be avoidable and illegal, is the selling of used lingerie at the community thrift store. I don't care how many times they are laundered, it's a bad idea.
    My Power Pack: $490

Remote electricity: Priceless

SunWize 80W panel, Costco 75Ah Marine battery, SunSaver 10A CC, Black&Decker 1000W Inverter, 3 12VDC ventilation fans(my diversion load), infrastructure. Mobile Cinema ($15 @ thrift store).

1800 Watts of Evergreen panels, survey site selected.

I have a front loader GE. I tested it back in 2006 so I am recalling the numbers by memory.
    The washer used 12 gallons of water to do a half load of laundry (discharge hose in trash can).
    I remember being pretty happy with its power consumption, remember it being about 1 cent worth of virginia power, so 0.1kwh.
    Peak power was drawen during spin cycle, it was 350 or 550 watts.
    So all around very easy on the utilities.

I bought mine new for about $1000, this was before I knew about used applience dealers.
    50'' diameter 3 bladed 24V 500w PMA powering a modified 14-28v 300w grid tie, too close to the ground. + a lot more toys.

Quote Originally Posted by bmet View Post
    Something I saw the other day that should be avoidable and illegal, is the selling of used lingerie at the community thrift store. I don't care how many times they are laundered, it's a bad idea.
    But bmet, those items can be SO exciting to wear! Hahahahahahahahaha
    But alas, methinks we digress - - - still, just had to have a bit of fun with that one
    1900 watts PV, (1000 watts PV feeding MidNite Classic 150; 900 watts PV + 160 watts micro hydro both feeding into a single shared Morningstar TS-MPPT-60) ; Xantrex Pure Sine 1800/12 for heavy loads; Xantrex Pure Sine 1000/12 on 24/7 for everything else; six Rolls Surrette 2 volt L16 @ 12 volts.
    Domestic hot water totally provided by the sun 8 months out of every year via thermal panel.