SMA Sunny Island/ Sunny Boy Configuration Help Request

Florida, USA - I have 2 SMA Sunny Islands 5048-US configured as Master, Slave1 - split-Phase 240Vac, 10kW, Grid Tied, No Generator, 12 12V 225 Ah batteries, 4 x 3 = 48V, and with one SMA Sunny Boy 8000-US and 36 235W REC Solar Panels, Sunny Island Master and Sunny Boy have RS-485 Communication Modules. I also have the Sunny WebBox.

I am not sure if the "Default" configuration is set correctly in the Sunny Boy.

I have a configuration parameter question for the Sunny Boy. What parameter do I use so that the Sunny Islands will allow the Sunny Boy to run when the Grid is down and the batteries need charging? The 3 "Default" configuration choices are: USA/UL1741/2005, OFF_Grid, or NON IEE1547. The manuals are confusing.

From reading the manuals: I have learned that the Sunny Island will insure UL1741 is active and that Sunny Boy knows it because of the RS-485 link between them.

See page 74 - http://files.sma.de/dl/4752/SB50US-80US-eng-IUS112633.pdf also please read section: 14.2.4 Backup Operation and ”Anti-Islanding”from: http://files.sma.de/dl/7995/SI5048U-TUS101331.pdf

Thanks for your help in advance!

Comments

• DGM17
    DGM17 Registered Users Posts: 4
    Re: SMA Sunny Island/ Sunny Boy Configuration Help Request

Answer: Got the answer from SMA tech.
    (This is super secret..... Do not tell any one........)

The Sunny Islands, when Grid Tied, and the grid is down, will tell the Sunny Boys by Frequency adjustment connection to “vary” how much energy to harvest.

***Now for the super secret part!*** - There is a Hidden Parameter, "Backup Mode" is not listed in the manual that came with my PV inverter, Version 3.1. Also I cannot find it on the newer Version 3.3 manual in my original post, (directly from the SMA web site). The "Backup Mode" must be changed to “On All”.

If this adjustment to the "hidden parameter" is not made then the Sunny Boys will just turn on and off, because it will see the wrong Frequency.

(See my original post) - In the USA no adjustment should be made to the "Default" configuration, choices are: USA/UL1741/2005, OFF_Grid, or NON IEE1547. It should remain: USA/UL1741/2005, no mater if the Sunny Boy is a standard Grid tied inverter or if it is used, as in my case, working with the grid tied Sunny Islands.