VAWT Cage Construction

GreenPowerManiac
GreenPowerManiac Solar Expert Posts: 453 ✭✭✭
Attempting to make a Vertical Axis Wind Turbine with the Boom Cage & louvers. Sort of a helical twist to it. See pictures. For some reason they're not picking up the wind very good. Any aerodynamic nut cases out there to suggest anything ?
Nature's Design & Green Energy on FaceBook : Stop by and "Like" us anytime.. Many up-to-date articles about Renewables every day.
WWW.GreenAnything.Net    Ad free website.
Lots of DIY Renewable Energy Projects on ETSY : Solar Panel builds, Wind Turbine builds, Rain Barrel build,etc.  

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: VAWT Cage Construction

Some of those types need a motor or a second / stacked rotor that can start the blades turning? Once the main blades are turning, then they will develop lift and continue to turn/supply torque.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

bb is right that you need something to get them started. you could try a small savonius arrangement or maybe even cups, be they pointed or blunt (with pointed being more aerodynamic), as some anemometers would have. you would need at least 3 cups and preferably 4.
    i also have to add that something doesn't seem right with the blade twist. maybe i'm just not seeing it well enough as i think it may be twisting in the wrong direction, but i also question if you need a full 90 degrees from top to bottom as i think something less like 60 degrees may suit better.
  • russ
    russ Solar Expert Posts: 593 ✭✭

In a stationary situation would not the load be close to equal on all sides?

Once rotating the wind collecting blades would have the advantage.

Like Bill & Neil suggest - assist it to start rotating and see what happens.
  • GreenPowerManiac

Yes, I agree. Have seen some videos on Vawts. Later on yesterday, I added a few more blades to move the cage, however, the wind died down and unable to test. I like the cup design blade but am a little short on thin sheet metal to make some real-looking ones.
    Nature's Design & Green Energy on FaceBook : Stop by and "Like" us anytime.. Many up-to-date articles about Renewables every day.
    Lots of DIY Renewable Energy Projects on ETSY : Solar Panel builds, Wind Turbine builds, Rain Barrel build,etc.  
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Also, I am not sure I understand the "twist" in each blade--It does not make aerodynamic sense too me.

It looks like the design may have intended to be "self starting"--but unless the top (where the blades are "flat" to the rotational relative wind) are streamlined ("cup" or "V" shaped) -- They will just retard rotation rather than provide starting torque.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • GreenPowerManiac

I'm working on the extra "Cup" blades and pretty much removing the twist effect. Waiting for some wind to test it with, it's been dead calm the past few days. Once I get it right, I'll post some pictures.
  • GreenPowerManiac

It's been awhile. I've actually been working Afternoons for almost 7 weeks now. Haven't had much time. Built a better design for fins. See pictures. Tested with the air compressor hose and works like a charm. Now to design and build a pole mount that's easy maintenance after install. Funny to say that this turbine will assist power to my new chicken coop, most recently built to match my pole barn. If anyone is interested in seeing it, then PM me for FaceBook info.
  • GreenPowerManiac

Finally done it. Installed. Seems that it has a higher start up speed than expected: around 8-10mph. Hasn't been windy enough to check on voltage/amps. May have to do some research on lower start up speed tips. Noticed that the base must be supported well, otherwise it will wobble on the pole. Not a pretty sight, so I mounted 3 guy wires to it for extra strength. Will keep you posted....... Any comments welcome.....
  • niel

the slower startup may be due to the deviation from being a true savonius s as you basically only have 4 elongated cups or troughs. being you have what you have, it may be beneficial to have something jut out much like the small cups you'd see on many anemometers because this will afford more leverage for the wind to act upon the troughs giving it a bit of a kick start. i'd try those mounted higher up on the troughs to catch the wind up higher which is stronger.
    another possibility would be to just move the troughs out a bit farther from the center point. i don't suppose either of these to make a big difference though.
  • GreenPowerManiac

Well.... Had to take it down after two days anyhow. Seems that the 2nd phase wire came loose inside the motor and was not generating any power. The next issue was the "cups" fins where starting to move on the mounts, making it wobble. Will anchor the housing down upon next install.... I'm going to try and modify the cups more like the Jay Leno's Green Garage VAWT. Basically air plane wings. I only have some time to think on the weekends. I might make the blades out of 2x6's but I'll have to find a planer to get the basic shapes right and balanced. This project should be more interesting.........
  • soleil
    soleil Solar Expert Posts: 45

I'm interested in seeing your chicken coop. I have a few hens myself.
  • niel

gpm,
    keep us updated with any possible photos as well. sorry about the wire. darn gremlins.:grr