"When the Lights Go Out"...

Comments

• bmet
    bmet Solar Expert Posts: 630 ✭✭
    Re: "When the Lights Go Out"...

never seen the show, but one had to expect a certain amount of creative licensing and not to spend too much $$$ on actual facts
  • Steven Lake
    Steven Lake Solar Expert Posts: 402 ✭✭

Well, obviously, since it's a reality TV show. But some of the techniques, ideas, and systems they work with are pretty good and would work in a pinch. I'm not saying you shouldn't use better solutions when it comes to surviving, but in a pinch the stuff they came up with is pretty good. :)
  • SteveK
    SteveK Solar Expert Posts: 387 ✭✭

Waynefromcanada.....YOU ROCK!

I am a (here it comes..lol) a prepper (that wasn't so bad now). I also understand Niel's position. It is one I need to defend against every so often. Fact is I haven't been to a hospital in ages and hope I never will again. My family is most always well. That's a blessing and makes me not worry so much about needing professional care regularly in dire times. Natural selection is still alve and well no matter the diversions from it's existence...some solar panels will not really change that. The legacy is bring the family along for the ride on all of this so they can respond to disasters without me there for whatever reason.

I don't foresee a major catastrophe, I prepare for it. We feel we are in advanced stages of preparedness as a matter of fact. But we still live life normaly taking advantage of sales and coupons and long term food storage. We work to develop talents like gardening, power generation/conservation, fieldcraft, canning/drying and carpentry even though she's a nurse and I'm a millwright living faily comfortable, modest but debt free existences.

It's a good feeling that I would encourage others to try even on a small scale. You can't go wrong with food storage...it has increased in value far beyond 401K's in recent times. And it tastes better than money too!

Yes, the neighbors think we are a bit over the top with the gardening and solar but that's all they really see on the surface. When another Halloween Storm hits, I'm sure they will enjoy the fresh brewed coffee as much as they did the last storm...lol
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭

@ SteveK: Hahaha Amazed at how much we think alike on these things. We are aware that no matter what we do, life for all of us will eventually come to a close, of that there is no escape. But in the meantime, it's awesome to do what we're doing, even as others shake their heads and wonder - - - - :)
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

don't get me wrong here as i agree with some preparations and was just more critical of the term "doomsday" and that no matter how much or how long you prepare for something that there will be something else not anticipated or thought of as nobody can prepare for all let alone foresee all. i actually wish i could do more, but like most others i have limitations due to $, circumstances, etc. maybe in a strange way we are nuts, but it's in a good way for most of us.

although i don't term myself as a prepper i do prepare as best as i can for some things.
  • SteveK
    niel wrote: »
    don't get me wrong here as i agree with some preparations and was just more critical of the term "doomsday" and that no matter how much or how long you prepare for something that there will be something else not anticipated or thought of as nobody can prepare for all let alone foresee all. i actually wish i could do more, but like most others i have limitations due to $, circumstances, etc. maybe in a strange way we are nuts, but it's in a good way for most of us.

although i don't term myself as a prepper i do prepare as best as i can for some things.

Naw Niel I hadn't read anything like that from you and you certainly are correct about not being able to prepare for every event. Didn't mean to imply anything else. All we can do is do as much as we can. Storing stuff is a baby step process for us that has been going on for years to minimize the financial impact. In most any disaster situation the basics are really what matter. To have enough for my family and neighbors is important to me. If after 12 months I need to form an earthworks, and mount gun nests to keep and hold my beans I'm not sure I'd want to stick around longer anyways..lol. We have guns but not enough for a defense of castle...as if we even had a castle...

To me I'm kind of sad that the portayal of the series became "Doomsday" oriented too. It is a defeatist label that assumes there is no tomorrow after an event for anyone. I do not subscribe to that theory.

On a lighter note you may be interested to know that one of the new "Doomsday Preppers" was stripped of his weapons three days after the show aired.... Just goes to show the pressure of celebrity status in this country!!. LOL! Here's a link: http://offgridsurvival.com/doomsdayprepperdeclaredmentaldefective/

To stay on topic, the reason this post caught my attention is a poster that set-up the battery backup without RE in his home was reminescent of my initial setup. I have not been without enough electricity since.
  • Steven Lake
    Steven Lake Solar Expert Posts: 402 ✭✭
    SteveK wrote: »
    Geez, that's nuts. To make matters worse, some further digging on this one topic shows a whole bunch of conflicting information out there. According to FEMA "you need to prep and be ready for any disaster." But according to DHS, "if you prep, you're a terrorist, and we will confiscate all your stuff". I give up. I just give up. With a screwed up federal mentality like that, it makes prepping pointless. You're better off to not even bother prepping and just take your chances rather than be labeled a lunatic because you did what FEMA told you, causing you to lose everything you've worked so hard to collect. Good thing I never bothered to start. Hopefully DHS won't consider my FEMA suggested bugout bag or battery backup to be a terrorist activity. *rolls eyes*
    To stay on topic...
    Yup, back to topic. :D As for the person with the battery backup, were you by chance referring to my setup?
  • SteveK

Yes we used to do what you are doing pretty much minus the transfer switching. We never transfer switched because we heated with coal and were always around the home area within a couple hours. I think everyone should have a safe battery bank and inverter as a minimum. It's a good safety net for not alot of money. Keeping the essentials powered-up for a 2 day run gets through most outages then recharge from the grid.

It's a good way to get into off-grid solar RE in a modular fashion, a little at a time, if the bank is sized properly in the beginning. IMO of course.

About the prep thing. There are lessons to be learned from this guy. Don't prep on cable TV. Don't go flashing the guns around no matter how harmless. Don't feel the need to tell it on the mountain. Don't go for psychiatric treatment for any reason and expect to keep your guns.

Did I mention don't prep on cable TV?........:confused:
  • niel

oh boy, i guess i better quit kidding about being nuts.
    that video disturbs me that they would railroad him like that.
  • niel

come to think of it that was something he did not anticipate or prepare for, but who'd have thought that was to be a problem? *******edited out by me as big brother may misinterpret its meaning.
  • techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

I saw The Colony when it aired. Way too much of it was staged/faked, like the "attacks" from outside. Yes there were some interesting points, like welding directly from the battery bank, and setting up a gasifier to run an engine from wood. Basically all the stuff the engineer demonstrated. Otherwise, meh.
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • BilljustBill
    BilljustBill Solar Expert Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
    techntrek wrote: »
    I saw The Colony when it aired. Way too much of it was staged/faked, like the "attacks" from outside. Yes there were some interesting points, like welding directly from the battery bank, and setting up a gasifier to run an engine from wood. Basically all the stuff the engineer demonstrated. Otherwise, meh.

If you have time to watch the old version of "The Grapes of Wrath" with Henry Fonda, I think the insight to what could happen in the coming days is a bit more real. The movie is a "happier and hopeful" version of the book's stark view, but still it should get your attention.

Consider that in the 1929-1935+ years, the population in America was smaller, and there were no FEMA or food stamp programs. I've read that when considering the increase in our current Population since then, and over 48 million now on foodstamp assistance, if it wasn't for "Unemployment Insurance" payments, we would be in worse condition than 1929. If it wasn't so important, and actual unemployment numbers approaching 19%, why would they extend those benefits using money from the Social Security Program?

One of the things not touched on in this thread is that of what will happen to those who have done their best to "Prep", but haven't put back the "means" for paying taxes and possibly home insurance. In the beginning of the movie, the characters in the story watch their home flattened with a big dozer because those with money got control of the land. Maybe, one thing to remember is to have enough "means" in addition to paying for medications and "unknowns", to pay for a year's property and IRS taxes...albeit in paper money, precious metals, or "cash" generating items from bartering and trade.

Don't overlook that there is the tried-and-true core of folks that would help others. But, it may be that it's time to stop feeling like you should be tell people what's coming. If they know, or if local officals know, about your water/wind turbine, solar panels, batteries/generators, and more, then "They" are likely to see you as a "Resource" to USE. I think that on your own, you can see that 21st Century People and all levels of Federal, State, and Local Government are different than in 1929. There are so many more "People" related issues to Prepping than just food and water, guns and ammo, and shelter with comforts and electricity....
    Bill
  • niel

you bring up the point of taxes and that is a good point being nobody truly owns their property and many do lose it because of those taxes. they (taxing governmental bodies) can and do whatever they like and they've been doing it in my county as well as many others out there, esp in calif from scuttlebutt. i would elaborate further on this, but it may be too far removed from the scope of this forum. suffice it to say that to keep whatever you have you are probably in for a fight be it food, electricity, and all other of your real and personal property. if it's governmental then count on losing.
  • bmet
    bmet Solar Expert Posts: 630 ✭✭

When i moved to Az. I learned "my" car could be legally confiscated in response to any official Emergency.
  • SteveK

There is a plethora of great advice in this thread. Like Niel, I'd like to fill 3 pages with links and information on this subject but I know it is probably too far off topic. Someone above spoke of commodity confiscations. I do believe we will be there again if something large enough happens. It has happened in the past forcefully as in Gold and as "donations" in the war time "drives" for materials. It is well within the government's power to do so in the name of nationalism and patriotism. As Niel said, simply talking has become a broadcast event with the internet. It should suffice to reference the old sayings "Don't keep all your eggs in one basket" and "Loose lips sink ships".

I do not believe David Sarti.. the gunless prepper...kept all of his "eggs" in one basket but his lips were certainly loose.

Heck, in my signature below I show 2 solar panels, a CC, and an inverter that I keep in reserve. This protected to the best of my ability from an EMP event and those that would want to confiscate them from us. This even though the chances are very slim the protection will ever be required. If I didn't believe in prepping they would be in use daily....

If I may insert three pieces of advice to all that may be gearing up for the long haul (I know this is dangerously close to being too far off topic here on this forum). First is, scour the web for info on preparedness at preparedness websites. Do this and just ignore the "mutant zombie biker" fanatics that may turn otherwise non-gun-lovers off of the main subject of prepping entirely. Second, get with a group of like minded people in your area. Preferably dear neighbors and family. There is more than just simple brute strength in numbers. Thirdly, research medications, dosages and diagnostic proceedures for ailments, first aid, and buy "fish meds".....even Cipro can be had without a script purchasing it in "fish med form" from the local pet store or online.

I have taken these meds and they do work fine. They are the same as human meds with dosages adjusted. These can be rotated on expiration but if stored correctly will last far longer than that. The only side affect I've noticed is my skin got a little scaley but never turned into a merman....HA! Do this carefully though. This advice can be responsible for more than just a bad day if done wrong. The typical disclaimers do apply. My wife is an RN that never really left school. She aspires to become a nurse practitioner so we are lucky to have her expertise with us.

Look into the Mormons' methods of preparedness. You may have an LDS cannery local to you like we do. Wholesale bulk foods available to the general public. Cash and carry complete with all supplies you need for packaging or canning and they let you use the canning machines for free too......
  • TnAndy
    TnAndy Solar Expert Posts: 249 ✭✭

This thread has drifted way far from the intent of this forum, in which most solar gear is sold to folks that are pre-paying their electric bills for many years ahead (grid tie only) in the assumption that the grid will still be around, and somebody will want to be paid for supplying it. A glance at my sig line will indicate I'm on the fence.....ahahahaaa..

If you lean toward the 'dark side' of the fence..literally, the one with no lights.....you could go places like this:

http://www.survivalmonkey.com/forum/off-grid-living/31945-bare-bones-refrigeration-grid-down-world.html
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    TnAndy wrote: »
    This thread has drifted way far from the intent of this forum, in which most solar gear is sold to folks that are pre-paying their electric bills for many years ahead (grid tie only) in the assumption that the grid will still be around, and somebody will want to be paid for supplying it. A glance at my sig line will indicate I'm on the fence.....ahahahaaa..

If you lean toward the 'dark side' of the fence..literally, the one with no lights.....you could go places like this:

http://www.survivalmonkey.com/forum/off-grid-living/31945-bare-bones-refrigeration-grid-down-world.html

I resemble that remark, if the SHF we will probably want to just bug out of here as the infrastructure is all based on electric and water supply both of which will be a huge issue. The wife is pushing for a cistern now to capture rain water for irrigation uses, I am on the fence with it. Given some lead time the battery and electronics to flip to off grid could be done I suppose but would be a major undertaking to make staying a possibility. At least the house could be zoned to reduce the required setup in that eventuality.

Really I have a hard time coming to grips with a system large enough to make this place habitable in 115F heat while being off grid.
  • waynefromnscanada
    solar_dave wrote: »
    Really I have a hard time coming to grips with a system large enough to make this place habitable in 115F heat while being off grid.

My question is not in any way sarcastic, or smart-assed, rather it's an honest question. If people lived in your area before AC, how did they do it, how did they survive? Did they have different ways, or did they just suffer it out?
  • TnAndy
    TnAndy Solar Expert Posts: 249 ✭✭

The very few that lived there before sweated a lot....and used swamp coolers. Without electric power, the "Valley of the Sun" would revert pretty quick to what it was before......a natural habit of lizards, jack rabbits, rattle snakes and a few really ornery prospectors.
  • solar_dave
    TnAndy wrote: »
    The very few that lived there before sweated a lot....and used swamp coolers. Without electric power, the "Valley of the Sun" would revert pretty quick to what it was before......a natural habit of lizards, jack rabbits, rattle snakes and a few really ornery prospectors.

Nail hit firmly on the head! :D:D:D

here is the state population stats.
    1900 = 122,931
    1950 = 749,587
    1990 = 3,665,228
    2000 = 5,130,632
    2010 = 6,329,017
    Percent change 1990 - 2000 40%
    http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0004986.html
  • waynefromnscanada

Ah - - so now I know!
    Thanks for educating me :D
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Remember that addressing issues/modernization/safety around your home can reduce the chances of harm/emergency evacuation/limit losses...

For example, in California much has been learned about the effects of earthquakes. Older homes were not bolted to their foundations, cripple walls/soft stories that need shear walls (strip 1/4 of wall and attach plywood with lots of fasteners), mounting water heaters, valves that close when a quake hits or gas lines are pulled apart, etc...

Trimming back flammable vegetation in fire areas.

Cleaning drains, sumps, checking pumps to prevent flooding. Have some way of storing water for a week or so (even temporary storage).

Updating home to wind/hurricane codes for roof attachment. Digging storm shelter for tornado areas.

Backup power/fuel for a week or two of shelter in place. etc....

Many major natural disasters (earthquakes, tornadoes, fires) tend to be mottled or a set of localized destruction with large swaths of relatively undamaged properties (although, you may lose power, natural gas, water for awhile).

At least, if the disaster brushes by your home--You will not be part of the flood of folks that were directly hit or had (potentially) avoidable catastrophic damage. And can survive fairly comfortably until basic services are restored.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • sawmill
    sawmill Solar Expert Posts: 93 ✭✭✭

If any are ever in the Greenbrier WV. area one may take a tour of the "Mother" of survival bunkers. Google Greenbrier Bunker for different virtual tours and information. Much to be learned from this bunker of what will be required in the event of a natural or man-made apocalypse.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

This thread has wandered far away from the purpose of the forum.

It is impossible to prepare for every potential disaster of indefinite duration. Let's just say you need to consider what sort of emergency is likely to happen in your area (flood, earthquake, snow storm) and leave it at that.

(Hint: my hand is on the key to the lock.)
  • niel

cariboocoot,
    i am going to ask you not to lock the thread at this time even though it is encompassing more than just the issue of the lights going out for it has morphed into the possible reasons that the lights could go out and how those same things cause other hardships. it is by a thread (pun intended), but i think at this point still ok. i suppose to really open it up it could go into the opinion area or a new thread in that same area. the op, bjb, has some control here with the direction it should go too, but just may need to be relocated.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Yes, Niel; that's exactly what I'm hinting at.
    If we all just stay away from drifting into the politics and blame-placing for why the lights might go out we'll be okay.

Personally I feel the natural disaster aspect is far more likely than anything more sinister. We know those things happen.

But you have to get the data right there too: around Vancouver, earthquake preparedness is a popular way to spend money (especially by gov't) even though there has never been a major quake here, unlike Los Angeles say. Meanwhile the inevitable seasonal flooding occurs (large area near sea-level) with seemingly little concern for planning about it. Flooding isn't as "glamourous" and dramatic as earthquake, even though it's absolutely certain to occur to one degree or another every year.

Go figure. :p
  • BilljustBill
    BilljustBill Solar Expert Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
    This thread has wandered far away from the purpose of the forum.

It is impossible to prepare for every potential disaster of indefinite duration. Let's just say you need to consider what sort of emergency is likely to happen in your area (flood, earthquake, snow storm) and leave it at that.

(Hint: my hand is on the key to the lock.)

Okay, let me see how I can pull this back into the middle lane of traffic, and get it back on the road...;) SAWMILL'S comment referred to "Seeing" an ideal model of a prepared shelter. So, maybe, your thoughts and refinements could "Show" what a basic power system looks like. It gets us to review at our own situation and help others to physically and mentally prepare to help themselves...."For When The Lights Go Out..."

I know the first step in sizing a personal size of solar power is to know your electrical loads. But, a question that might help those who are "Prepping on a Shoestring" is this:

What basic power appliances/lighting do you see a family of two or four need to get through a day of living with shortages around/in a community/county/state disaster? Then, what solar equipment and support items would you collect/buy to run this system?

Most people won't change until they have to. I like the saying I heard about 20 years ago: "People change, not because they see the Light, but because the Feel the Heat." So after an economic or weather related storm hits/continues/passes, and you realize that your routine life isn't there for the foreseeable future, so how and where would you go about sourcing/setting up that basic system?
    Bill
  • niel

i suppose the very first thing anybody would want is lights. the question is just how much are they willing to sacrifice in the way of lighting? you could go with small led or cfl lights (dc or ac) and have just a few on at night for a few hours or if you are like my other half you could light up the neighborhood. big difference between the 2 and that was just in lighting. the batteries and pvs would depend on the loads as usual, but if they deem a refrigerator to run this changes everything and the stakes are even higher now.
  • solar_dave

I think I would want to maintain the fridge and freezer initially, my better half is candle crazy so minimal lighting is always available. I think the Volts will hold them for a while. Given most local sorts of disaster are fairly short lived I thing I would be good there.
  • niel
    solar_dave wrote: »
    I think I would want to maintain the fridge and freezer initially, my better half is candle crazy so minimal lighting is always available. I think the Volts will hold them for a while. Given most local sorts of disaster are fairly short lived I thing I would be good there.

dave,
    i don't think it is initially needed for a refrigerator or freezer as they can easily keep for a few hours as long as one stays out of it for awhile. i view the lights to be more important, for when the power goes out it will take quite some time for your eyes to adjust to the darkness and even then if it's pitch black with no moonlight, headlights, etc. they will never adjust so you will need something even to find the candles and matches as they are rarely right there when it happens. even a candle nut can hurt themselves before getting to it even when they know where it is.