Wiring into 48 volt inverter

How can I wire 4 each, 12 volt batteries in parallel for charging and then wire same batteries in series into a 48 volt inverter? Is this possible? Any references or information would be appreciated.

I will using a Xantrex Prosine 2400W inverter with 10 each, 280W solar panels and a charge controller.

Thanks.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Wiring into 48 volt inverter

It is not possible if you want to charge from a 12 Volt source while at the same time running a 48 Volt load.

Otherwise you extensively re-configure the battery bank between charge and run cycles.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

I am a little confused--Isn't a Prosine a 12 or 24 volt, depending on the exact model?

There are ways around the 12/24/48 volt charging/discharging issues... But they are not usually cheap (use multiple converters) and not always setup to handle the larger currents from big inverters (or chargers, for that matter either).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • sundownr
    sundownr Solar Expert Posts: 25

Sorry about the inverter mistake... I was thinking of another inverter.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Was that the answer to your question--Or is there some reason not to charge a 24 volt bank and run it directly to your inverter?

Depending on the Voc/Vmp/Imp ratings of your panels and charge controller(s)--You may end up with an issue that you need a 3x3 array or a 4x3/4x2 array (series/parallel) and not able to use all of your panels--Or need more to make a matched set for your array.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • sundownr
    sundownr Solar Expert Posts: 25

I had rather run 48 volts to reduce current... but yes, I guess my best bet to get to 48 volts is to increase my modules to 12 and run 3 banks of 4 panels each or maybe use only 9 panels and run a 3 by 3 array at 36 volts.

Can you direct me to a wiring diagram for such a configuration? Also can you recommend a good 48 volt inverter?

Thanks.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    sundownr wrote: »
    I had rather run 48 volts to reduce current... but yes, I guess my best bet to get to 48 volts is to increase my modules to 12 and run 3 banks of 4 panels each or maybe use only 9 panels and run a 3 by 3 array at 36 volts.

Can you direct me to a wiring diagram for such a configuration? Also can you recommend a good 48 volt inverter?

Thanks.

When it comes to array size/configuration you really need to know what your battery bank is, as well as the V max in of the charge controller, the distance from the array to the controller. You don't want to have too few or too many panels.

Likewise when you choose an inverter you need to know how much power you have to supply. Magnum, Outback, and Xantrex all make 48 Volt inverters (with built-in AC chargers for back-up). They tend to be 3.6 kW and up.