Xantrex SW 5548 service manual

Options
Does anyone know where I can lay my hands on a service manual for the Xantrex SW 5548 and GTI? From what I have read its damn near impossible to locate the documentation. Emails and phone calls to Schneider Electric/ Xantrex has fallen on deaf ears. When I called them about the documentation I was on hold for over a half hour and eventually gave up. Ther reason I would like to get these manuals is I want to see how this inverter is wired and discover any short comings the design might have since I had an SW 5548 burn up. I had the inverter repaired to the tune of $2400. Only thing not replaced in the inverter was the case and transformers. So much for the protection circuitry in these inverters. The FET board literally went up in smoke, took out the control board, display board and fried the AC board, wiring and ribbon cables. The inverter was 6 years old.
The metering that I have on the system showed no excess current draw during the period of time the inverter burned. No breakers were tripped either at the inverter or the solar array. It seemed to have quit during the night. When I noticed no power coming out of it is when I noticed smoke coming out of the cabinet. Way too late to shut it down.
Thanks

Comments

• RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Xantrex SW 5548 service manual

Only the certified tech's have access to service manual. They (or their company) paid for their training. Xantrex put the fear of god into them, requiring their signature, that they would loose their gonads if they disclosed the service info CD.

Your best option, short of letting a service site do the work, is to replace the MOSFET's. They are originally Fairchild MOSFET's but I don't believe they make the exact same part anymore. The closest replacements are N-ch 100 volt, 40 amp MOSFET's.

Make sure you don't have a sticking power relay as this is the most common cause of blowing MOSFET's due to inverter relay not releasing from ACin port.

A service site will just replace the whole MOSFET board, if they have one.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Great photo. When you do get it going again, be sure to keep a spare bottle of this on hand:
    lucas_smoke2.JPG
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Mike,
    I like your picture much more than the smoked electronics!
    The Prince of darkness!
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net