Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Troubleshooting Honda 2000i generator

Default Re: Troubleshooting Honda 2000i generator

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisOlson View Post
    Does the manual only say to use 10W-30 for the EU2000? Or does it have that temp chart in there that shows SAE30 for warmer temps?
    --
    Chris

Good question. I'm going out there tomorrow (I think) so can check.

This has not been a good year for being at the cabin; I've only visited three times for a few hours. Not getting anything done.
    1220 Watts of PV, OB MX60, 232 Amp hrs, OB 3524, Honda eu2000.

Ohm's Law: Amps = Volts / Ohms
    Power Formula: Watts = Volts * Amps

Quote Originally Posted by Cariboocoot View Post
    Good question. I'm going out there tomorrow (I think) so can check.
    The reason I ask is because straight-grade oils are not that common for automotive anymore. But very common for diesels. I use Cenex Superlube 518 SAE 30 in all my off-road diesels because they are generally run at wide-open throttle for hours on end. I've never had any problems using it in the older Honda GX engines with the internal oil sensor. But the newer iGX electronic engine has problems with it. The stuff clings to parts so well that it coats the oil sensor and the sensor stops working and shuts the engine down.

So I'm using Phillips Super HDII 15W-40 (which is what I run in all my trucks year 'round) in the Honda iGX on our EM4000SX generator now. No problems with the low oil sensor with the Super HDII.
    --
    Chris

If this wanders off into a discussion of motorcycles it's getting killed. Especially if it turns to "my bike can beat up your bike" junk.
    Sorry not my intent!
    My TED 5000 system
    Sticking it to the power company one watt at a time!
    60 Ningbo Electric 175 watt panels and 12 Canadian Solar 180 watt panels with 2 PVP 5200 Inverters

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisOlson View Post
    Does the manual only say to use 10W-30 for the EU2000? Or does it have that temp chart in there that shows SAE30 for warmer temps?
    --
    Chris
    Manual says to choose the viscosity for the average temperature in your area. If ambient temp is between 10C and 40C, SAE 30 is OK. Best to use either 10W-30 or 5W-30 for colder temperatures. The chart goes down to -15C for those grades. You would likely want to go with something even lighter for temps down around -30C.

For fuel, they just specify using a gasoline with a pump octane of 86 or higher. It also specifies regular unleaded gasoline with no more than 10% ethanol or 5% methanol by volume in the manual. Using gas with higher percentages of methanol or ethanol will void the warranty. It also mentions that you may have starting and/or performance problems, and it may damage metal, rubber and plastic parts of the fuel system.

I'll be running on natural gas soon so the fuel won't be so much of an issue. I'm sure that the output power will be lower, however, plus I'm at about 2000 feet elevation. The manual specifies that for every 1000 foot increase in altitude, engine horsepower will decrease by about 3.5%.
    Off Grid with 12 Sharp 235 watt panels = 2.8 kw, 2 Midnite Classic 150 CC's, 12 Trojan L16HC's @24 volts, Outback VFX 3524, Yamaha EF3000 running on NG.

As for oil type for the EU2000, they specify a high detergent, premium quality 4 stroke engine oil certified to meet or exceed US automobile manufacturers requirements for API Service Classification SJ or later (or equivalent).

http://www.pqiamerica.com/apiserviceclass.htm
    Off Grid with 12 Sharp 235 watt panels = 2.8 kw, 2 Midnite Classic 150 CC's, 12 Trojan L16HC's @24 volts, Outback VFX 3524, Yamaha EF3000 running on NG.

That's the same thing they got in the manual for the iGX engine in our EM-series genset. The thing is, based on warranty problems the race guys have had with engines in the EU2000/EU3000, which are both very popular with racers for trailer power, Honda will warranty the first engine when it goes prematurely (installing the second engine since new). The second engine that fails (actually the third engine in the unit since new) they'll tell you it's not covered due to "abuse" and they'll blame it on the type of oil used - UNLESS you have proof that you have been using their GN4 oil in it.

In the US there is legal issues with a manufacturer requiring a specific brand of oil. They can't do that, and I don't remember what or how that legal issue got put into place. But when it comes to actual warranty coverage they can get around it by a shop tech tearing the engine down, pointing at a failed part and saying "see - wrong oil used in it".
    --
    Chris

The chart in my manual gives recommendations for both fixed and multi-viscosity oils. Nothing lighter than 10W-30, which it is indicated is suitable for -20C to +30C. 10W-40 it shows as being good to over 40C.

It also says "Do not use 2 cycle oil" and "Use high-detergent, premium-quality, 4-stroke engine oil certified to meet or exceed automobile manufacturer's requirements for API Service Classification SG, SF."

Note that "premium-quality" gets them an "instant out" on warranty claims; they can just say anything but their oil doesn't meet that requirement.

Since I've never had a problem with either gen and they are both well out of warranty period I'm not going to worry about it.
    1220 Watts of PV, OB MX60, 232 Amp hrs, OB 3524, Honda eu2000.

Ohm's Law: Amps = Volts / Ohms
    Power Formula: Watts = Volts * Amps

Note that "premium-quality" gets them an "instant out" on warranty claims; they can just say anything but their oil doesn't meet that requirement.
    That's the kicker. It's possible Honda has made some engineering changes to make the engine suitable for the "energy conserving" low-ZDDP oils. But I doubt it. And air-cooled engines with flat-tappet cams NEED that zinc and phos for proper lubrication. It would be nice if Honda would publish an actual spec or test like Caterpillar, Mack, Cummins, Detroit, et al do for diesel oils. But they don't. All you get is a generic "recommendation" that has more holes in it than a sieve.

The basic assumption that Honda makes is that when they sell a piece of equipment with an engine on it that it will get "normal" use. Meaning maybe 50 hours of run time in a season. And it will last long enough so the warranty is not an issue - without having to spend a bunch of R & D money on testing and specs. So along comes somebody that puts the equipment and engine to the test and runs it 500+ hours in a season - probably under severe duty conditions - and then the problems show up. And that's what I've seen with racers. They pull into the pits on Friday night and start that generator up and it runs 24/7 for the whole weekend until Sunday afternoon - usually a unit that's sized too small for the loads. And nobody even looks at it unless it quits and their trailer goes dead. I'd venture that some of them get used that way for the whole season and never even gets the oil changed in it.
    --
    Chris

I think to have it dialed Chris,

Honda is building (good) consumer items, and they perform well for the use of most of thier customers a few hundre hours per year, yer after year and (nearly) everyone is happy. There is a big difference between these little machines and true industrial hardware. And at the price I think it a good trade.

Tony
    Please note, being a moderator does not add any weight to my opinions 300 watts Siemens/BP panels,plus a Sun 90,, making ~400. ~30 amps into Rogue MPT-3024, 450 ah of Trojan T-105, Morningstar ts300 inverter, a Tri-Metric meter.a collection of antique generators, plus 2 Honda eu-1000i's (also a BS2512 IX controller) and assorted other stuff!

Tony, yes that's true. It would just be nice if the small engine industry got together like the motorcycle industry did and outright tell people that the current "energy conserving" oils for cars aren't suitable for air-cooled engines. That's why the JASO 4T standard was developed for oils for motorcycle engines after they started this "energy conserving" nonsense in the automotive industry.

Power equipment with small air-cooled engines is mostly considered throwaway stuff these days. Remember the old days when we used to run a Briggs 5 horse rototiller engine until it knocked and turned the air blue from oil smoke? Then tear it down, hone it .010" over and put a new piston and rings in it and run it for another 10 years? Nobody does that anymore - today you just throw it away and go get another one.
    --
    Chris