Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Troubleshooting Honda 2000i generator

kherfurt Guest

Default Troubleshooting Honda 2000i generator

I took my Honda 2000i generator on an elk hunt to northern Colorado. We encountered fierce winds and driven snow. The generator was outside and working fine when very suddenly it stopped like there was an electrical problem. I had just filled it up with fuel. I replaced the old spark plug which was wet with fuel, but it still would not restart. I dried everything out when I returned home and still could not get it to run. It obviously got pretty wet. Is there a fusible link or something in the bottom of the generator that would cause an electrical problem? Does anyone have any ideas?

Default Re: Troubleshooting Honda 2000i generator

Main problem with these is the main jet getting clogged. The jet is so tiny it is going to happen eventually. Does the genny run on a blast of ether?
    6-180W CETC's., Midnite Solar Classic 200, Exeltech XP-1100E, Victron 24V-350W Inv, Energizer 24V 450aH FLA. Honda EU2000i Tri-Fuel. Victron BMV-602. Meanwell PB-1000-24. In Reserve: 2-180W CETC panels, Rogue MPT-3024, Exeltech XP-1100E

Another possibility is the oil level sensor turned off the ignition...

From another forum I read (candlepowerforums.com) this place came recommended for good pricing on Honda eu2000i motor replacement parts (I don't know anything about the vendor myself).

Boats.net

And, for others that may have missed another post of mine, there is a nice Yahoo forum for eu2000i owners.

eu2000i forum

-Bill
    20x BP 4175B panels (replacement) + Xantrex GT 3.3 inverter for 3kW Grid Tied system + Honda eu2000i Inverter/Generator for emergency backup.

Low oil level, or bad sensor like Bill said.
    Classic 150 and 3x Kyo 210 and 3 kyo 215s. I have miles to go before I sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by BB. View Post
    From another forum I read (candlepowerforums.com) this place came recommended for good pricing on Honda eu2000i motor replacement parts (I don't know anything about the vendor myself).

Boats.net

Boats.net is a good vendor. We've ordered quite a few parts from them for my son's 1976 Yamaha DT175C Enduro restoration project and also for a 1982 XT200J project.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...75C/parts.html

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...00J/parts.html

Decent prices, quick service, no problems.

6. Default Re: Troubleshooting Honda 2000i generator

Quote Originally Posted by kherfurt View Post
    I took my Honda 2000i generator on an elk hunt to northern Colorado. We encountered fierce winds and driven snow. The generator was outside and working fine when very suddenly it stopped like there was an electrical problem. I had just filled it up with fuel. I replaced the old spark plug which was wet with fuel, but it still would not restart. I dried everything out when I returned home and still could not get it to run. It obviously got pretty wet. Is there a fusible link or something in the botto. of the generator that would cause an electrical problem? Does anyone have any ideas?

"I know your post is dated, but I am trying to figure out a solution to a similar problem. I have the exact same generator. While fueling, I spilt gas over the front of the generator. I start it up, everything was fine. Then like an idiot, i pour water over the generator to wash off the gas. It shut off immediately and will not restart. any suggestions? did you find out if there is a sensor that may have shut it down? Help!

I'd like to help you, I blew up one of mine up over the weekend ( EU2000 year and half old). It started blowing out smoke like a Nascar with a blown engine sputtered a few times slapping the piston and locked up. I had engine trouble with this one out of the box, they said it was a bad wrist pin and repaired it. Guess it'll get a new engine now, I can't wait to take it in.

Rick, did you check the oil level?
    Classic 150 and 3x Kyo 210 and 3 kyo 215s. I have miles to go before I sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickeglover View Post
    "I know your post is dated, but I am trying to figure out a solution to a similar problem. I have the exact same generator. While fueling, I spilt gas over the front of the generator. I start it up, everything was fine. Then like an idiot, i pour water over the generator to wash off the gas. It shut off immediately and will not restart. any suggestions? did you find out if there is a sensor that may have shut it down? Help!
    Your problem could be anything, when my 2000 died and wouldn't restart I checked compression, didn't have any. Pulled the engine apart and found a stuck exhaust valve. replaced valve and and honed out the valve guide, reassembled and haven't had any problems since. I now run just a little bit of 2 cycle oil with the gas to try to lube the guides, but even that may not work for the exhaust valves. Good luck with your problem.
    Larry
    Off Grid in Bahia de Los Angeles, Baja Norte , Mexico. 2 stacked Outback VFX2812 inverters, 12 Evergreen 190w PV (2.28 kw), 2 Homemade solar trackers, FM 80 and MX 60 charge controllers, E-meter(same as Link 10) battery monitor system, 6-2v Enersys DDM AGM 125-33 batteries@2000amp hours, Kubota 6.5kw diesel gen. Outback X-240 transformer.

Actually, that's an on-going problem with EU2000/EU3000 generators. If they are run at higher loads without using the "Eco Throttle" they are fine. But continuous operation at lighter loads using the "Eco Throttle" doesn't keep them hot enough, nor do they get proper lubrication to the top end. I've seen so many of them that have blown up at the racetrack (they're really popular for power in race trailers in the pits) that some guys have stopped buying them and gone to Kubota or Yanmar diesels in their race trailers because Honda will only warranty them once before they tell you it's "abuse" and you have pay for the third engine.

Unfortunately, the GX/iGX engine is a splash lubed engine, and it's designed for 3,600 rpm operation. Operate 'em hot and work 'em hard and they last just about forever. Let 'em idle and they got problems in less than 2,000 hours.

Now, the guys that got the diesels got a new problem - runaways. They mount these Kubota "silent diesels" on the frame rails in back of the sleeper and they tend to have a problem with stuck fuel racks. So every once in awhile they get a little excitement on pit road from a runaway generator. LOL!

No matter what you get you're bound to have problems with it, sooner or later.
    --
    Chris
    Last edited by ChrisOlson; July 7th, 2013 at 11:05 PDT.