Thomas's AirX troubles

Thomas
Thomas Solar Expert Posts: 291
Hello, I am new to this forum stuff, My problem..
My air-x had no out put when I finally installed it. The red light would not come on at all.
After trial and error I have all the lights working,
2 blinks for my battery
fast blink for my panels, and breaking.
I cannot get the red light on without the drill!
The unit was out of warranty by the time I got the time to install it so I decided to try to fix it.
I discovered that different combinations of the stator phase wires got various resistances and the red light, at least on the drill.
I have exhausted my options as I see them to finally get the air to spin in the wind AND have the light on IAW the blinking one.
The only way to stop the blades right now is to connect my panels, the stop switch will not stop it.
I do really want to maintain the air x mppt charger. I think all is well with it save the stator wires.
pls. dont ask why the stator wires...I DON'T KNOW. I only know it the variable that has it working at all... thanks
bought new on e-bay, kept in storage for a few years.
Always troubleshoot with adequate sunlight.  Hi Ho Hi Ho
2.3kW [10] Enecsys SMI-240-60 micro inverters

Comments

• waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Brand new Air-X Land 12 years of staorage

Might want to check this thread on the Air X:
    http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?t=10682&page=3
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Brand new Air-X Land 12 years of staorage

Okay I think I've eliminated the redundant posts and sorted them into their proper categories.

Thomas, please try to keep the posts to one on the particular subject and in the right category. For your set-up I'm assuming it's off-grid, so I've put your primary post in that category. This one inquiring about the AirX I've moved to the wind category. If in future you're adding or thinking about a grid-tie system any posts relative to that will go under grid-tie.

If you have any questions about where a post should go or any other matter regarding using the forum please feel free to ask. We're here to help. :D
  • Thomas
    Air-X Regulator

Outside of the open circiut free-wheeling, what happens if you hook up the Air-X regulated dc output mppt charge controller to another solar controller with the regulator turned all the way clockwise, off.

can you combine the currents earlier in the system, off the battery terminals, to a single charge controller rated above the combined solar/wind amps with the air-x regulator turned all the way clockwize, off

• john p
    john p Solar Expert Posts: 814 ✭✭✭
    Re: Air-X Regulator

It wont work successfully.. you need some control and a method of a suitable dump load for high winds or the voltage is just going to go past the controllers safe input and the wind generator is going to be overrevving out of control.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

The other method (which it sounds like you probably already know)... Connect the Alternator to a 3 phase rectifier (diode bridge), then wire those through to the battery bank--with a fuse. Also, you can put a single pole/double throw switch in-line to the battery bank (common in + lead to turbine; NC to +battery bank/fuse; and NO to -lead to turbine--this is the break/turbine OFF position).

Then get a solar charge controller with a Dump/Shunt/Diversion mode (all same thing). When the battery bank hits 14.8 volts or so (for a 12 volt flooded cell bank), the controller will turn on the electric heater to safely dump excess power from the turbine. This is a second charge controller separate from the one connected to the solar array.

Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Thomas

Yeah, but does the allready modulated charge, getting re modulated or double managed wreck anything? Like electronics designed for virgin currents

• Thomas

can you tell me how to do that, hook up the stator to another rectifier? I can identify thru ohm the 3 circuits out of 6 outputs of 12 wires in the air x, and pos/neg leads. I am stuck next...

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

I answered in another thread:

http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?p=101996#post101996

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Thomas

Hi, I found the answer or at least my next attempt
    http://www.windstuffnow.com/main/alt_from_scratch.htm
    thanks signing of of forum for a while....

• Thomas
    No answer

I thaught I found the answer to reconnecting the stator wires, I did not. More simplified representations. Is there any pictures of that anywhere? The instructions I found mentioning it in Circuit replacement are apparently incorrect, I repeated them and the generator did not generate.Stated an order of 2-3-1 and a wire bundle, that did not work.

• solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: No answer

Please show us your referenced documentation.
  • Thomas

I cannot figure out how to send the pdf refernce, do you have an e-mail adress?

• solar_dave
    Thomas wrote: »
    I cannot figure out how to send the pdf refernce, do you have an e-mail adress?

Use the managing attachments at the lower part of the posting window. It should accept pdf OK.
  • Thomas

exeeds forum limit, its loaded and ready to go to an email adress

• solar_dave
    Thomas wrote: »
    exeeds forum limit, its loaded and ready to go to an email adress

I am probably not the right guy to advise you, there are several more qualified than me. Perhaps they will PM you with an e-mail address.
  • Thomas

No problem thanks anyway, literalyy dirrent sites different arrangements, then there is the sites that say it doesn't matter. Continueing on with this, again thanks for the consideration.

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Thomas's AirX troubles

Thomas;
    I have merged all of your threads regarding the problems with your AirX in to one.
    Please do not start a new thread with each step in your hunt for a solution.
  • Thomas
    Re: Thomas's AirX troubles

This is Thomas, thanks, I am going to give this hunt a little rest again for a while, I broke some new ground on google search re; 3 phase, I will be checking if any answers are posted.

• Thomas
    Air-x land circuit replacement link

o77_rev_c_air_x_circuit_kit_instructions Adobe pdf
    sw windpower home page
    air support download links