Great little fan, with big output

Photowhit
Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
I lived with out A/C for several year on solar and found the O2 cool fan. to really move a lot of air for a small fan. I can't recall the exact wattage used, I think it ran on a 12v 600ma wall wart, drawing 14 watts on high and 12 watts on low.

WallyWorld/WalMart use to sell them (I haven't checked lately) so you could check them out there if you have one locally.

I see the reviews aren't the greatest at Amazon, but I ran one dang near night and day for a summer and now have 3, all still work fine. They have several screws to take out to get at the fan blades to clean, and the wall wart gets pretty warm, but other than that I have no complaints.
Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
- Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.

Comments

• rschoolf
    rschoolf Registered Users Posts: 8
    Re: Great little fan, with big output

Thanks, man, for the mention of this fan.

I think that anything that we can do to use our 12v efficiently really is worth pursuing.
  • RWB
    RWB Solar Expert Posts: 168 ✭✭✭✭✭

I also have this fan and it does pull the 600 ma at 12v and I would run the fan at 16v actually and it would really pump out some air LOL I think it wore out the motor because it now makes a funky noise while running but I will buy another one.
  • Photowhit

I forgot a couple things about this,

It has a narrow profile which I like, easiely fits on my window sill (6" walls) but I think it would fit easily on a standard sill. Some don't like this as w/o batteries it is a bit tippsy.

Also I'm in a fringe TV reception area and it apears to produce some electronic 'noise' as only the closest station is not disturbed (20+ hilly miles from the closest)
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • notsobright
    notsobright Solar Expert Posts: 247 ✭✭

I use one of these:

http://www.fantasticvent.com/products/endless_breeze/endless_breeze.html

it has three speeds.
  • solorone
    solorone Solar Expert Posts: 257 ✭✭✭

Let me add this. Look up Rexflo fans, 250 and 300 MM 12v at .500 ma. Not sure of the CFMs, about 150 maybe. We have 3, use them to pump air over night. They are round made for CPU cooling so I built a low radius cradle for them to sit in. Wife uses one in her sewing room. VERY QUITE, you have to look to see if they are on.
  • notsobright
    solorone wrote: »
    Let me add this. Look up Rexflo fans, 250 and 300 MM 12v at .500 ma. Not sure of the CFMs, about 150 maybe. We have 3, use them to pump air over night. They are round made for CPU cooling so I built a low radius cradle for them to sit in. Wife uses one in her sewing room. VERY QUITE, you have to look to see if they are on.

those are pretty nifty with the PVM mode but what triggers the PVM mode. it has a fourth wire but what do you connect it to if you are not using it in a computer?

thanks
  • Photowhit

From the Site;

"Endless Breeze in a *110 volt AC, 5 AMP converter"

I hope that's 5 amp at 12 volt....
  • notsobright

thats optional AC adaptor

"or you can plug in your Endless Breeze in a *110 volt AC, 5 AMP converter. Maximum current draw is three amps."

the blades on this fan seem kinda heavy compared to most because they are joined in the center like most but also with a band arround the outside.

I guess it takes slightly more to power to start them spinning but it probably has a flywheel effect.

Im pretty happy with mine. it has a very tough cage or housing which is perfect for me since I move it arround alot.

the manufacturer is well known in the RV comunity for above and beyond standard customer service. Ive read many posts on other fowums where they have replaced parts out of warranty and with no shipping charges on top of that.

Im currently looking for a 12v muffin fan that has two or three speeds and a mounts with 4" bolt centers.
  • solorone
    solorone Solar Expert Posts: 257 ✭✭✭
    those are pretty nifty with the PVM mode but what triggers the PVM mode. it has a fourth wire but what do you connect it to if you are not using it in a computer?

thanks

I just cut the connector off and plug it in, see I have been of grid for a looooong time, back then the homes were wired of 12V. I did not think about that when I posted the fan. I guess no one puts in 12V receptacles. :D I maintain a separate Trace 812 for the outlets and older lights.

I have a bunch of muffins, I have, in the past found, fairly efficient muffins with a high CFM, it is always a balance between CFMs and the noise they make. The fan I listed is almost silent.

I have never seen a multi speed, they may make them, but since they usually operate of a heat switch, it would not make much sense.
  • dwh
    dwh Solar Expert Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭
    solorone wrote: »
    I have never seen a multi speed, they may make them, but since they usually operate of a heat switch, it would not make much sense.

I put one in the overhead vent in my camper:

http://www.frys.com/product/4763929?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

It has a tiny little 3 position switch to select the speed. On low it's very quiet, on high it's noticeably louder - but hell I'm 20% deef anyway from a life filled with rock'n'roll and airplanes (historically a bad mix, I know) so I don't even notice it.
  • notsobright
    dwh wrote: »
    I put one in the overhead vent in my camper:

http://www.frys.com/product/4763929?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

It has a tiny little 3 position switch to select the speed. On low it's very quiet, on high it's noticeably louder - but hell I'm 20% deef anyway from a life filled with rock'n'roll and airplanes (historically a bad mix, I know) so I don't even notice it.

can you post more info on that? fry's wont let me in on this computer. says server error but this machine has a homemade browser with no strings and I get that alot with it.

what manufacturer and mabey mnf. part#

thats exactly what Im looking for it for! I have one in my RV and trailer but they are single speed. Im still looking into some type of thermostat to control them also but an adjustable speed would be nice too.

I cant still hear fine but I sure wish the constant ringing would go away. too many racing engines in my case.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

From the website (around $13-$15):
    Antec TriCool 120mm Fan
    [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Antec:[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]FRYS.com #: 4763929[/FONT]
    Maybe this link will work for you:

http://www.frys.com/product/4763929

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • notsobright
    BB. wrote: »
    From the website (around $13-$15):

Maybe this link will work for you:

http://www.frys.com/product/4763929

-Bill

thanks BB

nope. seems to be a browser compatibility issue, I get that sometimes on this machine but with the extra details you added I found it at newegg $12.00 includes shipping!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835209005
  • dwh

That's a good price, I paid 12.99+tax at Fry's - and that was on sale.
  • retrodog
    retrodog Solar Expert Posts: 53 ✭✭

I have one of those as well. Expensive, but seems to work very well.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

so is the Endless Breeze fan a DC fan, or AC ? They speak of UL certified, does it come with the 120V 5A adapter ?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• dwh
    mike90045 wrote: »
    so is the Endless Breeze fan a DC fan, or AC ? They speak of UL certified, does it come with the 120V 5A adapter ?

12v DC, but you can also buy a wall wart that has a cigarette lighter receptacle in it.

• retrodog
    retrodog Solar Expert Posts: 53 ✭✭
    mike90045 wrote: »
    dwh wrote: »
    12v DC, but you can also buy a wall wart that has a cigarette lighter receptacle in it.

Yep, all it came with is a cigarette lighter plug on the end of the cable. I've been running it off of a Optima YEL34 battery. I have other high output ac powered fans so I never thought about getting an ac converter for it. But for traveling, that might be a nice option. That is one big-ass wall-wart supply. I'm thinking that's no longer a wart. I'd get a Dr. to take a look at that thing. :p