Direct Power via DC/DC Stabilizer?

Amishdude
Amishdude Solar Expert Posts: 29
I have two Kyocera 12V panels wired in parallel. Is it possible for me to power a small device ( <120W ) DIRECTLY from the panels on a sunny day if I employ this DC/DC "Stabilizer"? :confused:

C/DC Stabilizer I/P 8-40V Regulate to 12V – 10A 120W

I'm still trying to find a way to use the panels on a small scale if my batteries fail and I cannot obtain replacements.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Direct Power via DC/DC Stabilizer?

Yes, it is possible (don't know about that supply)--but, in theory, with the correct input voltage/power ratings, should work OK. Surge current is usually a problem (solar panels do not do surge current--perhaps a large electrolytic capacitor may help with smaller surges).

The bigger issue is what are your planned loads? Will they tolerate being "browned out" at times (bird, cloud, weather, etc.)?

For larger systems, you can get 15-20 year life out of industrial batteries (forklift/traction). But--you do have to add distilled/filtered rainwater to keep them topped off...

If you cannot get batteries after a few months/year--what can you power that will run 5+ years without maintenance/chances of failure (some DC water/well pumps are a possibility--made to operate from solar panels only, no batteries).

-Bill

PS: Should add that planning electronics themselves lasting more than 10 years is probably a bit of stretch too (spares, etc.).
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Amishdude
    Amishdude Solar Expert Posts: 29

Thanks BB for taking some time to contemplate this odd request. I have a basic education in electronics (from long ago) and just needed to see if this concept was as viable as I thought. I have some small <700ma electronics that I'd like to keep running when we're off-grid. I wish I could find a domestic source for the "stabilizer" though.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

even if that works, what are you going to do about the sun going in and out of clouds dropping the output or rainy day? most times it should output 700ma though if at good insolation time of day. a battery buffers that to allow continuous use.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

Buy a cheap Morningstar charge controller, and a single battery. Much simpler, and more reliable note partial cloud situation, and probaby cheaper net net.

T
  • RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭

The DC-DC converter may just oscillate when connected to a current source (PV panel). Putting some large capacitors across panel output may help but not a reliable setup to directly power anything from a PV panel.