240V "stacked" eu2000i generator???

balee123
balee123 Solar Expert Posts: 86 ✭✭
Hello all. First timer here. Been lurking around the forum for quite a while now. Learned a lot...........and for me that always leads to more questions, in a good way;) ....... Also I appreciate all your collective knowledge sharing.......REALLY APPRECICATE IT!

Been thinking about getting an eu2000i for emergency backup. While surfing the internet, I ran across a few links describing the "stacking" of two eu2000i to give 240V.

1) Based on your collective experience and knowledge, does this seem possible? Are these links legit?

2) Does anyone have experience with this type of set up?

3) Hypothetical situtation:

- electric car with built in 6.6kW charger

- car requires 240V charging

- 240V eu2000i 13.3A generator setup

Will generators be able to charge this vehicle at 13.3A? or will the 6.6kW charger try and draw the full 27.5A and shut the generator(s) down?

Here are the links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxHAkOELXlI

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78874

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/629233_Honda_EU2000i_240V.html

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: 240V "stacked" eu2000i generator???

Welcome to the forum.

Short form: the EU200i's do not stack in series for 240 VAC.
    However, the do stack in parallel to double the capacity ( 3200 Watts) and should be able to power an autotransformer to produce 240 VAC output. I've not tried it but it should work.

You would not have enough generator power to feed a 6.6kW charger. It will try to pull its full current and cause the gens to fault and shut down.

Since there would be no fuel saving to running two small generators flat out to try and power that much demand, you'd be better off buying a bigger gen if that is the main purpose of it.
  • balee123
    balee123 Solar Expert Posts: 86 ✭✭

Thanks for the extremely quick response. I thought that was probably the case. If it were possible, the reason for the smaller generators was the ease of handling and portability for toting around in the electric vehicle if a long trip (outside battery range) was necessary.
  • Cariboocoot

Therein lies the advantage of the Chevy Volt. ;)
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Your can read about the prototype Rav Long Ranger trailer, for the Toyota Rav4 electric vehicle, that was purchased and restored by a private owner.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Fullpower
    Fullpower Solar Expert Posts: 69 ✭✭
    240V "stacked" eu2000i generator???

Portable gasoline powered generator to charge batteries on electric automobile.
    I foresee some loss of efficiency with this setup.
    Very high up on the irony scale however.
  • techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭
    Fullpower wrote: »
    Very high up on the irony scale however.

Not really. As a mobile range-extender for occasional long trips, or at a weekend off-grid cabin so you can get home it makes sense. In other words, in a part-time capacity under special conditions. No different than the Volt when it fires up its engine/generator on a long trip. Used full-time it doesn't make sense, there are more efficient options. Again, like the Volt, where using the engine/generator full-time is less efficient than using a Prius or building a solar system for charging.
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • DarkStar
    DarkStar Registered Users Posts: 12 ✭✭
    balee123 wrote:
    3) Hypothetical situtation:

- electric car with built in 6.6kW charger

- car requires 240V charging

- 240V eu2000i 13.3A generator setup

Will generators be able to charge this vehicle at 13.3A? or will the 6.6kW charger try and draw the full 27.5A and shut the generator(s) down?
    Remember, voltage multiplied by amperage equals wattage. So 240 * 13.3 = 3,192 watts (or 3.192 kW). So the direct answer to your question is no.

You would need a 240 volt with at least a 27.5 amp capability to support a 6.6 kW charger (most charging stations are supplied from a 30 amp circuit).
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭

There are several L2 chargers out there that range from 15 amps to 40 amps. For instance the SPX Volt charger is a 3.3Kw charger and operates fine on a 15 amp circuit.
  • Cariboocoot
    solar_dave wrote: »
    There are several L2 chargers out there that range from 15 amps to 40 amps. For instance the SPX Volt charger is a 3.3Kw charger and operates fine on a 15 amp circuit.

A little clarification: that's a 15 Amp 240 VAC circuit (3300 Watts / 15 Amps = 220 Volts).
    It would still overwhelm two EU2000i's at max power, but if you didn't need max power it might just work. Remember that the gen's 1600 Watt output is under "perfect" conditions. Not, for example, at 3200 feet elevation. Trust me; I know. :roll: