Combined single phase and 3 phase.

tonygcan
tonygcan Solar Expert Posts: 91 ✭✭✭✭
Hi,

Is it possible to combine a single phase inverter and a 3 phase inverter in a set of battery banks? That would mean that I would have single phase output and 3 phase output coming out of my battery bank that is being charged by 1 set of solar panels.

Thanks.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Combined single phase and 3 phase.

I believe it is possible... In theory, the Schneider website says the (Xantrex) XW system can do three phase (of course that will be 3x XW hybrid inverters--so it will not be cheap or small--4 to 6 kW per phase).

You probably need to contact Schneider directly if you have that application.

Some of the European companies may offer poly phase systems too (try SMA).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • stephendv
    stephendv Solar Expert Posts: 1,571 ✭✭
    Re: Combined single phase and 3 phase.

All you need is 3 x single phase inverters that support being combined into a 3 phase system. Outback, SMA, Xantrex, Victron and Studer all support this type of configuration. Your 3 phases devices would then be connected to all 3 phases, and your single phase devices would just be connected to one of the phases - or spread out across the 3 single phases. Check with the manufacturer how they handle sleep modes, I believe that some of them will let the inverters sleep if there is no power draw on some of the phases.