Wire size, I think I've got it

scottreb
scottreb Registered Users Posts: 7 ✭✭
Ok so Im going to have one 150 watt panel on my camper roof. 10 ga to a box. Box to CC is #6. CC to batteries #4. Want to make sure I can add a panel later as well. Couple questions left are...
1-What size battery to battery?? They are 2 6 volt Lifeline 220 Ah. 2/0 or is that overkill...
2-What size to inverter/charger? It will be either a Magnum MM612/1512, still debating on what I need.
Also re: magnum. Do I need a remote?? Advantages??

Thanks alot guys.

Comments

• RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Wire size, I think I've got it

2/0 would be minimum for a 12v 1500 watt inverter. 4/0 if wire length from battery to inverter is greater then 10'. At max load of 1500 watts there would be 0.2 vdc drop on an inverter 10 feet away with 2/0 wire.
  • scottreb
    scottreb Registered Users Posts: 7 ✭✭

So 2/0 for battery to battery and batt to inverter?
    Scott
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

that gauge will probably do you. as to the remote on the magnum go with one like the generator start as it allows tailoring the charge for agms which you have and it can do search mode for power up with as little as 5w and can be adjusted. you will like it.
    http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/wind-sun/ME-RCspecs.pdf
  • arghhh
    arghhh Registered Users Posts: 18
    scottreb wrote: »
    So 2/0 for battery to battery and batt to inverter?
    Scott

The series interconnect between the two batteries needs to be sized to your load as the full current will flow through it.

I have great pictures of what happens to 1/0 after 5 minutes at a 500amp load. It was 1/0 battery interconnects and 500mcm to the load and the 1/0 was the weak link.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    arghhh wrote: »
    The series interconnect between the two batteries needs to be sized to your load as the full current will flow through it.

I have great pictures of what happens to 1/0 after 5 minutes at a 500amp load. It was 1/0 battery interconnects and 500mcm to the load and the 1/0 was the weak link.

Post them, or their links - we LOVE photos
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    mike90045 wrote: »
    Post them, or their links - we LOVE photos
    Yeah, especially stuff that's blown up, burned, and melted. ;^)