The many ways my hybrid system paid for its self.

jeffkruse
jeffkruse Solar Expert Posts: 205 ✭✭✭
This is how I “made” money with my hybrid solar system.

First, I received a 75% tax credit. What a deal and I only wish I had made a bigger system but we didn’t know if we would get 75% or 50% until we actually got the tax credits 6 months later. So the net cost to me was less than $5K.

But even with a 75% tax credit that is still not enough to make economic sense for a hybrid system!!! This could be a break even situation at best with the $600 a year savings going to new batteries every 4-5 years.

Second, I just sold my house and the system added almost $20K to the appraisal.

Third, All the “buyers” for my house really wanted the solar system. We believe the house was more desirable because of it. We had many (greater than 3) “buyers” but that’s another story. The system did cause one problem however, one appraiser didn’t know how to deal with the system so they refused to put any price down for it. That appraisal came out low so we didn’t go with that “buyer”.

Fourth, I actually saved about $1200 on electricity.

Fifth, The priceless independence of having power when the rest of the neighborhood doesn’t. 8)

For my next house everything is different and I just might go with a generator.:cry:

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: The many ways my hybrid system paid for its self.

a profit is a rare thing for sure. funny, as solar guppy felt his solar would hinder the sale of his home rather than make it more appealing. i guess it depends on the buyers and that is a hard thing to gauge. i suppose now you will have to change your signature line. i wonder how many out there want to put a mister yuk sticker on you now for going non-solar?:confused::p
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: The many ways my hybrid system paid for its self.

Solar is a big advantage in PHX but it has a smaller group of buyer appeal.