Single battery or parallel batteries for longevity

gqroot
gqroot Registered Users Posts: 22
Would having a single 12v battery with 110AH be better or two 55AH 12v battery in parallel? Which one setup would be better?

I am trying to achieve a high AH at the same time the life of the battery - hoping to be at least 10 years.

I am looking into the Sun Xtender line - any pros/cons with this brand?

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Single battery or parallel batteries for longevity

For that example there is a slight advantage to the single battery. Fewer connections to worry about, no equal current concerns. In general, the fewer batteries you have to supply the power required the better.

To achieve the longest possible life, reduce the depth of discharge. The number of cycles and the depth of them as well as proper recharging are the main factors for how long a battery will last.

Nothing at all wrong with Concorde Sun-Xtender batteries. Keep in mind that AGM's are more expensive per Amp hour than comparable FLA's, you can't check the SG with a hydrometer (should use a battery monitor if SOC is critical), and if you screw up the charging they are unforgiving; pop the valve and they're done.
  • gqroot

Thanks.

You made a lot of sense on the AGM. I saw the surrettes brand and they are way over my budget so I might look into Trojan FLA.

I plan to put the new battery near my gas water heater and AC in the garage - that shouldn't be a problem right?
  • Cariboocoot

Also consider the Crown battery line if it's available near you. Perfectly good batteries and sometimes less expensive than Trojan.

Hmm. Battery off-gasing hydrogen and oxygen next to an open methane gas flame. No, that doesn't sound like a good idea. How about building it a little battery box with some controlled venting so you know where the gasses are going?
  • gqroot

I called a local battery shop and they only had Trojan and a Centennial brand. He was trying to sell me a Centennial battery for $120 with 150AH - 2yr warranty. I just haven't heard of that brand before and know if it's any good.

I was quoted the Trojan T1275 for $234 w/2yr warranty.

The good thing is that it's local and I don't have to pay for shipping.
  • Cariboocoot

I've never heard of Centennial Batteries either, but that doesn't mean they aren't any good.
    Perhaps someone else on the forum has had experience with them?
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

It is probably a private lable brand, built by someone else. Do a search and see who actully makes it.

Icarus

PS. maybe not: http://www.centennialbatteries.com/aboutus.html
  • gqroot

The part number is similar to Trojan.

Trojan part # T-1275
    Centennial part # GC1275P

Also I saw that http://www.scoop0901.net/AWAKE/FAQ/Battery/batbrand.htm

states Trojan is the manf.
  • Cariboocoot

Keep in mind that when one company makes good for another it's not always just a difference in the label. Often they are made to the retailer's specs. All too often the most important one of those is "wide profit margin, please". So the plates may be thinner, the cases may be thinner, the acid more dilute ... you just don't know what they've changed to suit the vendor. That also doesn't mean they are not as good as the original manufacturer's product. Just that you have to look into as many details as possible. Some here have had good luck with low-priced golf cart batteries from warehouse stores; made by someone else, maybe not top notch, but certainly value for the money. Trying to figure the price/performance ratio on batteries is something that will give you a really bad headache. :roll:

P.S.: I thought that link contained enough info of value that I've stuck it in the FAQ section. Thanks!
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

Reading 'Coot's other thread, "who makes your battery" shows that Centenial is made by Trojan. Question is, are they just in different clothes,, or are they diffent?

Tony