Solar Driveway Lights

2»

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Solar Driveway Lights
    mrnoob wrote: »
    Why might I be disappointed with the charge controller? Quality? Performance? Lifespan?

Thanks, coot!

So far these inexpensive charge controllers aren't proving to be particularly high quality. Some of them are out-right scams (claiming MPPT when they're definitely not). Some of the "name brand" controllers have rather irritating quirks; I don't expect the knock-off versions to be better.
  • mrnoob
    mrnoob Registered Users Posts: 13
    BB. wrote: »
    You have to check the power requirements of the inverter vs the load output of the charge controller (typically anything over 10 amps is less common).

For a nice TSW 12 volt 300 watt inverter (good for emergency backup power for radio, tv, computer), this one also has a low voltage input switch that you can connect to any 12 volt capable timer (like 'coot's first link).

That inverter also has a "low power search mode" -- Basically turns on for a few cycles every second or two -- looking for >6 watts of 120 VAC load. When a load is found, the inverter turns on 100%.

-Bill

I think I may buy this inverter. http://www.solar-electric.com/sa300wa12vos.html It offers low idle power draw of less than 0.5 Amps.
  • mrnoob
    mrnoob Registered Users Posts: 13

Thanks guys for all your help!

So here is my setup:
    - 85 Watt Solar Panel Monocrystalline 12V (May add another 85 watt panel later)
    - HQRP 10 Amp Solar Controller w/ timer
    - UPG UB12750 Group 24 - AGM Battery - Sealed Lead Acid - 12 Volt - 75 Ah Capacity - I4 Terminal
    - Samlex PST- 30S -12A 300 Watt DC-AC Pure Sine Wave Inverter - 12V

My driveway solar project has turned out to be more expensive than I had originally imagined, but worth the fun and learning. Also, I found a pretty nice calculator: http://www.batterystuff.com/solar-calculator.html