Water pressure pump

Options
plongson
plongson Solar Expert Posts: 115 ✭✭
Moving on from other questions I have...

Water supply pump:
If this system is 48vdc and battery bank is 805 Ah, which pump type would be best selected??

Background:
1000gal supply tank, supply pump (to be determined) into a accumulator pressure tank (those blue pressure tanks), to supply the house pressure...

48vdc Grundfos? Or is there a better and cheaper DC choice
some 115 or 240vac pump?

Inverter is planned a xantrex XW 4548

THANKS!!

Paul
3500w solar, 800AH with Rolls Surrette, Magnum inverter, Midnite charge controller, Kubota 21kW diesel genset...private well...and just recently connected to city power for additional options...nice to have options 

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Water pressure pump

If all you need to do is pressurize the system then all you need is a little Shurflo pump like this:
    http://www.solar-electric.com/2088-594-154.html
    They don't make a 48 VDC one, but it is available in 12 VDC and 24 VDC as well as the 115 VAC linked to.
  • bsolar
    bsolar Solar Expert Posts: 103 ✭✭✭
    Options

i agree, a little 12vdc rv pump would work for regular house duty if demand isnt high and you wouldnt need to pressurize a holding tank. I used this one:
    http://www.amazon.com/SHURflo-4008-101-E65-Revolution-Water-Pump/dp/B002XM5G70/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
    .. and it supplies plenty of water for dishes, toilet, shower at a very low draw and on demand only - no pressure tank needed. Turn the faucet off the pump turns off.

.. for a larger draw like watering a garden or if multiple showers and alot of water will be used at one time, probably a 1/2 horsepower 120v pump to pressurize a regular pressure tank with a pressure switch and check valve, like on a well system, would work better and keep up better .. i have both types of pumps, switched, so i can choose which to use, generally the larger 120v pump when theres sun for larger draws and then on a very minimal draw 12v pump at night ..
  • monoloco
    monoloco Solar Expert Posts: 103 ✭✭
    Options

Look in to a variable speed diaphragm pump, Jabsco and Shurflo both make them. The advantage is when you barely crack open a faucet they don't cycle on and off causing a pulsation in the water flow.
  • rplarry
    rplarry Solar Expert Posts: 203 ✭✭
    Options

In my off grid house in Baja, an RV shurflo pump works just fine for my wife and I. Your needs may be greater. Lots of choices.
    Larry
  • arkieoscar
    arkieoscar Solar Expert Posts: 101 ✭✭
    Options

I believe in the K.I.S.S principle. A half horse centrifugal pump at 240 VAC (if you use the XW) will do fine. Cheaper, parts available and simple to repair or replace. Several of my customers use them when they don't have need to lift water from a deep well. The fact that it's not as efficient as some others should not make enough difference to your system to justify the expensive options unless you're pumping a whole lot of water every day.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

How's that again?

Price of 115 VAC Shurflo pump: $150
    Price of 120/240 VAC centrifugal pump: $280

The Shurflo uses less than 1 Amp as opposed to the 1/2 HP's 6 Amps (on 120 VAC - just tested one with the meter to be sure).

Since the application here is only pressurizing a system from an above-ground storage tank there is no need to spend more money on a higher-power pump. The only time that would be a better choice is if there were real concerns with obtaining replacement parts. You can almost buy two Shurflos for what one centrifugal costs.
  • plongson
    plongson Solar Expert Posts: 115 ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for the reply's all, I'm still around and reading them (mostly from my phone) 'cause I've been pretty busy...

Paul
    3500w solar, 800AH with Rolls Surrette, Magnum inverter, Midnite charge controller, Kubota 21kW diesel genset...private well...and just recently connected to city power for additional options...nice to have options