Sanyo Mini-Split RF Noise?

Vic
Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
For any Ham Ridio types, or perhaps Broadcast Band DXers:

Have any of you folks, using the Sayno brand Mini Splits noticed ANY RF noises generated by the system?

Am primarily interested in the effects on HF reception on 160 through 15 Meters. Altho, BC band effects would also be of interest.

These systems have inverter driven motors. Energy efficient washing machines also have some multi-phase motors which cause HORRIBLE RFI for a several hundred foot radius (depends on many factors), so it is not out of the question that the mini-splits could do something similar.

Am considering Sanyos as an A/C solution here, and would like to know more about this prior to purchase.
Thanks, Vic
Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.

Comments

• PhilS
    PhilS Solar Expert Posts: 370 ✭✭✭
    Re: Sanyo Mini-Split RF Noise?

If you have a portable way to measure the interference, you can measure mine. Northern California is still pretty big so you may or may not be close.

Phil
  • Vic

Hi PhilS,

Thank you very much for the offer. Please let me ponder this. I could create a portable measurment setup. May ask a few questions in a few days.
    Thanks, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Vic

Bump ... Just to see if ANYONE has any experience. Thanks, Vic
  • PhilS

If there's a way I could test this without having a ham setup or a dedicated meter, just tell me how. Set an AM radio to a specific frequency and hold it near the compressor and then the air handler?

Phil
  • Vic

Hi PhilS,

Thanks again.

YES, If you had a portable AM radio, with the normal built-in antenna (which most portables have), you could just hold the radio near the wiring and change the orientation of the radio, that should reveal a lot.

If the wiring to the Sanyo is in metal conduit, this would probably reduce the noises quite a bit.

The RFI would sound like a BUZZZZzzzzzzz in AM mode, when the compressor is running.

I did ask this question on a Hammie radio Forum, and so far no replies. So either not many hams have Sanyo Minis or perhaps it is not a big deal.

Will check back later. Thanks Phil for taking the time, when you hve the chance.
    Vic
  • PhilS

I'll give it a shot Vic and post back.

Phil
  • PhilS

Hey Vic,

I found an AM radio (harder than it should be, it's actually a radio with FM, "MW", and a bunch of shortwave bands. I finally figured out, looking at the frequencies, that "MW" is "AM".

Tuning to an AM station, I held the radio near the indoor air handler... nothing different.

Holding it near the outside compressor assembly, the radio would start picking up a "whine" when it was within 2 feet of the compressor location.

I can do further tests if it would help.

Phil
  • Vic

Hi phil,

Thanks for the test.

Well the Compressor is doing almost all of the work.

For now, this is encouraging. There is still one or two other places to tr to find some Ham who uses the Sanyo.

The stronger the AM station that you were monitoring, the less effect any noise would have on your receiver.

For now, this is enough info. Thank you very much, Phil for taking the time to run this test.

Keep Cool, Vic