48volt wind turbine

orlan7s
orlan7s Registered Users Posts: 9
hi I'm new on here and i want to say hi to every one...i have a question i just got a wind turbine it looks identical to the wind max. i got it from china. and it came with out a charge controller. and its a 48 volt 1000kw the problem I'm having is i have a 24 volt system its 8 evergreen 195w panels an outback 3524 GVFX and a flexmax 80 now i was told that by getting a 48 volt model it would start producing power allot faster in low winds. but for some reason this turbine is not producing any power. i ran some test when i took it down and connected a volt mete and a amp meter and did see good results.just by turning by hand it showd over 30 volts and 10 amps with one turn. also connected a 12 volt light bulb and blew one so that's telling me that it is working. but when i have it up in winds of 15 to 20 mph i see nothing so does this turbine have to detect a 48 volt source? or do i just need a charge controller.the specs on the turbine are here in this link. where i got it from. http://anern.en.alibaba.com/product/389871193-209731023/Home_wind_solar_power_system.html if any body has any ideas on this i would really appreciated as it has a couple of us stumped....:confused: thank you.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: 48volt wind turbine

Welcome to the forum.

Some "standard" info that might start filtering out the problem:

Even if a wind turbine starts to move in low wind speeds, there really isn't much power in low wind speeds so don't expect any significant output. This sort of claim is manufacturer's hype.

All wind turbines need a controller that has a dump load; they should not be allowed to "spin free" once the batteries are charged.

Now to the problem. On the test bench it produces power, but out in the wind it doesn't. Ask yourself: "What is different about these two scenarios?" If you're trying to feed a battery bank that is already charged, current will be very low (perhaps nothing) from the turbine. If you're testing it against "meters only" it may be that it needs Voltage available to excite the rotor windings (I can't tell from the link if it's a PMA or not - a typically technically vague, badly translated site). Your "turn by hand" test sounds as though it is a PMA - capable of producing Voltage without an exciter source.

And then there's the standard "check the wiring" caution. Bad slip ring? Something is changing between "spin by hand" and "turning in the wind" other than just putting the thing up a tower.
  • snuffy
    snuffy Solar Expert Posts: 72 ✭✭✭✭
    orlan7s wrote: »
    but when i have it up in winds of 15 to 20 mph i see nothing so does this turbine have to detect a 48 volt source? or do i just need a charge controller.

What is the load it's connected to? Batteries? How did you measure the output of the generator ? Is the output of the generator rectified DC? Is the polarity correctly hooked up to the load if it is DC ?
  • halfcrazy
    halfcrazy Solar Expert Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

when you hook a 48vdc turbine to a 24 volt battery you effectively brake the turbine. A 48 volt turbine may have a cut in of say 100rpm's and 48vdc so when you hook that same turbine to a 24 volt battery it hits 24vdc at 50 rpm's thus stalling it and never letting it spin up.

The only real solutions I can think of is a 48vdc battery, Get a 48vdc stator or run the turbine through a wind mppt controller like the MidNite Solar Classic.
  • orlan7s
    snuffy wrote: »
    What is the load it's connected to? Batteries? How did you measure the output of the generator ? Is the output of the generator rectified DC? Is the polarity correctly hooked up to the load if it is DC ?

The load is 4-US 2200 6 volt battteries in series 24volt i did the bench test on bothe sides AC and rectified DC the only diference is that this turbine spins counter clock wise. but that should not matter since its a PMA.i think? when i test on the dc side with out the rectifier being connected to any sorce on the dc side. i can see the votage go up quickly every thing looks good when its down. when i have it up in winsds of 20mph i get nothing.the last turbine i had worked just fine but then again it was a 24volt. by the way i have a system if you would like i can give you the information and you can log on and view 4 of my cameras live view. one is on the turbine the other is on the weather station and the other is on the meters V/A and i wanted to say thank you for the reply.heres a link where it shows the live view. http://youtu.be/aa1uyfhjgHY
  • orlan7s
    halfcrazy wrote: »
    when you hook a 48vdc turbine to a 24 volt battery you effectively brake the turbine. A 48 volt turbine may have a cut in of say 100rpm's and 48vdc so when you hook that same turbine to a 24 volt battery it hits 24vdc at 50 rpm's thus stalling it and never letting it spin up.

The only real solutions I can think of is a 48vdc battery, Get a 48vdc stator or run the turbine through a wind mppt controller like the MidNite Solar Classic.

thanks i was not aware there was a MPPT controler for turbine. now you got me scared when you say brake it i hope you mean that it wont let it work up to that 48voltt.not literly that i broke it right? but if you take a look at this video and ive seen it spinning pretty good.just not making any power. ive got this system that you will see on this video. http://youtu.be/aa1uyfhjgHY if you would like i can give you the info to log on.let me know. and thank you for yur'e comment
  • Cariboocoot

Okay you can't feed a 48 Volt turbine to a 24 Volt battery bank without an MPPT controller in between.
    See halfcrazy's previous post.

Disconnect the turbine from the battery bank - briefly - while it is spinning in the (low) wind and measure the Voltage being output from the turbine.

But do not leave the turbine up in the wind without a proper controller and dump load attached: one good gust and it's history.
  • Cariboocoot
    orlan7s wrote: »
    thanks i was not aware there was a MPPT controler for turbine. now you got me scared when you say brake it i hope you mean that it wont let it work up to that 48voltt.not literly that i broke it right? but if you take a look at this video and ive seen it spinning pretty good.just not making any power. ive got this system that you will see on this video. http://youtu.be/aa1uyfhjgHY if you would like i can give you the info to log on.let me know. and thank you for yur'e comment

Brake = stop.
    Break = not going to go again. :D

Probably the best controller you can get for this application right now: http://www.solar-electric.com/mnsolar.html
    (Be sure you are sitting down when you read the price.) :p
  • orlan7s
    Welcome to the forum.

Some "standard" info that might start filtering out the problem:

Even if a wind turbine starts to move in low wind speeds, there really isn't much power in low wind speeds so don't expect any significant output. This sort of claim is manufacturer's hype.

All wind turbines need a controller that has a dump load; they should not be allowed to "spin free" once the batteries are charged.

Now to the problem. On the test bench it produces power, but out in the wind it doesn't. Ask yourself: "What is different about these two scenarios?" If you're trying to feed a battery bank that is already charged, current will be very low (perhaps nothing) from the turbine. If you're testing it against "meters only" it may be that it needs Voltage available to excite the rotor windings (I can't tell from the link if it's a PMA or not - a typically technically vague, badly translated site). Your "turn by hand" test sounds as though it is a PMA - capable of producing Voltage without an exciter source.

And then there's the standard "check the wiring" caution. Bad slip ring? Something is changing between "spin by hand" and "turning in the wind" other than just putting the thing up a tower.

yes i agree with you on this. there is no pwer in low wind speed. now this is not my first turbine. my last one was making 10amps in 18mph and it would reach 28 amps in 30mph winds ive got a video on this.http://youtu.be/gm_vskq6qTY it was a 500w pma the company claims its a 750 but i did some reserch and the company where they buy it does not sell a 750..any ways since i dont have a charge controler i kept it on check 2 ways one grid tie. and 2 gen tran shitch. i would just put a load on it by running items in the home. becase even thow the batteries were fully charge this turbine would over power them.im looking to get a CC from here. morning star trystar dont know if i should go with 45 or 60 i was told by a member here to go with a MPPT MidNite Solar but thats kind of pricey. i could sell the outback 3524 and get the 3648 that would probably be the same thing. kuz i would have to buy 4 more batt @ 500.00 as far as an exciter source thats what ive been thinking that perhaps this particular turbine may have some kind of electrical system inside the back cone where the tale mounts. i did try to take it apart yesterday but it was on there real good so i just left it alone. also thought about the slip ring which actully what you see is not a slip ring. its just a way of connecting the 3phase wires. and if any of this components were bad when i hit the brake it would just keep going is this right?if you would like theres a way for you to see whats going on in real time. i have some cameras on my system. if your intrested i can give you the info on how to log on.thank's for you're input.check this video out on you tube. http://youtu.be/aa1uyfhjgHY
  • orlan7s
    Okay you can't feed a 48 Volt turbine to a 24 Volt battery bank without an MPPT controller in between.
    See halfcrazy's previous post.

Disconnect the turbine from the battery bank - briefly - while it is spinning in the (low) wind and measure the Voltage being output from the turbine.

But do not leave the turbine up in the wind without a proper controller and dump load attached: one good gust and it's history.

yea i tryed that on the AC side and DC side and in bothe times the voltage would go up verry quickly i also hooked up a car light bulb 12v and well that wasent verry smart on my part it blew all over my face.LOL lucky i were glasses.check out the video.youl probably get a good lagh out of it..http://youtu.be/YiS_GWTiqrQ ive also hooked up a small grinder to the rectifier DC side.just coming from the turbine no batteries hooked up. as you now a grinder will run on ac and dc and it ran it real hard
  • orlan7s
    Brake = stop.
    Break = not going to go again. :D

Probably the best controller you can get for this application right now: http://www.solar-electric.com/mnsolar.html
    (Be sure you are sitting down when you read the price.) :p

yea i seen that. the price is more then what i payed for the FLEXMAX 80 WOW. but if i were asured that i can keep my system the way i have it now 24volt.and it would work. it might hell it will be worth it. not sure what you mean when you put. Break = not going to go again
  • orlan7s

HI EVERY BODY THAT'S IN TO WIND POWER. IVE GOT A SYSTEM THAT CAN BE MONITOR BY ANYBODY WITH INTERNET ACCESS.FROM ANY PLACE IN THE WORLD ALSO CAN BE VIEWED ON ANY SMART PHONE LIKE THE IPHONE. I CAN ONLY ALLOW 10 VIEWERS AT A TIME FOR NOW IF YOUR INTERESTED LET ME KNOW AND I WILL PROVIDE YOU WITH THE NECESSARY INFORMATION LIKE THE /IP/LOG IN USER NAME/PASSWORD. IT WILL LOOK LIKE THIS.ALSO HERES A VIDEO I JUST UPLODED AND IT MIGHT SHEAD SOME LIGHT ON THE PROBLEM IM HAVING. http://youtu.be/UFn2DmsjWno Attachment not found. Attachment not found.
  • bmet
    bmet Solar Expert Posts: 630 ✭✭

Advertising?

Moderators?
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

bmet,
    that isn't advertising and if you think there ever is you can feel free to report it to us.

orlan7s,
    in viewing your video i saw it go to about 36v tops on that analog meter and was a tad lower most of the time. this isn't a good type of meter to use for any real accuracy for the record. i don't know what the wattage rating for your turbine is, but most turbines (even the big ones) will not put out much in the way of current with winds that low if at all. if you had a meter in line to measure current you would see a small current, but most likely too small to make any real difference in your batteries' state of charge. it is not uncommon for turbines to output about 1 tenth of their power rating with better winds around say 10mph or so. if your turbine is for instance 400w then it'll roughly output at 40w and with 36v seen on the output then this is about 40w/36v=1.1a. this may not be totally accurate of your system, but certainly can give you an idea of what can be transpiring there.

by the way, those ac switches won't last too long if pressed very hard in dc service due to arcing inside the switch. they can roughly handle about 1 tenth of their plate rating for dc.
  • keyturbocars
    keyturbocars Solar Expert Posts: 375 ✭✭

orlan7s, I have been running my HY-2000 2kW wind turbine with a Midnite Classic 150 for the past several months, and it has been working great. You would want to set up what's known as a "Clipper" to keep the wind turbine speed under control during very high winds or when the battery bank is fully charged. It's basically a dump load that loads down the turbine to keep the turbine voltage (which correlates to RPM) within a set limit. The Classic can be programmed to control this Clipper and works great. Midnite is also releasing their own Clipper than can be purchased ready to go (I suspect soon, if not already).

On your 1000W turbine, it would probably spin at higher RPM's than my larger 2kW turbine, so I suspect your peak output voltages could climb higher. I would probably recommend a Classic 200 or 250 to be able to safely handle the higher voltages that might be possible with your turbine. They would still have plenty of power handling capability for a 1kW turbine.

Edward
  • orlan7s

thats good that your turbine is working good for you. as for mine i dont have a clue as to why i get so little power out of it i had a 24volt batterie bank and what i did is add 2 12 volt small batteries the kind that you would use on a lawn mower tractor just to see if i could get some kind of power out of it and i have but verry litle so im thinking my turbine is a PMG and i know theres also PMA so does eneybody know if and what is the diffrence between them. also is there a diffrent in the bridge rectifier used here is a picture of the output ok well i guess i cant but heres a video on you tube i did on it. http://youtu.be/q3HzmIO342Q if you have any sugestion as to why im not getting the power thats promised plese let me kow what im doing wrong.thanks
  • keyturbocars
    keyturbocars Solar Expert Posts: 375 ✭✭

orlan7s,

Assuming your wind conditions are good, if you turbine is not outputting as it's supposed to, then it makes me wonder if the turbine itself is defective. It appears that what you bought was a Chinese knockoff of a Chinese HY Energy turbine. It might look the same on the outside, but the knockoff company might not have made it correctly. I'm assuming you've contacted the manufacturer. If so, what was their response?

I did contact that company in the past to question them about their designs and how they looked the same as the HY turbines. I was just curious if maybe they were getting their turbines from HY Energy and just rebranding them. They never responded to my question.

Edward