Recommend Efficient Fridge/freezer?

machineman
machineman Solar Expert Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
Can anyone recommend to me a good energy efficient Fridge/Freezer combo that is reasonably priced? Needs to run on 110VAC and be sized 12 to 18 cu-ft.

With my currnt Fridge if I get a couple cloudy days in a row my off-grid system can't get out of bulk charge and needs a few hours from the propane generator.

Thanks.

Off Grid Cabin, 24V 440ah 6V GC battery bank, Xantrex MPPT60-150 CC, Magnum MS4024 inverter-charger, >1200w Solar bank

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Recommend Efficient Fridge/freezer?

Instead of buying a new 'frige, why not spend the money on some more panel? You're a bit short for 440 Amp hours @ 24 Volts. Quite a bit by my calculations.
  • machineman

The Fridge in my garage at my primary house died so I need to get another fridge anyway and was thinking to buy a better one and swap it with the one at my off grid cabin.

I do need another panel. My calculations show I can only add one more in series before hitting the CC voltage limit in cold weather. Then I need to go parralel which would require a larger gauge wire (up to 6ga) for the 90ft run..

Off Grid Cabin, 24V 440ah 6V GC battery bank, Xantrex MPPT60-150 CC, Magnum MS4024 inverter-charger, >1200w Solar bank

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

It's just that your system seems to be in a condition of deficit charging anyway, and changing the 'frige (or any part of the load side) won't help that.

Those long wire runs are a problem. All the solutions are expensive as you probably already know. Big wire, big price. Change to Midnight Solar high Voltage controller; more money. Parallel wire runs aren't cheap either. No chance of getting some panel a bit closer to the batteries?

The refrigerator at my cabin is now 9 years old. It's a Whirlpool; no "energy star" rating, just 16 cubic foot. It has done well on first a 12 Volt system with MSW inverter and now the OB VFX 24 Volt system. Uses about 1200 Watt hours per day, plus defrost (500 Watt apparently random). 320 Amp hours of batteries keep up with the 'frige all right; it's the other stuff that's tricky.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

another frig may help if it consumes less power than your present one. the real problem is that when the sun isn't there, neither is the power to charge your batteries with even with another pv. if you can fit another pv in series then i do say go for it, but it is questionable if it would add enough into your system on very low light conditions to help put your batteries up to the absorb stage. the alternative is the genny in any case.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

The horse is probably out of the barn, but for an off grid cabin, tht is used less than full time, (and you have propane available) a propane fridge may be a better bet. As I have said before, for weekends nd the occasional vacation week, a propane wins hands down in terms of total cost net/net. The closer to full time, the more a good conventional comes out ahead.

T.
  • machineman

OK, since I need to buy a frdige/freezer anyway, I found a nice GE model GTH17DBCWW 16.5cu-ft on sale this week at BestBuy for $425. Its use is 35% below the federal standard which is among the best for that size. Its also one of the cheapest becuase it doesn't have all the extra junk (icemaker, digital bottuns, etc..).

Energy Star Fridge ratings.
    http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?fuseaction=refrig.search_refrigerators

I checked into the propane but decide against it becuase I would need to add a vent and they cost more. I will probbaly add another panel later this year if I can find a single 205w fa3 Evergreen locally to avoid the cost of shipping.

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

I got this 18 cuft frost free model (no ice maker) from HomeDepot (or last year's model?): GTH18HBCWW

Was on sale over 4th of July week... Now just under $500.

311 kWH energy rating... Hardly more power than the "free" 2 cuft dorm fridge it replaced.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • machineman

Yep, almost same fridge, the 16.5cuft one has rating 300KWH.

• waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭

16.5 cu ft fridge that uses only 300 kwh/yr?? Wow! Things have come a long way! If I got rid of one of my freezers, I could have one of those too :)
    Seriously, it's awesome to see manufacturers finally doing what should have been done decades ago.
    And frost free no less!