grape solar panels from costco

mattbatson
mattbatson Registered Users Posts: 22
Are these things of similar quality to what are sold by northern wind and sun? Like the well known name panels made by sharp or kyocero, etc.?

I ask only because I could obviously save a bit on shipping...I went to costco.com to see the prices, as I dont remember exactly what it was....but I think it was about 230 watt or some such for around 4 hundred or so...but on the internet they only show the kits, not the individual panels.

anyways, the price was very competitive, with no shipping, it beat what I could get online I would imagine.

thx

Comments

• bmet
    bmet Solar Expert Posts: 630 ✭✭
    Re: grape solar panels from costco

One member posting a negative opinion, lacking measurements or reason why product deserves to be called 'crappy', is not an opinion at all. Qualify the remark and share for the benefit of the forum.
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭

Spec sheet:
    http://www.costco.com/images/content/misc/pdf/576444.pdf
    Features:

* Pallet of 23 pieces 230 Watt Polycrystalline Solar Panels
        * Black Anodized Aluminum Frame
        * For use with on-grid or off-grid applications
        * Certified (TUV, UL, CEC, FSEC)
        * Output tolerance: 0% to +3%
        * Compatible to charge 12V batteries and appliances
        * Vmpp of 29.7V, Compatible with 12/24/48V MPPT Charge Controllers
        * Dimensions (each): 64.9” x 38.9” x 1.6”
        * Weight: 43.3 lbs per panel
        * Impact resistance on panels: Hail diameter of 28mm with speed of 86km/h
        * Converts direct and indirect sunlight into usable electricity for your home, 
           office, RV, etc.
        * Must be operated through a charge controller or an inverter (not included)
        * Model #: CS-P-230-DJ

Warranty Information:

* 25 year power output warranty, 10 year material and workmanship warranty

Costco is also selling complete kits with these panels
    http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=11630267
  • mattbatson
    mattbatson Registered Users Posts: 22
    solar_dave wrote: »
    Spec sheet:
    http://www.costco.com/images/content/misc/pdf/576444.pdf
    Features:

* Pallet of 23 pieces 230 Watt Polycrystalline Solar Panels
        * Black Anodized Aluminum Frame
        * For use with on-grid or off-grid applications
        * Certified (TUV, UL, CEC, FSEC)
        * Output tolerance: 0% to +3%
        * Compatible to charge 12V batteries and appliances
        * Vmpp of 29.7V, Compatible with 12/24/48V MPPT Charge Controllers
        * Dimensions (each): 64.9” x 38.9” x 1.6”
        * Weight: 43.3 lbs per panel
        * Impact resistance on panels: Hail diameter of 28mm with speed of 86km/h
        * Converts direct and indirect sunlight into usable electricity for your home, 
           office, RV, etc.
        * Must be operated through a charge controller or an inverter (not included)
        * Model #: CS-P-230-DJ

Warranty Information:

* 25 year power output warranty, 10 year material and workmanship warranty

Costco is also selling complete kits with these panels
    http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=11630267

yes, I saw that.
    But, since the price is so close to well known japanese manufactured panels, I'd probably rather take my chances with a kyocera or some such when it comes to my hard earned money.
    not to mention, I really want panels that are going to last 25 yrs or more, so should probably play it safe and stick with a well trusted manufacturer
  • Juram
    Juram Solar Expert Posts: 36

In Arizona you can buy that same size system WITH install, and pay less out of pocket then what Costco is charging for that 5K kit, on top of that, you'll get better panels and a professional installation to boot.
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    Juram wrote: »
    In Arizona you can buy that same size system WITH install, and pay less out of pocket then what Costco is charging for that 5K kit, on top of that, you'll get better panels and a professional installation to boot.

Tell me who is installing systems @ $3.35 a watt in AZ. I want to give them a call, with the APS $1.45 per watt rebates and a 30% credit from the Feds that is getting really cheap.

$16,999/5060=$3.35