Combining a 12 V and 24 V Inverter

BBDawg
BBDawg Registered Users Posts: 6
I would like to know if I can add a 12 volt 1500 watt inverter to my 24 volt system?

I have a 24 volt system, panels, controller, inverter and 4 ea 100 amp AGM batteries in both Series and parallel to get the 24 volts

My main inverter is a 24 volt Xantrex 1000 watt Pure Sign Wave inverter.
I also have a 2nd inverter which is an AIMS 1500 watt 12 volt modified sign wave, which I would like to know if I can add it to my existing 24 volt system.

I have some power tools that I would like to be able to run but need the surge of the 1500 watt inverter. This would be an occasional use inverter.

So, can I do this and how?
Thanks Randy
:confused:

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Combining a 12 V and 24 V Inverter

No simple way--You can use a 24 to 12 volt down converter and charge a second 12 volt battery bank--but that is about the only practical method.

Splitting 12 volts off 1/2 a 24 volt battery bank is a very bad idea. It will cause the "12 volt bank portion" to under charge, and the other part of the 24 volt bank to over charge (basically you will draw power from 1/2 the battery bank but 24 volt battery charger cannot direct energy to only the 12 volt portion of the battery bank--the 24 volt charger will have to over charge the upper 12 volt bank to get enough charging current into the lower 12 volt bank).

You should look for a 24 volt MSW inverter to do it right.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Seven
    Seven Solar Expert Posts: 292 ✭✭

Could that converter be hooked straight to the 12v inverter?
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Seven wrote: »

To handle what could be 150+ Amps - not likely you'd find a converter capable of that.

There is another way, however: have a separate 12 Volt battery bank and recharge it from the 24 Volt bank. This could be done with a lower power converter and a simple charge controller or with an MPPT (expensive) controller straight from the 24 Volt bank.

But I wouldn't count on that 12 Volt AIMS inverter actually supplying the surge current claimed/needed.

Bill's advice to get a decent 24 Volt inverter is best. As usual. :D
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Bill's advice to get a decent 24 Volt inverter is best. As usual. :D
    Agree totally! You can do it other ways, with a second battery package, converters, chargers etc, but it would be way over complicated and expensive. You'd be far far ahead to spend the money instead, on a good 24 volt inverter no matter which way you look at it.
    KISS and go for a good 24 volt inverter ;)
  • BBDawg
    BBDawg Registered Users Posts: 6
    Seven wrote: »

I only have a 24 volt inverter (on my 24 volt system) and the one I want to add is a 12 volt..

Looks like this is going to be a problem.. Thanks for the help guys but I am still hoping for a solution..
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    BBDawg wrote: »
    I only have a 24 volt inverter (on my 24 volt system) and the one I want to add is a 12 volt..

Looks like this is going to be a problem.. Thanks for the help guys but I am still hoping for a solution..

The only sensible solution would be to sell the 12 volt inverter, and buy a good 24 volt inverter. Unless of course you want to change your whole system to 12 volt and do away with the 24 volt inverter,which is not recommended.