djkorn1 Registered Users Posts: 4
    Re: Connecting Wind Generator to Heater
    BB. wrote: »

103 = "1,000" units of power
    203 = "8,000" units of power
    253 = "15,625" units of power
    303 = "27,000" units of power
    603 = "216,000" units of power
    Designing a wind system that can safely operate and supply "usable" power over a 216:1 range of power is not easy.

Thx! This breaks it down to me...didn't know the wind to power equation is Y=X3. This makes much more sense as to why it will not work. I had the thought in my head that it was Y=X, not knowing much about wind power
  • breakingbread
    breakingbread Registered Users Posts: 1
    Simple solution? I would need help with this from y'all, but this is the notion I had that brought me to this forum:

direct-connect a(n) (ideally AC) wind-generator to a heating element on a standard electric water heating tank, 40 gallons, and have that warmish water feed another water heater that actually heats the water, just with less energy because the water coming in to it is already heated sometimes, to some degree.  

Necessary equipment: wind generator with a built-in brake, special heating element rated more closely to the output of the generator, PMA to focus the output? These last specs are important and why I came to this forum to solve

• NANOcontrol
    NANOcontrol Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭✭
    I do this with solar.  I have an efficient shunt regulator that progressively turns on once PV voltage goes above MPP of panels and diverts energy to maintain an upper constant voltage.  I have never done wind, but I assume this is similar. when speed gets above a certain value as determined by voltage the load is increased. It is nearly impossible to find anyone who knows how to heat water on these RE boards.