Combiner for PV cable to DC load center

solaris3000
solaris3000 Registered Users Posts: 24 ✭✭
Looking for a way(economical) to adapt the stranded core + and - PV leads to a 12gauge solid core wire that will be connected directly to my SquareD load center and breakers.

Thanks for your time.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Combiner for PV cable to DC load center

Do you mean adapt the standard PV MC3/4 connectors to regular wire? That one's easy; buy an MC extension cable and cut it in half. You get a (+) pig tail and a (-) pig tail. The wire ends can be spliced to regular wire. These splices should be out of the weather, of course. Solder on & heat shrink wrap is good.
  • solaris3000

So I just need to splice/solder the + and - negative leads of the MC4 to my solid core AWG 12 + and - leads.

Works for me,,and thanks again....

regards
    Brian
  • solaris3000
    Re: Combiner for PV cables to DC load center

What about if I were to use a BUSBAR of some kind. I am thinking if I add more panels in the future I could run the PV cables to it and easily expand.

One for positive and the other for the pv negative cable. Then from the bus bars use shielded solid copper core AWG 12 or similar into the DC Load center via plastic conduit.......etc...etc..

Not sure if this is will work,, Feedback is greatly appreciated.

termBusBars_Lg.jpg
  • n3qik
    n3qik Solar Expert Posts: 741 ✭✭

If the wire is long enough, can run directly to the circuit breaker. The breaker can have solid or strained wire.
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    Looking for a way(economical) to adapt the stranded core + and - PV leads to a 12gauge solid core wire that will be connected directly to my SquareD load center and breakers.

Thanks for your time.
    The way this is usually done is with a transition box that has several two connector junction blocks, one connection for your PV wire and the other for your THHN (or whatever), and a terminal block for your equipment ground wire. You don't need to use solid core wire, by the way, stranded wire is fine and is a lot easier to work with. Soldered and taped splices are generally frowned upon by the NEC, if that sort of thing is important to you.