Honda 2000i question

SolarWombat
SolarWombat Registered Users Posts: 9
I'm finally going to buy a generator for backup power, alas. I've done without one for 4 years, but now that I have new expensive batteries (Surrette; 546 Amp/Hr @ 24V) I'm going to bite the bullet. I really like the Honda EU series because they're so quiet. However, I'm not sure if the Honda 2000i will do the trick because:

1. I read somewhere on this forum that the 13.3 A output isn't sufficient for equalization.

2. My Xantrex DR2424 Inverter/Charger owners manual suggests that the voltage might not be stable enough, but I can't say I understand this:

"The generator must be of the permanently installed type and not a portable type unit used for emergency power. Small emergency type (lower power) generators may not have a stable enough voltage for the inverter to synchronize to or provide enough current to fully charge the batteries.
The maximum charge rate the battery charger can deliver is dependant upon the
peak AC voltage available. Since the battery charger uses only the top portion of
the input sine wave, small variations in peak voltage result in large variations in
the amount of energy to the charger. The charger’s rated output is based on a
utility voltage of 120 Vac RMS (the usual measured value). This should have a
peak voltage of 169 Vacpp (230 Vac has a peak voltage of 325 Vac). For every 10
volts of peak lost, the charge rate is reduced by approximately half.
Size the generator appropriately for the system, including battery charge and load
current (typically twice the wattage output of the inverter)."

I notice that several folks in this forum have this Honda model. What do you think?

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: Honda 2000i question

The auto-throttle inverter generators do not suffer from voltage/freq wander issues like the CheapKrap 3600 8Kw 2hp gensets do.

Forget the integral 12V charger in the generator, use a regular battery charger, or the inverter's internal charger, it will sync up, as long as you have enough watts at the generator to feed the charger.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Déjà vu! :D

That warning in the DR manual doesn't really apply here. The Honda is an inverter type generator, and it's output is as clean and stable as you can get. It's better than many utility grids. :p

Also, the 13 Amps output is on the AC side. That's 1600 Watts of power. On a 24 Volt system @ 30 Volts it's over 50 Amps. You aren't going to need that for equalization. Bulk charging perhaps, but not EQ.

That's the only trouble spot: the power available has to be divided between the loads and the charging. If you can control your loads and/or get away with minimal charge rates it will be fine. But that bank of Surrette would want all the power to itself, at least during much of the Bulk stage.

I have one of these on my system but with a smaller battery bank. It works fine as long as you keep the big loads shut off so there are no surprises. I limit the charge capacity on the VFX3524 so it doesn't hog the whole output. The 'frige can cycle and everything else stays running, but the water pump must be switched off - just in case. It's too big for the gen anyway.

My Honda 1000, btw, has over 6000 hours on it with only routine maintenance.
  • SolarWombat
    SolarWombat Registered Users Posts: 9

Thanks C,

What do you mean by "You aren't going to need that for equalization."

What do I need for EQ? Are you saying I can bulk charge but not EQ, or that it's way more than enough for EQ?
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Thanks C,

What do you mean by "You aren't going to need that for equalization."

What do I need for EQ? Are you saying I can bulk charge but not EQ, or that it's way more than enough for EQ?

You're not going to need 50 Amps of current for equalization. EQ is a matter of elevated Voltage, and it usually doesn't take much current. Especially if you follow the instructions and turn the loads off (not a problem with the gen supplying the power).
  • Joe_B
    Joe_B Solar Expert Posts: 318 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

When I am equalizing my 740 AH trojan bank (8xL16-REB @ 24v) it starts off at about 10 amps and settles in at about 3-5 amps.