batteries not charging through charge controller

lotek
lotek Solar Expert Posts: 65 ✭✭✭✭
Im getting a low light reading on my charger, and its not charging
I must have a little problem with one of my splices because string 1 is reading 59V string 2 and 3 are at 78.8V as long as the breakers are off.
when I turn on breakers at the combiner box, they all read 4.2 at the combiner box and at the E-Panel with my meter still set the on 200v. Im guessing some settings are not right. The generator charges the batteries up, but I cant get the panels online with that Low light signal on

3 strings of 4X 210 sun 18.+v panels. XW 6048 inverter/
XW controller stacked on a midnite E-Panel /
8 6v 225AH Bat (another 8 on the way)

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: batteries not charging through charge controller

You're going to have to do the tedious take-it-all-apart-and-check-every-component thing, you know.
    If one string's Voc is 59 Volts it sound like one of the panels isn't producing for some reason.
    Try one string at a time and see what happens to the input Voltage on the controller.
  • lotek

FIXED IT!!

Stupid me! I miss-marked the + lead from string 3, so I had it wired backwards

That string subtracted voltage frome the other 2 giving me a grand total of 2 volts

I still have a poor connection somewhere in string 1 and am only getting 59 volts

out of it But I can live with that until this eve when it cools off a little on the roof.

Next project, 8 more batteries.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Watch the current--Panels hooked backwards will take any amount of current presented (i.e., instant destroyed panels if wired backwards to a lead acid battery).

Hopefully, you have not damaged that string.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • lotek

the low light cut off on the, charger ( Im guessing its low voltage) wouldn't allow the charger to cut on . It took bout 60 sec after I cut the charger back on before it cut it and started charging. At the moment its running the house with an extra 500W going to the batteries. The frig is running constantly until it gets cold.
    Samsung 32" (energywize) uses 3.8 AMPS max (stated on the lable)