Angles for RV Roof Mounted Panels

Fire Instructor
Fire Instructor Registered Users Posts: 9
I mounted my two 150W panels on top of my travel trailer today. I used self-designed pivot mounts that will let me either leave the panels flat or allow me to tilt the panels in any of the four axis of the panels. To tilt the panels, I need to cut "legs", which will support the panel off of the mounting pivot. The length of the leg will determine the angle. I plan on cutting several sets of legs to give me some degree of varied length.

So here's my question: I live in the Albany NY area, but travel both north and south from here. Two of my major annual boondocking trips take me to Assateague (Ocean City) MD in the summer, and another to Dover, DE in late September / early October. Is there somewhere I can look-up what angle my panels should be tilted at at various locations, at various times of the year?

Thank you for any help!

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Angles for RV Roof Mounted Panels

Well I like the Macslab info here: http://www.macslab.com/optsolar.html
    If you know the lat and long of the location you can dial it in very well.
    And if you don't know the lat and long you can find it: http://www.satsig.net/maps/lat-long-finder.htm
    :D
  • Fire Instructor
    Fire Instructor Registered Users Posts: 9

Thank you, Cariboocoot! Exactly the info I needed!
  • bmet
    bmet Solar Expert Posts: 630 ✭✭

I was trying to design a custom mount when I saw these Quick Connect Rods at Northern Tool. They are so fast and easy, I used them with my permanently-mounted panel at my storage shed.
    I mounted my two 150W panels on top of my travel trailer today. I used self-designed pivot mounts that will let me either leave the panels flat or allow me to tilt the panels in any of the four axis of the panels. To tilt the panels, I need to cut "legs", which will support the panel off of the mounting pivot. The length of the leg will determine the angle. I plan on cutting several sets of legs to give me some degree of varied length.

So here's my question: I live in the Albany NY area, but travel both north and south from here. Two of my major annual boondocking trips take me to Assateague (Ocean City) MD in the summer, and another to Dover, DE in late September / early October. Is there somewhere I can look-up what angle my panels should be tilted at at various locations, at various times of the year?

Thank you for any help!
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

bmet;

Do you lower that panel when the wind gets up? I don't see any supporting structure other than the panel itself, and they are pretty flimsy when the breezes pick up. Small pic on my screen so maybe I just can't see it. But panels themselves are not structural.
  • bmet
    bmet Solar Expert Posts: 630 ✭✭

Yes, I do lower it when the forecast looks severe. The top corners of the panel use loops of aircraft cable on two large hooks secured to the framing of the shed. I can disconnect and lift the panel off completely. There are tress on either side of the shed which help to diminish Northers so my rare concern is when Gulf storms get that far inland. Thanks for the reminder about strength. At the time my priority was on if it would work, not how well.
    bmet;

Do you lower that panel when the wind gets up? I don't see any supporting structure other than the panel itself, and they are pretty flimsy when the breezes pick up. Small pic on my screen so maybe I just can't see it. But panels themselves are not structural.
  • bluewickedburner
    bluewickedburner Solar Expert Posts: 78 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you for any help!

To make ir really simple, you can use your GPS to find your latitude. If you have a smartphone there are great apps that do this. From Android, one I really like is GPS Essentials, it has a configurable dashboard where you can simply tap once and see all that info.